Jump to content


dunsbyowl

60 years ago today

Recommended Posts

15 March 1958 - Wednesday & @England #Legend Ron Springett made his debut for the Owls. His appearance in the 1-0 win over @OfficialBWFC was the 1st of 384 appearances he would make over the next 9 years. #WAWAW

 

springett_zps9t2dq1se.jpg.0e7000c6a30712af0afe2760f137e184.jpg

  • Like 4

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites


Some good advice offered there, always have Peter Johnson on the post at corners. I would say the match is a 4-1 defeat at Ipswich Sept 30th 1961.

 

Plenty of grass .'. early season. V necks on opponents ...Sherlocks verdict.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

thats highbury ......at a guess it's opening day 1959 and we won 0-1 .......that 4-1 defeat to Ipswich was at Hillsboro nev 

  • Agree 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, torryowl said:

thats highbury ......at a guess it's opening day 1959 and we won 0-1 .......that 4-1 defeat to Ipswich was at Hillsboro nev 

 

I've seen that picture many times and as torry suggests it was the Arsenal game; our first back in Division One

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, fredmciverslovechild said:

 

I've seen that picture many times and as torry suggests it was the Arsenal game; our first back in Division One

it was my 1st avatar when I joined  OT ...........year after year i'd go to see us at highbury and year after year we'd get beat , I kept going safe in the knowledge that the law of averages said i'd see us win one day .......I got that bugger wrong . 

  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Spot on Torry, the V neck threw me can't recall Arsenal in V necks.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

That photo, in colour, featured on the front cover of the F.A. Annual Handbook (for the year about 1961?).

 

One of my prized possessions, I still have it somewhere.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 hours ago, dumboldowl said:

That photo, in colour, featured on the front cover of the F.A. Annual Handbook (for the year about 1961?).

 

One of my prized possessions, I still have it somewhere.

There you go Sir!

1960 61 Yearbook.jpg

  • Like 1
  • Agree 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Yes Dunsby, that's the one. With another Langwith lad, Alan Finney, in the background if I'm not mistaken.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

My memory must be playing tricks! I must be one of the few Wednesday fans who have actually seen us win at Arsenal(only twice post war ) I missed the 61-62 2-1 win but was there for the August 1959 game. I thought we played in all white that day - I can still picture Fantham side footing the winner! However, it was an extremely sunny day I remember and the F.A. Yearbook seems to confirm it. Can you confirm please Dunsby?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 25/04/2018 at 18:12, Colin Dobson said:

My memory must be playing tricks! I must be one of the few Wednesday fans who have actually seen us win at Arsenal(only twice post war ) I missed the 61-62 2-1 win but was there for the August 1959 game. I thought we played in all white that day - I can still picture Fantham side footing the winner! However, it was an extremely sunny day I remember and the F.A. Yearbook seems to confirm it. Can you confirm please Dunsby?

slightly before my time , what kind of following would we have had at highbury in 1959 ??? 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 24/04/2018 at 11:13, dunsbyowl said:

There you go Sir!

1960 61 Yearbook.jpg

That's THE kit!

 

Please Mr Chansiri!

Pretty please!

Pretty, pretty please!

  • Agree 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 03/06/2018 at 04:36, Utah Owl said:

That's THE kit!

 

Please Mr Chansiri!

Pretty please!

Pretty, pretty please!

 

Just going through some of the history section cos the match day section has been very quiet during the international break.

 

Couldnt agree more Utah that this kit is fabulous. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Wasn’t the 1961 Arsenal game above the one where a certain highly-promising reserve called Dougie McMillan got badly injured in a coach crash at Alconbury on the A1, when the team were returning ? It finished his career.

this kit was and still is my favourite all-time Wednesday kit.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On ‎07‎/‎02‎/‎2019 at 10:53, owlsite said:

Wasn’t the 1961 Arsenal game above the one where a certain highly-promising reserve called Dougie McMillan got badly injured in a coach crash at Alconbury on the A1, when the team were returning ? It finished his career.

this kit was and still is my favourite all-time Wednesday kit.

boxing day 1960 …...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

×