Is there a place for religion in football?

2 minutes ago, Mr. Tom said:

Scientifically speaking, there's just as much - if not more - onus on us non-believers to disprove religion, isn't there?

By definition, you don't have to prove anything for something to be a possibility - which is what many believers would say they're backing - but something being an impossibility is an absolute state, and would require hard evidence to be classified as such.

If said to you I have an invisible unicorn in my garage you would demand extraordinary evidence to prove it to you.  Extraordinary claims require extraordinary evidence.

The onus is on the one making the claim.  

1 minute ago, Watson said:

If said to you I have an invisible unicorn in my garage you would demand extraordinary evidence to prove it to you.  Extraordinary claims require extraordinary evidence.

If you went round saying you had an invisible unicorn in your garage you'd probably get sectioned :ghoulguy:

• Haha 1

Just now, Costello 77 said:

This is plainly wrong.

You're lucky that I'm having my nails gelled tonight or I'd argue you out of the ring.

WTF!?

Ethics are a social construct, not a religious one. It's perfectly possible to have a code of ethics in any secular group.

I'm agreeing with you that 'evil' by name is generally associated with religion.

1 minute ago, Mr. Tom said:

Ethics are a social construct, not a religious one. It's perfectly possible to have a code of ethics in any secular group.

I'm agreeing with you that 'evil' by name is generally associated with religion.

So all religion is evil?

3 hours ago, Bulgaria said:

Absolutely,  but why do they do it when they know the cameras are watching them?

Self importance if you ask me.

Similar thing that made me cringe was Gareth Bale holding up his boot with "RIP Gary Speed" on them, showing them to the crowd and the camera when he scored a goal... i mean whats he trying to say?   Is he wanting the world to know how much he cares or what.

Pratt.

Think generally they are just attention seeking with a sense of look at me aren't I caring and wonderful.

3 minutes ago, Watson said:

FYI, I agree with you on the actual subject we're talking about, but the burden of proof lies with whoever states it as fact. A possibility isn't a fact, but an impossibility is.

I find that quite often it's us nonbelievers who present it as an impossibility, rather than an unlikelihood, and therefore the burden of proof lies more with us. Believers are just that - believers. A 'belief' is by definition not based on a fact; you can't 'believe' something you KNOW to be true.

2 minutes ago, Mr. Tom said:

You do well to agree with me Mr.Tom.

I'm an intellectual powerhouse.

I'm having little owls on my nails with a green background....it's a bit of a waste of money really.. nobodyll see them when I put my socks back on.

WTF!?

• Haha 2

4 minutes ago, s73owl said:

So all religion is evil?

What? No! We were just discussing whether or not 'evil' per se was a religious construct, which we largely agree that it is.

However I was pointing out that ethics aren't reliant on religion, no matter how much the concept of 'evil' is associated with faith.

2 minutes ago, Costello 77 said:

You do well to agree with me Mr.Tom.

I'm an intellectual powerhouse.

I'm having little owls on my nails with a green background....it's a bit of a waste of money really.. nobodyll see them when I put my socks back on.

WTF!?

I know it sir, I know it. I just don't know what's good for me. lol

Edited by Mr. Tom

1 minute ago, Mr. Tom said:

FYI, I agree with you on the actual subject we're talking about, but the burden of proof lies with whoever states it as fact. A possibility isn't a fact, but an impossibility is.

I find that quite often it's us nonbelievers who present it as an impossibility, rather than an unlikelihood, and therefore the burden of proof lies more with us. Believers are just that - believers. A 'belief' is by definition not based on a fact; you can't 'believe' something you KNOW to be true.

But believers also claim their belief is the truth.  

1 minute ago, Watson said:

Evey man knows that there is a God so man has never been without religion

You are confusing religion with spirituality. "Religion" is primarily a system of social control, it has very little to do with peoples' connections with divinity, despite all its pretence to the contrary.