Sheffield Wednesday and national service

Back in the 1950’s the nation was still in the depths of the effects of World War Two and young people were called upon for national service, this extended to our own players.

4A467844-715F-4F06-8588-A4F32E8ACDFA.thumb.jpeg.c6b3e00b7bbc8da74b9e0e64f0631c0a.jpeg

This March 1954 clip shows the club having to appeal to the British Army for the release of Quixall and Finney, due to a congestion of fixtures for the club.

1 hour ago, Will69 said:

Back in the 1950’s the nation was still in the depths of the effects of World War Two and young people were called upon for national service, this extended to our own players.

4A467844-715F-4F06-8588-A4F32E8ACDFA.thumb.jpeg.c6b3e00b7bbc8da74b9e0e64f0631c0a.jpeg

This March 1954 clip shows the club having to appeal to the British Army for the release of Quixall and Finney, due to a congestion of fixtures for the club.

Not sure what your point is? 

11 minutes ago, robowl4life said:

1) As well as contending with releasing players for internationals, injuries and so on we also had to beg the armed forces to release our players to play.

2) Different times, different priorities.

3) Does there have to be a point to everything? Can’t a snippet of history, a glance back to the past be posted just for people who are interested in such things?

19 minutes ago, Will69 said:

1) As well as contending with releasing players for internationals, injuries and so on we also had to beg the armed forces to release our players to play.

3) Does there have to be a point to everything? Can’t a snippet of history, a glance back to the past be posted just for people who are interested in such things?

I am interested... certainly was different times. Instead we get mardy little 19 year olds believing in their own hype... yet back then had to appeal to have our players delay/recall from national service. How times change eh?

Bit of a random subject though. Maybe a point scoring post? We’ve a poo load of injuries at the moment, can’t really compare it with national service. 

Guest mkowl

My Dad got out of national service because he worked in agriculture. In fact was ready to go and often regrets he didn't because he would probably have learned a trade but the farmer blocked it at the last minute.

Got to watch games at Owlerton though. He still calls the ground that 

4 hours ago, Will69 said:

We're your concerned all your posts are pointless...get a life and get a job!

9 hours ago, robowl4life said:

4 hours ago, Bolsover owl said:

We're your concerned all your posts are pointless...get a life and get a job!

8 hours ago, robowl4life said:

Bit of a random subject though. Maybe a point scoring post?

I’m deadly serious now, this isn’t hard POST NOT POSTER.

I have a job (I recently went from being employed back to self employed thanks), I have a life (I actually got news yesterday that I have no signs of pre cancerous tumors for the first time in over two years so this bit is particularly cutting) and I happen to find historical tidbits concerning the club interesting...

There doesn’t have to ‘be a point’ I am not ‘point scoring’ and I am sick to the back teeth of a small merry band of posters following me around with no other intention than to troll my posts.

@@owlstalk sort this crap out please mate.

Edited by Guest

5 hours ago, Will69 said:

I have a job (I recently went from being employed back to self employed thanks), I have a life (I actually got news yesterday that I have no signs of pre cancerous tumors for the first time in over two years so this bit is particularly cutting) and I happen to find historical tidbits concerning the club interesting...

There doesn’t have to ‘be a point’ I am not ‘point scoring’ and I am sick to the back teeth of a small merry band of posters following me around with no other intention than to troll my posts.

ignore it will. You made an interesting post again mate

5 hours ago, Will69 said:

Well Will69 I thought your post was interesting and thought provoking for a majority of fans who don't recognise National Service was an intrusion on your life you just have to live with back in the day. Remember Gerry Young  being a Nat service tug-o-war as we prepared to take on Manchester United, The MOD relented, we got Young in the squad and he repaid us by bagging a hat trick  in a 5-1 win !

Remember reading when Albert  Quixall  did his service ,He was cleaning his Army boots ,Sergeant  walks up to him says ,Sad news about one of your players Dooley ,Albert looked up to Derek Dooley like a big Brother ,Knew nothing that had happened at Preston ,Asked what had gone off .Sergeant told him. Albert just broke down in tears .Sad story.

11 hours ago, mkowl said:

My Dad got out of national service because he worked in agriculture. In fact was ready to go and often regrets he didn't because he would probably have learned a trade but the farmer blocked it at the last minute.

Got to watch games at Owlerton though. He still calls the ground that 

I got away with it too, national service call up ended in 1960, I was too young at the time. 

Did join later in 1976.

Edited by daleblue

18 hours ago, Will69 said:

What was the outcome of the appeal please?