Let’s not crucify a player that’s served our club tremendously well

14 minutes ago, shandypants said:

Let’s  show some class towards a player that has been class for us. Let’s not part with Loovens on a sour note after his great service and commitment he’s shown to us.   Let’s support him. 

Agreed.  

I think Loovens has been a good player for us over the years. And considering we got him in on a free, absolute bargain for the games he's played and the clean sheets he has contributed to. 

40 minutes ago, shandypants said:

Glenn Loovens looks like his legs have gone and his speed of thought and decision making seem terribly inconsistent which is resulting in him making some bloody awful mistakes and bad plays of late - he definitely looks like he’s coming to the end of his Wednesday career. What happens currently when he makes these mistakes? He gets fvcckking dog’s abuse from a good proportion of our fans. 

Loovens has served the Owls well and, at times over the years, held our defence together singlehandedly. I’m not saying we shouldn’t moan if Loovens makes a mistake but let’s refrain from making him the absolute villain. We used to long for him to return from injury to bring stability but now I hear the vicious descenting and cynical voices ringing out. 

Let’s  show some class towards a player that has been class for us. Let’s not part with Loovens on a sour note after his great service and commitment he’s shown to us.   Let’s support him. 

This should be our default attitude, unfortunately, we have a few that will hang anyone out to dry, be it a handful of games into a career at our club or as is the case with Loovens after some excellent service.

He should have entered this season as Club Captain for the final year but not as a regular starter, as you say he shouldn't be scapegoated for the mistakes of the regime. 

Edited by Morepork

45 minutes ago, shandypants said:

Glenn Loovens looks like his legs have gone and his speed of thought and decision making seem terribly inconsistent which is resulting in him making some bloody awful mistakes and bad plays of late

----

Let’s  show some class towards a player that has been class for us. 

I agree with your sentiment but I don't think the criticism of fans differs that much from yours, which is scathing enough.

Also, I would add that Loovens currently has the turning circle of a container ship.

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, Orlando_Trustful said:

He shouldn't still be playing, but it's not his fault that he is. 

He was great for a few seasons, especially 14/15 and 15/16. We should have looked at replacing him after Wembley, but sadly CC had far better ideas. 

Money shot right there mate.....needed to happen back then yet here we are still waiting to get the upgrade required.

CC pffff!

• Like 1

Says everything that he is still the best partner for Lees.

Does anyone feel safe with Fred or Joost alongside Tom? There is at least one major rick in each of them every game.

And, believe it or not, the best back-line statistically this season is in a 442 with a Lees-Loovens centre.

Is Glenn playing as well as prior seasons?   No

Was he awful for the second half v Ipswich ?  Yes

But, Do we have a better CB?   No

One of my favourite players, Glenn Loovens. Brilliant captain and defender for this level. Such an underrated player.

The performance away at Brighton in the playoffs stand out.  He stood up that night to a right old battering and he was easily man of the match. It says it all that Tom Lees always plays much better when next to Loovens who is the organiser. 

However, his legs have gone this year and as a consequence he has been diving in to challenges when he didn’t need to be doing it. He knows he has a problem and his decision making has been poor. Unfortunately, he looks like he’s aged 5 years this season.

He should be released at the end of the season but go with our best wishes and he will go down as one of our best captains over the last 20 years.

• Like 1

Looks ok in a solid, consistent, defence with Westwood behind him, and Lees alongside. 

I’d like to hear opinions next time Westwood is in goal, Hunt at right back, Pudil at left back, and Lees alongside Loovens i.e a proper set of defenders who know what they’re doing as a unit, with two central defenders who compliment each other.

Trouble is we’ve fecked about with the defence all season, due to injuries, suspensions, and clueless managers, and the lack of a settled defence has been at the root of our troubles all season, alongside a makeshift midfield that rarely has the right balance, and the lack of a Hooper / Nuhiu, Hooper / Fletcher partnership up front.

Get our players back from injury, hang on to them, and get a manager who isn’t out if his depth, then we’ll be challenging again next season.

A post for those who understand football.

6 hours ago, shandypants said:

Glenn Loovens looks like his legs have gone and his speed of thought and decision making seem terribly inconsistent which is resulting in him making some bloody awful mistakes and bad plays of late - he definitely looks like he’s coming to the end of his Wednesday career. What happens currently when he makes these mistakes? He gets fvcckking dog’s abuse from a good proportion of our fans. 

Loovens has served the Owls well and, at times over the years, held our defence together singlehandedly. I’m not saying we shouldn’t moan if Loovens makes a mistake but let’s refrain from making him the absolute villain. We used to long for him to return from injury to bring stability but now I hear the vicious descenting and cynical voices ringing out. 

Said it before say it again ,He should be a member of the coaching staff. He might not have the pace now , 2 Yrs back he would have been my first player on team sheet ,He reads the game well experience he can pass on to younger players ,It should not be lost.