Anyone know what game this was?

1 hour ago, belfast owl lad said:

definitely is crerand.

Yes it is mate.

I put the link there to show that he didn't play in the 5-4 game.

But as we now know it was the 1-1 game & Crerand did play in that one.

Great picture!!

5 hours ago, Ibbo48 said:

Yes . I’m sure it’s the 5-4 in 1968.

Whitham scored after 2 mins. You can just see 1-0 scorer number 11 on the scoreboard. 

The picture is of Best equalising about 10 mins later.

Anyone who was there will tell you it’s the best match they’ve ever seen.

Whitham went on to score 4 altogether then signed for liverpool

99% sure I was there but I can't remember a thing.

The 5-4 will always live in the memory though.  The mancs were European champs. 

I was probably disappointed that we only drew.  We regularly pasted Man u at home but usually lost away.  

Missed this match, but went to the 5-4 match.

Also went to the earlier game, a night match on 10th April 67 ended 2-2 sat in upper tier of the Lep. If memory serves me right Ritchie equalised just before half time with a header at the Leppings Lane end, off the underside of the bar. Fantham got a late second half equaliser at the Kop end.

Also remember Best weaving his way through our defence, slid the ball past Ron Springett, and Don Megson coming from nowhere to kick the ball off the line.

First time I'd witnessed crowd trouble at that match too. Loads of Man U fans on kop, kicking off at half time, with Wednesday fans spilling onto the pitch to get away.

4 hours ago, marconi said:

Missed this match, but went to the 5-4 match.

Also went to the earlier game, a night match on 10th April 67 ended 2-2 sat in upper tier of the Lep. If memory serves me right Ritchie equalised just before half time with a header at the Leppings Lane end, off the underside of the bar. Fantham got a late second half equaliser at the Kop end.

Also remember Best weaving his way through our defence, slid the ball past Ron Springett, and Don Megson coming from nowhere to kick the ball off the line.

First time I'd witnessed crowd trouble at that match too. Loads of Man U fans on kop, kicking off at half time, with Wednesday fans spilling onto the pitch to get away.

Yeah i remember the april 67 game,it was a monday,two days after the heartbreaking quarter final at stamford bridge,when my brother broke his leg on the escalator at the tube station.

Bobby Charlton got two goals in two minutes just before half time.John Fantham scored four minutes after the break and Ritchie equalised just before the hour.George Best was carried off by the trainer and asst manager (Wilf Mcguinness) and had some lenghty treatment

8 hours ago, Bronco Blue said:

Is F on the scoreboard reporting United being tonked 5-2? Oh, I hope so.

To add to other comments, the 5-4 was a gloriously sunny day (in more ways than one) so I am leaning towards the 1-1, especially as the 'minutes played' shows the game is in the second half and the 5-4 had more goals in the first half. And yes, definitely Sam Ellis.

Pigs lost to Man city away that day and were relegated that season :)

We missed relo by two points but won at the stain.

2 hours ago, Bronco Blue said:

Heartbreaking quarter final... Yes, I remember it well. Baldwin, I think, shanked a shot off his shin in the last minute or so and the ball bobbled agonisingly past Ron Springett. Can't say I like Chelski much these days but there was rarely much to admire about them before they got rich quick. I suppose they saw that wretched miskick as 'revenge' for us beating them at Villa Park in the '66 semi but Chelsea didn't deserve it.

As for the scum that call themselves Manchester United fans I still recall seeing one of them, from the middle of a knot of fellow cretins, throw an empty beer bottle from the back of the Kop towards the front of the crowd, probably before the 5-4 game. I can only hope it struck one of his own fellow 'fans'

Remember both those things well.

At Stamford Bridge we were stood behind the goal and watched that mishit shot by Baldwin take an eternity to roll over the line with Ron wrongfooted. We didn’t deserve to lose. Was sure we were going to Wembley again that season. We never seemed to win in London in those days. Certainly every trip I had there resulted in a miserable return journey.

As somebody else as said, the Man Utd matches were about the only time you’d ever see real crowd trouble at Hillsborough..They were often on the terrace and on the Kop near us. Segregation wasn’t an issue in those days and they had an underclass of scummy supporters who were extremely hostile.