Phil Parkinson says Sheffield Wednesday fans are moaning too much about Nuhiu

Adthe Nuhiu Sheffield Wednesday.jpg

Sheffield Wednesday striker Atdhe Nuhiu isn’t having the best of seasons, he’s scored just five times in 30 appearances and is currently on an eight-game barren run.

The Kosovan international joined the Owls from Austrian side Rapid Wien in 2013 on an initial three-year deal, with an extension granted in July 2016.

He’s made 184 appearances in the blue and white of Wednesday, scoring 29 times. He’s often come under fire from his own fans, but rival manager Phil Parkinson spoke positively of his impact, in the context of the challenge he posed young defender Reece Burke.

“Sheffield Wednesday was a huge test because the player he (Burke) was marking, Atdhe Nuhiu, is a big unit who gets a load of stick from the Wednesday fans,” he told the Bolton News.

“I’ve seen him come off the bench loads of times and the fans start moaning – but right now he looks like a better player, to me, because there are a lot of games in the players’ legs.”

The two sides drew 1-1 at the weekend with Nuhiu coming off after 77 minutes. George Boyd put Wednesday ahead on 78 minutes before Aaron Wilbraham equalised in injury time.

That result leaves Wednesday 18th in the table, eight points clear of the bottom three and two clear of Parkinson’s Bolton in 20th.

Owlstalk Shop

9 minutes ago, unkastav said:

Wheres the moaning and how does he know? And wtf has it got to do with him? conker 

He probably reads Owlstalk.

Realistically who gives a rats ass what Phil Parkinson says.

We have a striker who at mid 20's is unable to play 180 minutes of competitive football in a week. If I was in charge i would not be paying him as he is over weigh and unable to play all the games. His performance initially under Jos were ok but the last few weeks he has become more and more of a passenger to the team.

For me though Big Dave is a nice guy - we should not be renewing his contract in the summer.

6 minutes ago, ThisCityIsOurs88 said:

No idea how he’s managed to stay here so long. 

29 goals in 184 appearances is dreadful for a striker.

Very misleading because he often comes on as a late sub.

29 goals in his 8000 minutes in a Wednesday shirt is not great but not terrible either. Not on a par with goal-poachers like Hooper, Rhodes etc, but on a par with many a big target man striker in the Championship. 

1 minute ago, room0035 said:

We have a striker who at mid 20's is unable to play 180 minutes of competitive football in a week. If I was in charge i would not be paying him as he is over weigh and unable to play all the games. His performance initially under Jos were ok but the last few weeks he has become more and more of a passenger to the team.

For me though Big Dave is a nice guy - we should not be renewing his contract in the summer.

This, along with Wallace, Loovens, Hutch & whoever else's contracts are up. All nice guys, but being a nice guy isn't going to get us where we want to be. A complete clear out is needed, even some of the ones who are still under contract need shifting out, although easier said than done. Complete rebuilding job needed. It's going to be hard enough as it is  without just papering over wall cracks.

4 minutes ago, room0035 said:

In truth, none of our strikers are able to play 180 minutes Saturday-Tuesday.

Hooper and Fletch we’re used thus by Carlos and they broke down. Joao certainly has struggled to play consecutive games. Forestieri has complained of fatigue and asked to sit out matches.

Our fitness has been abysmal. 

Oh dear me Parkinson what have you done?! 

Dont you know Owlstalk is populated with world class managers and they say he's no good! 

lol 

Before anyone bites and throws their toys far from the pram, 

I don't think he's fantastic nor do I believe he's as awful as some on here would have you believe, he's an impact player, offers an extra option that not many teams have and personally I'd offer him a 2 year deal and flog him at the end of next season if he wants to go 

Guest Xxxxxxxxcxcc
2 minutes ago, Holmowl said:

In truth, none of our strikers are able to play 180 minutes Saturday-Tuesday.

Hooper and Fletch we’re used thus by Carlos and they broke down. Joao certainly has struggled to play consecutive games. Forestieri has complained of fatigue and asked to sit out matches.

Our fitness has been abysmal. 

100% agree. IF Jos stays I'm certain that the players will 'suffer' a far more attritional pre-season than they've been used to for a while and rightly so. It's not just the ability to perform but you'd have to think that there's a link between the fitness levels and the catalogue of injuries.

Guest Xxxxxxxxcxcc
2 minutes ago, LJH1867OWLS said:

Oh dear me Parkinson what have you done?! 

Dont you know Owlstalk is populated with world class managers and they say he's no good! 

lol 

Before anyone bites and throws their toys far from the pram, 

I don't think he's fantastic nor do I believe he's as awful as some on here would have you believe, he's an impact player, offers an extra option that not many teams have and personally I'd offer him a 2 year deal and flog him at the end of next season if he wants to go 

I've defended Nuhiu consistently but I suspect that, along with all the other players at the end of their contracts, he'll not be retained.