George Hirst banned from playing for the first team

1 minute ago, Walt said:

Who cares what he's asking for (or not asking for)? Players and clubs haggle over contracts, that's football. Banning a player from playing for us because of this is akin to the sort of behavior you'd get from spoiled little kids when they don't get their own way. It's pathetic. 

Yeah players who have reasons to justify the wage demands.

Dc offered George a record salary ,he (doyen) turned it down, demanded more, dc didn't want to pay the demands, daddy goes on one and starts being abusive

4 minutes ago, southportdc said:

I think he might well go on to be a very good player, but please can we stop using the time he scored a hattrick against Cuba u-20s and a goal against Japan's u-20s who weren't good enough to make the u-20 World Cup squad as some sort of evidence for that? 

Can only score against what's infront of you. 

Why do we reserve this attitude of "you've only played youth games so you can't play for the first team" for Hirst? Its insane. 

We are DESPERATE for players to come in and give us fresh impetus. Clare has come in and given us the only real positive energy in the team right now. Why are we holding Hirst at arms length over this ridiculous flapping about him only having scored at youth level before?

This will cost Sheffield Wednesday both in the long and short term. 

Edited by sheffield_dave

6 minutes ago, @owlstalk said:

I mean Clare's refusing to sign a contract but is still in the first team

But all the while Clare has remained with the u23's during negotiations and trained there, playing his part of the club as someone under a current contract. The Hirst situation somehow got so out of control he didn't even train/play with the u23's, and I expect he was also under contract with the club and still is. So there might be some sort of disciplinary action in effect towards Hirst; saying something along the lines, ok, it's good that you're back and training/playing with the u23's since you're still under contract, but the club has regulations and since these were broken you're banned from featuring in first team football - which surely must be the carrot for all u23's coming up through the academy.

If it's a disciplinary case, they've (the club) got to stick with principles otherwise anyone who breaks a contract whenever they feel like they're not able to negotiate terms, can still just waltz back into the club and make it into both u23 and first team squad with no consequence.

2 minutes ago, sheffield_dave said:

Why do we reserve this attitude of "you've only played youth games so you can't play for the first team" for Hirst? Its insane. 

We are DESPERATE for players to come in and give us fresh impetus. Clare has come in and given us the only real positive energy in the team right now. Why are we holding Hirst at arms length over this ridiculous flapping about him only having scored at youth level before?

This will cost Sheffield Wednesday both in the long and short term

I very much doubt the club getting relegated or worse depends on hirst signing a deal pal

9 minutes ago, southportdc said:

I think he might well go on to be a very good player, but please can we stop using the time he scored a hattrick against Cuba u-20s and a goal against Japan's u-20s who weren't good enough to make the u-20 World Cup squad as some sort of evidence for that? 

Do you know how many goals he scored last season?

Owlstalk Shop

1 minute ago, sheffield_dave said:

I didn't say that.

I said his goals against poo junior teams shouldn't be trumpeted just because they were international poo junior teams.

His performances in the Wednesday youth teams is far more impressive than bullying Cuba juniors. 

The highlights seems to have been taken down now, but Cuba were terrible. 

Just now, southportdc said:

I didn't say that.

I said his goals against poo junior teams shouldn't be trumpeted just because they were international poo junior teams.

His performances in the Wednesday youth teams is far more impressive than bullying Cuba juniors. 

The highlights seems to have been taken down now, but Cuba were terrible. 

So were Ipswich on Tuesday

lol

Owlstalk Shop

1 minute ago, @owlstalk said:

Do you know how many goals he scored last season?

40 you've told us enough, but failed to answer how many against championship standard or even mens football in general 

17 minutes ago, steelcityowlsfan said:

Just close the academy. 

Have 2 of our best prospects in years and will see them walk away because we’d rather sign some Doyen 30 plus something ex PL player on 30k a week but can’t run because his legs have gone and zero sell on value. 

Great business model DC. 

Not such a daft shout ......

Huddersfield just done exactly that because they’re sick of the “big” clubs poaching all the talent without any intention of developing them.

I think you’ll see this happening a lot more in the not too distant future, at the moment the big six or eight clubs have effectively formed a cartel !

1 hour ago, Buxtongent said:

Another post to be banned . Some eighteen months ago, whilst attending an arranged birthday bash at Hillsborough, we were told by no less a person than the aforementioned Mr.David Hurst, an employee of the club at the time, when his lad would be signing  , and were told in no uncertain terms that he would not. This was said to a party of approx 10 of us, and is NOT hearsay.

One point that we are all conveniently overlooking is that young Mr. Hurst, impressive though his record is, and I hope will be, is still unproven at Championship level.Everyone looks on him as a saviour. He is still unproven. 

Completey unproven. However football is now a market. It doesn’t matter how many games you have under your belt. If club x is willing to pay y then you either match it, better it or say thanks but no thank no deal. In this case if Hirst Snr thinks his son would be better off elsewhere then fine. No new contract, off you go. I don’t agree with it at all, nothing worse than millionaire footballers sat in Academies etc but it’s the way it is.

Yet to say fine we won’t play you then is not only daft, but playing to the agent’s and players hands. Would we even stand to gain any compensation should Hirst leave? If no then why didn’t we sell him? 

Bad bit of business all round. 

25 minutes ago, welsOwl74 said:

Yeah players who have reasons to justify the wage demands.

Dc offered George a record salary ,he (doyen) turned it down, demanded more, dc didn't want to pay the demands, daddy goes on one and starts being abusive

Opinion and speculation. But just for arguments sake, say everything you say is true. Young Hirst has still done nothing wrong, yet we still banned him from playing for the Under 23's and now the first team. Pathetic.

3 minutes ago, Walt said:

Opinion and speculation. But just for arguments sake, say everything you say is true. Young Hirst has still done nothing wrong, yet we still banned him from playing for the Under 23's and now the first team. Pathetic.

It's common knowledge released in a club statement. Hirst indeed has done nothing wrong, however his 'agents' have...he could quite easily tell them to fooook off if he wanted...unless he has a binding contract with them :rolleyes: