Tonight's Attendance - Season Ticket Holders are stopping going

7 hours ago, Groundhopping Owl said:

Well I have an ST and I'll freely admit I barely go anymore. Haven't been since the Birmingham game and I've no idea if I'll make it to another home game, possibly one at the end of the season if the situation looks really dire at crunch time.

It's mainly down to two reasons, one of which is because I now live in Edinburgh, which means it's extremely expensive and exhausting just to get to home games. Nothing to do with the club, I was doing my best to get to most home games at the start of the season but my bank balance and energy levels were being drained far too quickly. Getting up at 4.30am on Derby Day will haunt me til my dying day.

But this was the case last season and yet I went to the vast majority of games, despite waning enthusiasm for the dull performances week after week. The dream of promotion was still there and winning kept the good atmosphere around the club alive. Now I'm feeling very disillusioned - my last two experiences of Hillsborough were the Burton game were I spent the whole game fuming about DC thinking it was a good idea to hire a CEO with a disastrous track record out of the blue and not provide any justification (not a dig at Meire, beyond that survey she hasn't done a lot wrong so far and my God she's got a lot to sort out), and the Birmingham game where I was mainly in shock at how bad we were. 

It's easy to say that I'm just a fair weather fan and that I'll turn up again once we start winning, but it's more to do with the atmosphere around the club. We didn't exactly win every week during Stuart Gray's season in charge, but I only missed one home game that season because it felt like everyone was pulling together and making the best of what we had. I've travelled hours to watch Bradford Park Avenue this season because it's a club owned by the fans - and the f*ckers have been hammered every time I've been lol.

Now, with DC in charge it feels like modern football has well and truly caught up with us and we're just customers like the increasing majority of other fans of the game. It doesn't feel like it matters to the club if I turn up to support them every week, as long as I pour Season Ticket money into the clubs coffers to support our increasingly unsustainable spending. The team are sliding straight into league one with a manager totally bereft of any ideas of how to turn things around. How depressing is it to have to sit here and just pray that there are three other teams in this league who are even more sh*t than we are? The club is utterly rudderless and about to run very badly aground judging by our latest accounts.

Having said all that, I'm probably going to be moronic enough to renew for next season. What in God's name is wrong with me?

If you live in Edinburgh & have a ST respect from me, must cost you a fortune in travel.

• Like 1

Loads of regulars who sit around me in the grandstand not there last night. 

The whole atmosphere was flat last night, just a hum of chatter around the ground and you could clearly hear the players on the pitch. It’s like we as supporters and the players just accepted what was happening on the pitch. 

3 minutes ago, NorfolkNChance said:

The whole atmosphere was flat last night, just a hum of chatter around the ground and you could clearly hear the players on the pitch. It’s like we as supporters and the players just accepted what was happening on the pitch. 

I wasn't there either last night out of choice. Atmosphere has been like that all season - we simply don't have one. Bound to happen when you don't have a soul anymore.

Edited by roundhayowl
  • Thanks 1

I thought attendance given out looked about right, obviously there's always a few season ticket holders that can't make midweek games. My cousin lives in Devon and is a season ticket holder but can't make most midweek games. 

4 minutes ago, roundhayowl said:

I wasn't there either last night out of choice. Atmosphere has been like that all season - we simply don't have one. Bound to happen when you don't have a soul anymore.

True. Only really decent atmosphere we get is when an away team brings a decent following and is vocal I.e Villa and Newcastle last year

I used to have a season ticket until about 6 years ago, when work dictated i was away quite a bit and missed too many games.

So fell into the pick and choose games..  but with whats happened and our decline at that time,  its hard to get back into it, especially with POTG prices..

I mean £40+ quid to sit on the kop.. give over..  I go when we get the offers, and will on Saturday at the £20 level which it should be.

My youngest son at 16 has a season ticket for the kop, admittedly it was a decent deal which consumed both his birthday and christmas pressies... (bet he wished 

he'd plumped for the xbox games now thou)..  last night he came home totally dejected, a face i've seem many times before in myself and other sons who have been to

loads of games..  as a 16 year old he makes the effort with his mate to get to every game.. supertram trip for an hour.. chippy.. tram back which in total cost another 5 or 6 quid.

But he is now saying how bad it is.. the team is shocking.. the only real fun last night was the chanting by the crowd. where on our way.. etc.. Reda song and Semedo songs

just to add typcical Wednesday humor to the evening..

He wants another ticket next season tho... he has the bug which me and my other son have lost at the moment..  but we are missing out on kids aged 18/19 who are at collage etc who have to pay the £355 U25 rate cause they dont fall into the U17 rate..  the U17 rate should be lifted to U21.

