Racism in English football

14 hours ago, DJMortimer said:

I remember a banana being thrown at a black player taking a throw in during the mid 1980s. It definitely happened once, my memory is cloudy over whether it happened a couple of times. But the monkey chants didn't seem to be anything like as common as they were elsewhere.

One of the lads (well ill say lads as he's over 50 now who I used to work with is a big Leeds fan) 

We were talking about Hillsborough and he mentioned an incident in the 80s, Leeds were playing Coventry in an fair cup semi final. 

Dave Bennett (Good player, played for us) when up to take a corner for Coventry and got showered with bananas and monkey noises, all I could think of was yep sounds like the sort of behaviour from those unwashed mongrels typical dirty, faul Leeds both on the pitch and off it. He thought it was funny, just shows them for what they are, we're and always have been. 

1 minute ago, Birley Owl 1867 said:

This country is one of the best for racism awareness in Europe, probably the world. You're naive to think otherwise.

If you're comparing to Russia/US then everything seems dandy

But you can't say that racism in this country is 'incredibly rare' when some of our National newspapers perpetuate racism every single day.

Occurences of racism since Brexit vote has shot up

31 minutes ago, Kate said:

But you can't say that racism in this country is 'incredibly rare' when some of our National newspapers perpetuate racism every single day.

Have you actual personal experience or just what you'e

1 hour ago, OxonOwl said:

Racism is possibly hidden more but there is still plenty about

You're right... most of us have been brought up to know that racism is a really bad thing, so most folk aren't racist.... there are laws that can get you arrested now for being overtly racist, BUT, this will not stop people thinking these nasty things.

I would like to bet that the percentage of the populace that most would label "racist" is not much less now than it was back in the seventies. it's just back then it was overt and you wouldn't get arrested for it, whereas now, because of these newer laws, these people are hidden from view most of the time.

I'm afraid to say that racism, even if hidden, will remain with us for a long time, because it's a potential in our nature as human beings unfortunately. Making it illegal won't and hasn't made it disappear totally.

16 hours ago, HOSTAGE IN PYONGYANG said:

No problem, I'll do that. Racism I don't think is prevalent at Hillsborough. Players get some right stick what ever colour they are.

Not sure about that. I've heard fans racially abusing our own on more than one occasion. You'd be forgiven for not noticing, but your ears tend to pric k when you're a minority yourself.

Edited by thatladfromchap

50 minutes ago, Kate said:

I'm sorry, that last part I have highlighted for you is wrong. Reports of racism have gone up since Brexit. There is a lot of difference between reports, and actual occurrences..

Look, let's be clear, racism is a very bad thing, but let's not use it for political gainsaying as it demeans its value.

"National newspapers perpetuate racism every single day" - I don't think so, if this were the case these newspapers would get closed down.

I repeat, let's not over egg it, it devalues occurrences of actual racism, which DO need stamping out.

Edited by The Italian Stallion

50 minutes ago, Kate said:

Oh dear. Feel sorry for you if you truly believe what you've put.

2 hours ago, folger said:

Racism in football in this country is incredibly rare as it is outside of football. Russia for example has a problem but their social attitudes and norms are completely different to ours. Racism will probably be non existent when the College and Uni students / professors get their way and turn us into a communist island we will all be the same poor and downtrodden.     

https://twitter.com/rufarochisango_/status/971452205181161472?s=19

I'll just leave this here.

Is there any racism in British Football or is there a vested interest in the ‘Racism Industry’ to promote the idea that there still is.

There is a huge industry been built around Race Relations which employs many people, some I would assume on very lucrative terms.

When Cyril Regis was playing there was clearly a problem and they formed a very small minority of players which clearly made them a target.

The reverse is true today with teams like Chelsea for instance where White players have been in the minority, so how any current fan can be racist towards players is almost impossible.

Most teams nowadays are like the United Nations, so sorry, I don’t buy into the automatic mantra that ‘Football is Racist’.

It clearly is not, which may however not suit the default accepted ‘truth’ that it is.

The Race industry by admitting most of the problems in football have all but disappeared would be akin to Turkeys voting for Christmas.

Edited by bigthinrob

I filled it in but wish I hadn't now.

The 1st question was something like "have you ever experienced racism at football" I answered Yes because I have been watching Wednesday home and away since the early 70's when it was a regular occurrence.

No questions after that to put it into context so could easily lead to a headline like "93% of fans have experienced Racism at Football".

1 hour ago, thatladfromchap said:

Not sure about that. I've heard fans racially abusing our own on more than one occasion. You'd be forgiven for not noticing, but your ears tend to pric k when you're a minority yourself.

I'm  really sorry, but in the bad old days it was more of an issue I think, thank god those days are in the past. I cant stand bullying of any kind, and I feel racism fall into that category. But with the rise of the right, a lot of people will climb on the band wagon again. Idiots.

2 hours ago, Kate said:

I agree, I work for the NHS. There are lots of staff going back to east Europe as they say they are not welcome here. And if it carries on the NHS are in big big trouble.