Jones and Butterfield

Worst I’ve seen in any team at any level this season. 

No courage or application to either be on the ball or win the ball back - the core requirement of a central midfielder, in the supposed “engine room”. Jaw dropping and embarrassing considering the level they have played at throughout their careers - and the opposition last night.

Manager Dave Jones once said that he had dropped Prutton because “all he does is kind of help the ball on”. I’d have took Prutton in there for either of them last night. 

Unforgettable and certainly unforgivable 

7 minutes ago, DielnaFromDistance said:

Worst I’ve seen in any team at any level this season. 

No courage or application to either be on the ball or win the ball back - the core requirement of a central midfielder, in the supposed “engine room”. Jaw dropping and embarrassing considering the level they have played at throughout their careers - and the opposition last night.

Manager Dave Jones once said that he had dropped Prutton because “all he does is kind of help the ball on”. I’d have took Prutton in there for either of them last night. 

Unforgettable and certainly unforgivable 

"Helping the ball on" a great phrase to describe quite a few of our midfielders for a while although that pass to Joao for his goal was sublime and I think it was from Jones.

We cant depend on Clare to come in to the midfield and do a job, its a huge ask for someone with little experience. Pelupessy doesn't know where he is a lot of the time and looks off the pace. Abdi clearly has an issue as two managers now are not playing him in one of the worst midfields we have had in a long while. Boyd will not enhance our central midfield in any way, shape or form. Reach feels he has to do everything in the middle to compensate for his team-mates. 

Barry, Kieran, Sam... if you are reading this... I miss you :duntmatter:

36 minutes ago, OwlofOliveGrove said:

Right up there with Beswetherick and Bothroyd as the worst players I have ever seen play for Sheffield Wednesday.

No hyperbole. They are both properly w@nk.

the 15 minute man, worst player ive ever seen.

Guest wilyfox

Want them both gone in summer, no excuses. Hand Buttercup back to Derby with a pretty bow on, and try our best to find Jones a new home for next season. 

I actually think that in general Jones has looked slightly improved under Luhukay, although that's not saying much.

I honestly can't believe how bad Jacob Butterfield is; playing them alongside each other coupled with the general lack of confidence and conviction, is a recipe for extremely sore eyes.

Not a huge fan of either but jones has done ok at times. The major issue is playing them in the same side. They should never ever be on the pitch together, the lack of mobility across the squad is an issue, but with those 2 together in midfield it makes it near impossible to win games. Even with 3 in the middle we get over run. Jones with some sort of combination of reach/Clare/Bannan could work in coming weeks, but he cannot he involved at the same time as butterfield.

I think Jones tends to be really valuable against very specific sorts of teams - generally the technically better ones, oddly enough (Villa, Derby et al), who tend to play through the middle more - where he's able to sit in just behind the centre circle and play his spoiler role with some actual purpose. Less technically gifted but more physical/energetic teams who play down the flanks he really struggles with as the game pretty much just bypasses him.

Butterfield I've genuinely never seen do anything, defended him for a while as he was 'finding his feet' but hard to keep telling myself he must be bothered on some level - he's STILL hiding it very well if he is.

Both on the downward slope of their careers and doing a stop in at Hillsborough on the way to league 1, or possibly end up there with us. It isn't their fault we were so gullable to sign them, it is the people signing them who obviously have the same scouting knowledge of me. 'I've heard of him, I'll buy him!'.

1 hour ago, bradowl said:

Brilliant ball through from Jones for goal. 

Can agree with that but as i`ve said in another thread he plays like a flat footed ballet dancer who is fighting for balance as he turns as if he was trapped between two walls . Add that he cannot tackle a good dinner and is too slow to man mark its very easy to see he gives nothing to the team  

33 minutes ago, DielnaFromDistance said:

Another thing that hits me is how big the pitch appears to be when they play, and how easy it is to by pass them. 

Its like watching hook-a-duck, they just float around with no control or knowledge of their surroundings 

Across the team as a whole, ability to read the game in progress has been absolutely shocking this season. I'm completely stumped as to the reason, as many of these same players showed no such tendencies over the past couple of seasons. But we seem to be suprised and caught out by EVERYTHING lately, both in attack - moves completely breaking down through totally wayward passes into areas that nobody has moved towards is a common one - and of course in defence, where even the predictable bounce of a high ball seems to cause absolute chaos as people hesitate, mistime and frequently get caught midway.

It's easier to read a lot of these things from the stands, granted, but our spacial awareness and general ebb and flow seems utterly shot, and there's no obvious reason why it's taken such a dramatic downturn in less than a year. Really puzzling.