George Hirst banned from playing for the first team

I don't mind them sticking to their guns on the contract, but may as well play him at this point if he hasn't got any intention of signing - not that he'll be the answer to all problems

Edited by jomaco

2 minutes ago, welsOwl74 said:

He got 40 goals against some kids last season ,impressive yes.but apparently we should be offering good wages on the chance he might turn out good

Yep agree he might not be up to it and I am quite happy to accept us deciding we can't or won't meet his terms.

But that's about the future. This year he is our player. The manager should be able to play him if he chooses. Anything else is absurd

4 minutes ago, welsOwl74 said:

All at youth level, played against league 2 team and couldn't handle it, if he supposedly loves Wednesday as much as people on here claim, he'd have signed the contract that he was offered and proved he deserved more, not have his daddy yell abuse

This is the $64 question. Listening to a discussion on the radio a while ago on youth players academies and why not many make it. There were some ex players on the panel saying that the difference in levels of skill pace etc is huge and some youth players just can't handle the step up

If DC thinks he’s not worth what Hirst’s advisors are asking for then he should be free to seek employment elsewhere for those who thinks he is.

Its called the market. Unfortunately for DC and his ilk in business, it cuts both ways, not just the way it suits them. Hence the hissy fits.

Being an East Yorkshire resident, I’m fully aware of the complete muppetry ruining Hull City. I couldn’t imagine owners being much worse, actually going out of their way to pi$$ fans off. Then the inevitable fan backlash happens and they throw a mighty strop when they don’t get their way. 

Well I’ve got to say DC is cut from the same cloth. 

Edited by pussface

Another post to be banned . Some eighteen months ago, whilst attending an arranged birthday bash at Hillsborough, we were told by no less a person than the aforementioned Mr.David Hurst, an employee of the club at the time, when his lad would be signing  , and were told in no uncertain terms that he would not. This was said to a party of approx 10 of us, and is NOT hearsay.

One point that we are all conveniently overlooking is that young Mr. Hurst, impressive though his record is, and I hope will be, is still unproven at Championship level.Everyone looks on him as a saviour. He is still unproven. 

1 minute ago, darra said:

This is the $64 question. Listening to a discussion on the radio a while ago on youth players academies and why not many make it. There were some ex players on the panel saying that the difference in levels of skill pace etc is huge and some youth players just can't handle the step up

Watched him against Chelseas youth team last season, couldn't get a sniff 

Like I always say Jeffers holds the record for most goals for England u21 lol 

I hope George does come good but he's proved nothing to warrant controlling the wage talks

Our offer broke our current salary structure for the Development Squad on a level never previously matched. We have policies in place to ensure continuity throughout the squad and fairness to all players at pre-first team level.

The reason we broke our structure was based on appreciation of the promising signs that George was showing and in recognition of his hard work and achievements for the Under-23s and England team at youth level.

“Our policy is based on basic salary but as with all development players is enhanced with bonuses subject to the player participating in first team matches.

Our offer to George was declined by the player’s advisors (Doyen) and when we asked them to submit a proposal to us, we found they were requesting the basic salary of an established first team player at our club, plus completely unrealistic bonuses, clauses and add-ons.

Seems a reasonable stance to me.

Doyen are having DC's pants down, foook em

• Thanks 1

5 minutes ago, Buxtongent said:

Another post to be banned . Some eighteen months ago, whilst attending an arranged birthday bash at Hillsborough, we were told by no less a person than the aforementioned Mr.David Hurst, an employee of the club at the time, when his lad would be signing  , and were told in no uncertain terms that he would not. This was said to a party of approx 10 of us, and is NOT hearsay.

One point that we are all conveniently overlooking is that young Mr. Hurst, impressive though his record is, and I hope will be, is still unproven at Championship level.Everyone looks on him as a saviour. He is still unproven. 

Correct

Prove your worth ,not just demand it

Edited by welsOwl74

6 minutes ago, welsOwl74 said:

Watched him against Chelseas youth team last season, couldn't get a sniff 

Like I always say Jeffers holds the record for most goals for England u21 lol 

I hope George does come good but he's proved nothing to warrant controlling the wage talks

I agree that we should not break the bank for an unproven youth team player.

But think that is slightly separate issue from JL being told his not allowed to pick a player because of a contract issue. Especially when we have an injury crisis. 

This may turn out to be a very good move by the club.

go with me on this a minute.

Hirst would have known for weeks that he was probably going to be playing in the first team very soon. ever since well we all heard that the issue was being resolved. 

So he would have geared himself up to play the u23 games and push for the first team knowing that with the strikers we have avalible he stands a very good chance of not only getting in but staying in. Maybe thinking if he scores a few goals that puts him in a fantastic position to not only demand a better contract from the club but maybe others watching aswell.

Now this is where I think the club are being clever/ sneaky whichever you think. 

they are saying to him. Look you want to play for sheff wed then prove it by signing a contract.

I think this may get him to sign knowing the taste of first team action is within his grasp and seeing others from the u23 doing well in the first team also.

I can't for the life of me see any other reason for him being excluded like this,except he is our golden goose which we want to try to keep at all costs by any means possible it just seems weird especially when you think that Clare is out of contract and playing. 

1 minute ago, matthefish2002 said:

I agree that we should not break the bank for an unproven youth team player.

But think that is slightly separate issue from JL being told his not allowed to pick a player because of a contract issue. Especially when we have an injury crisis. 

Do we know that jos even wants to play the lad,was the question can George play first team football? or do you want George to play first team football?

Joao and even Rhodes and Dave are in front of hirst 

the lad is Unproven yet and has done nothing but play with the under 23's  no one knows if he could or would make the cut ,going out and  learning the trade as others have done would stand him in great stead and at least let the club and him know if there is a viable asset in there ,to be honest if he wasn't Davids lad would we still be having this convo , truth is it is to big a risk to put an untried youth into the first team in the situation we are in and expect him to come up with the goods and save our season

• Thanks 1

Just now, welsOwl74 said:

Do we know that jos even wants to play the lad,was the question can George play first team football? or do you want George to play first team football?

Joao and even Rhodes and Dave are in front of hirst 

Think fair enough if managers judgement George Hirst not good enough for first team football.

But I disagree with Chairmen meddling in first team selections and telling manager not allowed to pick the player.

It’s usually the manager who issues sanctions etc..You know the guy, the ones who’s job it is to ‘manage’ the first team.

Brian Clough said it years ago about chairmen who interfere..

Edited by fatzooma
  • Like 1