Is there a place for religion in football?

1/3 of the world are Christian, almost 1/2 the world are other religions

What we fail to see in our affluent, materialistic driven culture is that we are in the minority.

As football is not just English and our game welcomes all nationalities and cultures then I'd have to say yes it does.

7 minutes ago, davethemagicweasel said:

I find people praying for help with a sporting event bizarre.

If there is a god I'd hope he's focusing on the famines, wars, etc over a football match.

Well, he's ignored them since we were kids in the 70's. War in the middle east, famine in Africa still going strong.

Why would he start sorting them out now? :biggrin:

Proof, if ever it were needed, that all religion is shyte & just something for the weak to cling to. It neither enhances your life, for the better, nor prolongs it. Sadly, cancer is more reliable.

54 minutes ago, HighworthOwl said:

I make a silent prayer when we get a corner. God must hate me as it never beats the first man! 

I was going to say: Go ahead and stop doing that.

Same thing if you're responsible for our dismal free kick record.  You cut out that praying stuff and let's see what happens on the pitch!

• Like 1

Guest Bulgaria

Daniel Sturridge is the worst, i see him pray more times than Abu " the hook, face like a bag of smashed crabs  Hamzer.

I would like to tell Mr Sturridge that his praying dont seem to be working as he has had more injuries than the six million dollar man.

19 minutes ago, The only way is S6 said:

Well, he's ignored them since we were kids in the 70's. War in the middle east, famine in Africa still going strong.

Why would he start sorting them out now? :biggrin:

Proof, if ever it were needed, that all religion is shyte & just something for the weak to cling to. It neither enhances your life, for the better, nor prolongs it. Sadly, cancer is more reliable.

That's quite an opinion. Well I confess to being weak and needing God in my life. Can you offer anything other than synicsm as an alternative to those who are so weak and believe there might be something more to life? I mean anything? 

Edited by briggowl

Yes.

Thats all there is to it. And I’m not even remotely religious. It is freedom of expression, let them get on with it and stop being bitter about it.

1 minute ago, El Wednesday said:

Wednesday fans seemed happy to belt out 'God Save the Queen' at Swansea. I'm not really sure why. 

To remind the Welsh she is Queen there too?