What a wonderful time ! #OnThisDay 25 Years Ago

For the first time in a generation Wednesday had qualified for a major Cup Final. #OnThisDay 25 years ago Wednesday were on the Way to Wembley after beataing Blackburn 2-1 at Hillsborough in the Semi Final  2nd Leg of the League Cup.  Att 30,048 Bright  & @ Hirst.  Wednesday won 6-3 on aggregate.  The 1st of 4 visits and cue a obligatory Wembley Cup Final song!

5aa8c35d17d41_Blackburn93.thumb.jpg.b89b8c9d0d6f4d524cb086671ec165bf.jpg

93_zpsc3e97ac5.jpg.46712d6909c2d53cb3e0b25cb6e2e322.jpg 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 3

Guest Jack the Hat
4 minutes ago, dunsbyowl said:

For the first time in a generation Wednesday had qualified for a major Cup Final. #OnThisDay 25 years ago Wednesday were on the Way to Wembley after beataing Blackburn 2-1 at Hillsborough in the Semi Final  2nd Leg of the League Cup.  Att 30,048 Bright  & @ Hirst.  Wednesday won 6-3 on aggregate.  The 1st of 4 visits and cue a obligatory Wembley Cup Final song!

Didn't we also reach the same final 2 years before when we won it?

4 minutes ago, dunsbyowl said:

What a team the first half of the first leg at Blackburn was the best performance from a Wednesday side I've ever seen .

Guest mkowl

Yes perhaps winning it in 1991 never happened 

But in all seriousness that period was the pinnacle of watching a quality Wednesday team.

Remember that game as my sister got married the day before down in Epping, didn't have a car so had a stupidly early start to get tube, train and bus to the match. Worth it though.

Guest mkowl
7 minutes ago, watty said:

What a team the first half of the first leg at Blackburn was the best performance from a Wednesday side I've ever seen .

And in typical fashion we went a goal down before producing Barcelona esque flowing football. For those if you under 35 I promise you that is no exaggeration

I used a compass to scratch off the face of players who left the club as they did from my special cup winners pencil tin from 91. Anyone else have one? 

I remember Roly's mis-cue at Hillsborough that nearly ended in an own goal. I was on the Kop, just above pitch level looking straight down the line of it. It curled round like a massé shot. Brilliant times....

Imagine if the 92/93 season took place now with modern day match ticket prices?

42 league games

8 FA Cup Games

9 League Cup Games

4 European Games

Not to mention that those games included 4 games at Wembley and 2 games abroad and also not including Travel and Pints.

Sheffield Wednesday fans would literally go bankrupt.

UTO!!!

Edited by Kosovo'sNo.9
Adding something else
  • Haha 1

4 hours ago, Kosovo'sNo.9 said:

Imagine if the 92/93 season took place now with modern day match ticket prices?

42 league games

8 FA Cup Games

9 League Cup Games

4 European Games

Not to mention that those games included 4 games at Wembley and 2 games abroad and also not including Travel and Pints.

Sheffield Wednesday fans would literally go bankrupt.

UTO!!!

I still refuse to work out the cost of that season.  It would dilute the magic!

:ghoulguy:

6 hours ago, dunsbyowl said:

Those two keepers look a little suspect lol 

7 hours ago, mkowl said:

And in typical fashion we went a goal down before producing Barcelona esque flowing football. For those if you under 35 I promise you that is no exaggeration

This. For those of us who are old enough to remember it, we are fortunate to have witnessed such a performance. Some will say that we were better in the Wembley Semi a few eeks later but I think that is swayed by it being against the great unwashed and the fact that it should have been 10-1. Blackburn were a good side though and we absolutely destroyed them. I was sat in the home end and even there fans were in awe of us.

• Thanks 1