You'd expect a striker to score from this situation

5 hours ago, shezzas left peg said:

Jordan has never been what you'd call fleet of foot, but he had speed of thought, he could anticipate a chance and be on the move before anyone else around him had seen it. Unfortunately for us I think karanka and Carlos have killed that part of his game, he not only looks slow, but also reacts too late or not at all. Whether it's some sort of mental fatigue or what I don't know, but he definitely doesn't seem to be spotting an opening before it arises like he used to do. 

You do get the situation where the player anticipates the opening and starts moving but the ball isn't played because the player with the ball doesn't see the possibilities. If Bannan was on the pitch I'd be more confident of right ball being played.

Rhodes does look forlorn at present. We need Hooper back.

1 minute ago, prowl said:

You do get the situation where the player anticipates the opening and starts moving but the ball isn't played because the player with the ball doesn't see the possibilities. If Bannan was on the pitch I'd be more confident of right ball being played.

Rhodes does look forlorn at present. We need Hooper back.

Maybe you could be right bud, I think it's a mixture of more than one thing though. Weight of expectation from fans, not wanting to let his dad down. Poor service and just not mentally in a happy place, he' was struggling and looked way off the pace when we had bannan and Lee in the side, along with an odd cameo from Abdi or two. 

I'm just thinking if it was just  one thing we could maybe compensate, but as I said I think it's a mixture of circumstances. 

Just now, Emilianenko said:

Are you blind

No just look at that picture.

Rhodes was no threat all through the first half and was withdrawn at half time.

Nuhiu has limited ability but worked his nuts off for 90 minutes last night

Only got help when Joao appeared.

Rhodes was just not getting on to the passess he did receive.

2 minutes ago, Blatter said:

No just look at that picture.

Rhodes was no threat all through the first half and was withdrawn at half time.

Nuhiu has limited ability but worked his nuts off for 90 minutes last night

Only got help when Joao appeared.

Rhodes was just not getting on to the passess he did receive.

Look at the picture?

I see one striker missing a simple chance and another has lost his markers and anticipating the follow in.

• Haha 1

3 minutes ago, Emilianenko said:

Look at the picture?

I see one striker missing a simple chance and another has lost his markers and anticipating the follow in.

Were you there??

Nuhiu met it perfectly the keeper saved it with his face . Pure fluke by the keeper (and possibly Nuhiu)

Some times people will only ever look at the negatives and be totally blind to everything else that doesn't fit their agenda. Yesterday Nuhiu was one of the few players to be a success. He won virtually every header and flick-on. He made several vital defensive headers, he held the ball up really well and he worked his butt off for 90 mins. But all you can focus on is one shot which the keeper didn't save it hit him. If that had been "blue-eyed-boy" Reach on his shooting last night, it might have cleared the stand. Remember his attempt that was nearer the corner flag than the goal? Reach can do no wrong yet he was largely ineffective last night, and Nuhiu will never ever be given the credit he deserves. Hell never be a prolific goal scorer, but for Christ sake open your eyes as well as your minds!

1 hour ago, Peacenocchio said:

If you have ever played the game put yourself in his position. The ball is coming down from height at 90deg to goal. You have to volley on the turn. All your instincts correctly  tell you to concentrate on connecting as sweet as you can. You don't aim, even if you are Ronaldo. You just hit it true. 9 out of 10 it Will go in if you get a good connection.

He did everything right.

No criticism here.

He couldnt have done anything else, he hit it hard and on target, the keeper got in the way. So unlucky.

For the people saying he was unlucky I would say rubbish. Any decent striker will tell you when you are that close to goal the odds on scoring are far more favourable if you hit the shot low and hard, even straight down the middle. What Nuhiu did was hit it at the ideal/easiest height to be saved. Thats why it was a bad miss and poor quality striking. His miss at Bristol was also shocking and explains why his scoring record is so poor.

• Haha 2

3 hours ago, Adam Reachs left peg said:

Should of buried it hit it straight at the keeper 

Thanks for your expertise. If Owlstalk needs audio description of the blindingly obvious at some point in the future I'm sure you'll be foremost in their thinking.

:dry:

1 hour ago, S Cops Owl said:

Some times people will only ever look at the negatives and be totally blind to everything else that doesn't fit their agenda. Yesterday Nuhiu was one of the few players to be a success. He won virtually every header and flick-on. He made several vital defensive headers, he held the ball up really well and he worked his butt off for 90 mins. But all you can focus on is one shot which the keeper didn't save it hit him. If that had been "blue-eyed-boy" Reach on his shooting last night, it might have cleared the stand. Remember his attempt that was nearer the corner flag than the goal? Reach can do no wrong yet he was largely ineffective last night, and Nuhiu will never ever be given the credit he deserves. Hell never be a prolific goal scorer, but for Christ sake open your eyes as well as your minds!

Focus on the fact that we are a poor team when Nuhiu starts. 

Its over 2 years since we won a league game in which he started.

Its no coincidence that now he is back playing regularly we are in very poor form.

• Haha 2

Nuhiu couldn’t have hit it any sweeter, keeper was just very fortunate positioning wise 

Rhodes has lost his marker and is looking for the rebound 

9 hours ago, gypsyowl said:

Better chance of scoring 

Goals per minute in Championship this season

Lucas Joao 7 goals at a rate of a goal every 163 minutes

Gary Hooper 10 goals at a rate of a goal every 193 minutes

Jordan Rhodes 4 goals at a rate of a goal every 355 minutes

Atdhe Nuhiu 2 goals at a rate of a goal every 365 minutes

Your argument doesn't stand up.

4 hours ago, hirstyboywonder said:

Yep, Reach played one for him to 'run on to' north stand side of the Kop 1st half and I just thought, have you not seen Rhodes play in the last 6 months, no chance he was ever going to get onto it.

I thought that was a really strange decision. 

Reach had momentum running at a retreating defence, about 10 yards from shooting distance, yet he tried to slot a ball through two defenders who had a head start on a striker not known for pace. Very odd that.