With a fully fit squad- where would we finish next season?

Next season finish  

115 members have voted

1. 1. Next season- where will we finish?

• Champions
    • 2nd
    • 3rd-6th
    • 7th-12th
    • 13th-17th
    • 18th-21st
    • Relegated

If it's this squad 13-17th.

It'd be the FOURTH year of us trying to make the same squad work. The squad are old to begin with and a season injured will not have done their legs any good at all.

Furthermore other teams will see us coming a mile off - they could dig out their homework from years ago and it'd still be valid. We have many players who should still be in the mix but without revamp we'll be a known quantity.

To me the above is the secret to football, it was what Fergie was a master of. While there were ever-constants, he was ruthless in his squad renovation (even selling Mark Hughes, Andy Cole, van Nistelroy, etc when they were top of their game) and was always thinking 2-3 squads ahead.

We've completely failed to do this.

Edited by cbirks

42 minutes ago, lancashireowl said:

This is on the basis that we don’t make any major additions due to FFP ( as rumoured, not that I am saying this is true) and we only release those out of contract. 

I’ve gone for 7th-12th. 

WIth a full pre-season behind you - how many threads will you be able to start in 2018-19?

My immediate gut reaction to the title, before I opened the thread and saw the poll, was 'about 8th or 9th' if we had the exact same current squad fully fit. So I've stuck with that.

Depends a lot on the quality of who comes down (and up, to a lesser extent), of course, and on what the other teams around the same level as us do in the transfer market, so there are countless variables.

But on the whole I think we over-reached in CC's first two years and it's left us with unrealistic expectations of a squad who are very decent technically, but not physically at a level to push 20-odd other good Championship teams aside over 46 games. We won't hit those heights again without a fairly significant injection of pace and energy, IMO.

Edited by Mr. Tom

Depends on the manager and how he uses his resources.

Best case scenario: Playoffs, especially under a new manager.

Hard to tell with Jos, should be top half but could easily be mid table, the Champiomship will continue to be unpredictable.

Edited by sheffsteel

5 minutes ago, The Dukeries Owl said:

They were playing, how fit some of them were we'll probably never know (Forestieri, Keiran Lee and god knows who else)

Good point in fairness. Just can't see us competing for a top six place with what we have next season.

14 hours ago, i used to be sc_owl said:

The manager we have could be the difference between finishing 12th-18th or 1st-6th.

A quality and experienced manager at this level is the difference maker.  

Yep at the start of this season I predicted this squad under Carlos would finish 11th, and I got that horribly wrong! So I’m not about to start predicting we’ll finish higher under a manager who is yet to prove he inspires confidence and motivation to the players, certainly not during matches anyway.  When we’ve had a few games with the better players back I’m hoping to make a different prediction