Jon Newsome - "be careful what you wish for"

Kicking the ball long, usually by the goalkeeper and have absolutely no chance of picking up the second ball because our midfield is still stuck in our own half. For me, it is just too easy for the opposition.

We have no tempo, we don’t create many chances and overall we look dishevelled and out of sorts.

The solidity that Jos brought in at the beginning seems to have gone as well. We are constantly told that the players aren’t fit enough to play two games per week, they need rest and this week they get that opportunity.

The flip side is that the teams below us all have games and we don’t, sometimes you have to be careful what you wish for in this game because, if any of them get a result, we could quite easily see our league position alter dramatically without even kicking a ball!

Read more at: https://www.thestar.co.uk/sport/football/sheffield-wednesday/loyal-owls-fans-deserve-so-much-better-than-what-the-team-has-served-up-jon-newsome-s-sheffield-wednesday-column-1-9067253

Owlstalk Shop

1 hour ago, @owlstalk said:

Kicking the ball long, usually by the goalkeeper and have absolutely no chance of picking up the second ball because our midfield is still stuck in our own half. For me, it is just too easy for the opposition.

We have no tempo, we don’t create many chances and overall we look dishevelled and out of sorts.

The solidity that Jos brought in at the beginning seems to have gone as well. We are constantly told that the players aren’t fit enough to play two games per week, they need rest and this week they get that opportunity.

The flip side is that the teams below us all have games and we don’t, sometimes you have to be careful what you wish for in this game because, if any of them get a result, we could quite easily see our league position alter dramatically without even kicking a ball!

Read more at: https://www.thestar.co.uk/sport/football/sheffield-wednesday/loyal-owls-fans-deserve-so-much-better-than-what-the-team-has-served-up-jon-newsome-s-sheffield-wednesday-column-1-9067253

Not sure how this works as all teams have played the exact same number of games.

Perhaps Jon has awarded them an additional game. :picnic:

Our remaining fixtures

Leeds (A), Preston (H), Sunderland (A), Fulham (H), QPR (A), Hull (A), Reading (H), Wolves (A), Norwich (H)

So 4 at home and 5 away, 4 of the teams in Preston, Wolves, Fulham and Norwich all have things to play for a the top of the table, Sunderland, Reading, Hull are fighting for survival. I can see us beating Reading and maybe a point at QPR, I cannot see another win in the other 7 with the current team and match tactics. Sunderland are conceding goals but they are also scoring them we are creating no chances.

I think something needs to change in Jos mindset or we only need the teams below us to pick up and win here and there and we are in serious trouble.

Tomorrow is a massive game - if the team play with the same geriatric intent of previous games when they have had a full week to prepare then for me if we want to survive Jos needs to go, if the team come out and play for the shirt and try and win and lose so be it but the same dross we have had over the last few weeks and for me Jos will not be the guy to save us.

Hoping other teams below us are poor to save us is a very dangerous game to play and will end up in the 150th year being the one we got relegated. 

10 minutes ago, room0035 said:

Our remaining fixtures

Leeds (A), Preston (H), Sunderland (A), Fulham (H), QPR (A), Hull (A), Reading (H), Wolves (A), Norwich (H)

So 4 at home and 5 away, 4 of the teams in Preston, Wolves, Fulham and Norwich all have things to play for a the top of the table, Sunderland, Reading, Hull are fighting for survival. I can see us beating Reading and maybe a point at QPR, I cannot see another win in the other 7 with the current team and match tactics. Sunderland are conceding goals but they are also scoring them we are creating no chances.

I think something needs to change in Jos mindset or we only need the teams below us to pick up and win here and there and we are in serious trouble.

Tomorrow is a massive game - if the team play with the same geriatric intent of previous games when they have had a full week to prepare then for me if we want to survive Jos needs to go, if the team come out and play for the shirt and try and win and lose so be it but the same dross we have had over the last few weeks and for me Jos will not be the guy to save us.

Hoping other teams below us are poor to save us is a very dangerous game to play and will end up in the 150th year being the one we got relegated. 

Would you have foreseen a home win v Derby at Hillsborough?

• Haha 1

"nobody told me there would be days like these!"

13 minutes ago, room0035 said:

Our remaining fixtures

Norwich aren’t fighting for anything anymore. We will beat them imo. Also have a chance against both hull and Sunderland. Maybe nick a point vs Preston or Fulham.

Just now, Striggy said:

Would you have foreseen a home win v Derby at Hillsborough?

No but would it have been better to beat Derby or lose to Derby and beat Barnsley or Bolton we would have 1 less point but would have taken points off the teams below us.and been further away from the drop zone.

Just now, lancashireowl said:

Norwich aren’t fighting for anything anymore. We will beat them imo. Also have a chance against both hull and Sunderland. Maybe nick a point vs Preston or Fulham.

Fulham not a chance mate they are playing extremely good at the moment and if we start our usually sluggish way they will be 3 up after 20 minutes. 

Hull have won 3 on the trot and seem to have found the scoring touch and have a £10m striker that has just returned to fitness and though Sunderland are not winning games they are scoring goals. We on the other hand cannot defend at the moment and can'not score goals.

Can you see us scoring 2 goals in a game this season as we cannot keep clean sheets so we will need to do this to win games. For me I would swop keeper tomorrow for Dawson and play Joao and Rhodes from the start set up 4-4-2 with Dawson, Pudil, Lees, Van Aken, Hunt, Reach, Pelpupessy, Hutch, Boyd, Joao, Rhodes.

Hutch won't last but if he gives us 45 minutes and Jones for second half we might have a chance. if however Loovens, Buttercup, Nuihu or Fox are in the starting line up we will be looking at another away defeat.

• Haha 2

Not saying he's wrong, but JN has got to be about the most finger-wagging Wednesday fan I've ever heard.

He always comes across like a narky mechanic, sucking his teeth and muttering darkly to himself about whoever 'had it last'.

lol

(That's on a good day. On a bad day he's like a one-man Praise or Grumble phone-in after we've just lost 13-0 to the Dingles.)

:picnic:

Edited by Mr. Tom
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, room0035 said:

Our remaining fixtures

I think you are about right with your predictions with the remaining games. Only QPR have nowt to play for, but Ollie will have them up for every game , look at their result midweek. 

Just now, S36 OWL said:

I think you are about right with your predictions with the remaining games. Only QPR have nowt to play for, but Ollie will have them up for every game , look at their result midweek. 

I know we can only hope we get some back that want it in Bannan and Fessi because the team are showing no attacking threat in games, we have Joao playing his heart out and the other 10 looking like they are already on holiday.

This column seems to have been written before the games on Tuesday evening.

The teams below us no longer have games in hand.

Either Newsome of the Star need to get their act together and publish news not history.

5 minutes ago, Blatter said:

This column seems to have been written before the games on Tuesday evening.

The teams below us no longer have games in hand.

Either Newsome of the Star need to get their act together and publish news not history.

Why change now ?

lol

16 minutes ago, Mr. Tom said:

Not saying he's wrong, but JN has got to be about the most finger-wagging Wednesday fan I've ever heard.

He always comes across like a narky mechanic, sucking his teeth and muttering darkly to himself about whoever 'had it last'.

lol

(That's on a good day. On a bad day he's like a one-man Praise or Grumble phone-in after we've just lost 13-0 to the Dingles.)

:picnic:

My opinion exactly - it actually (almost) depresses me listening to his negativity - I'm all for honesty but come on John WAWAW lol

• Haha 1