Sunderland (A) Travel

21 hours ago, wak1309 said:

I've just looked. Must be missing something cos I've seen £136 open return for me and the Mrs!!

Worked out cheapest for us getting an offpeak day return Sheffield to York, booking cheap singles from York to Newcastle and Newcastle to York (it's the same train so you don't have to change), and paying for the metro on the day for Newcastle to Sunderland and back. 

Have a drink at Newcastle, the metro ticket is £5.10 for all day travel, Sunderland is a 30 minute trip. If you get there early and want to make a day of it you could even use the metro to have some time at the seaside either at Whitley Bay or South Shields!

2 hours ago, king carlos said:

I arrive at Newcastle for just after 10 going to have a few there then get metro to Sunderland about 12ish how far is Whitley bay that could be fun drinking there?

16 miles apart, bit of a trek. 

It's about half an hour on the metro from Newcastle to Whitley Bay - so you'd need to allow an hour to get to Sunderland from there, half an hour back to Newcastle and then change for the half an hour to Sunderland, there isn't a direct route.  Or if you were drinking at South Shields that's on the "right" side of the river and you wouldn't need to go all the way back to Newcastle to change.

https://www.nexus.org.uk/metro/timetables-stations