8 hours ago, ReadingOwl said:

I think I have become ambivalent. I used to hate myself when I didn’t go. As though it was my duty. I was letting the Club down, my heritage, my culture.

The Club was part of me and vice versa. I was always proud of where I came from (the Cross, in particular)  and of being an Owl. No matter how bad we were - it was my Club and we were all in it together.

I wasn’t even that bothered when we were rubbish - because it was ‘our rubbish’.

Gallows humour, as Neil, says - even Stevenage away. I was always going to pack them up - but never could.

Now, if I’m minded I listen on Wednesday Player. I’m still dissapointed if we lose - but does it ruin my day/evening/weekend? Not at all.

Im no longer part of it - it’s not my Club anymore and a lot of the posters on here aren’t my kind of fellow fans.

Divide and conquer, survival of the fittest/richest, dog eat dog. Ridicule and abuse towards anyone that shows dissent.

I’m not going into all the things that I hate about the current set up, about what the Club has become. 

But yes, I’ve become ambivalent to it all. It doesn’t hurt anymore.

Well, not like it used to.

This bloke won’t get a penny out of me - unless he changes his ways.

Totally agree with this. We've seen fans on here mocking fellow fans because they can't afford season tickets, or can't make it to hillsborough enough to justify buying one. 

As a pay on the day fan due to living out of Sheffield,  Chansiri has made it easy for me to not bother turning up.

Used to feel it was my duty too, but that's not the same since since he started fleecing us.

Maybe some of the people who were gloating about season tickets are now starting to feel in the same boat.

27 minutes ago, bradowl said:

I thought attendance given out looked about right, obviously there's always a few season ticket holders that can't make midweek games. My cousin lives in Devon and is a season ticket holder but can't make most midweek games. 

Its not just about midweek games

its affecting Saturdays too

Owlstalk Shop

10 hours ago, @owlstalk said:

I honestly believe it's about 3000/4000 season ticket holders that aren't turning up now for home games.

Whether that's just staying away, giving away their season tickets or selling them on to another fan to use I reckon that many season ticket holders simply aren't going to home games.

That's not what's hitting the 'official' attendance numbers though. 22'700 is tickets sold. Around 21k are season ticket holders regardless of if only 18k turned up. 500 ish Ipswich, 300 injured players in the boxes and that leaves about 1k pay on gate. Be ok on Saturday though for the Cheap ticket sell out.

17 minutes ago, Doctor Duran said:

He wants another ticket next season tho... he has the bug which me and my other son have lost at the moment..  but we are missing out on kids aged 18/19 who are at collage etc who have to pay the £355 U25 rate cause they dont fall into the U17 rate..  the U17 rate should be lifted to U21.

18 yr old daughter who's in education and has a small part time job wanted to go last night. Until we saw the cost. She went shopping at meadowhall instead.

Me and the wife have season tickets did not go last night live 90 miles from Hillsborough altho even when doing awful in league one still went up, this season has been terrible total embarrasment all over the club has anyone looked at the medical staff as the injury list is a joke why is it so bad,ok players get injured i realise that. but thats not the only area thats a joke, the futre is looking bleak, for the last month ive just been hoping teams do us favours as i cant see where points are going to come from,disgruntled to say the least..........................................

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Semedo's ferret said:

18 yr old daughter who's in education and has a small part time job wanted to go last night. Until we saw the cost. She went shopping at meadowhall instead.

Its going to be a lost generation of fans.. priced out of the game totally and once your out it's damn hard to get back into it.. financially and commitment. 

Kids - 17 - 20 who are minimum wage / part time / apprenticeships..  3 years of potential fans alienated, who will be fans due to family taking them when younger etc

10 hours ago, Animis said:

hardly any POTD - I bet match day revenue has all but dried up.

shocking state of affairs - no doubt the fans will get the blame for not supporting the club...

I bet it hasn't!

I was des last night so couldn't have a pint at half time so decided to "treat" myself to a yorkie... guess how much the chiselling sods charged??

£1.20 For a chocolate bar, the real scandal is not on the pitch....:ph34r:

8 minutes ago, Doctor Duran said:

Its going to be a lost generation of fans.. priced out of the game totally and once your out it's damn hard to get back into it.. financially and commitment. 

Kids - 17 - 20 who are minimum wage / part time / apprenticeships..  3 years of potential fans alienated, who will be fans due to family taking them when younger etc

She's had a ST since 5 yr old. Only her part time job stopped me getting her one last year. The prices mean she won't go to another game for a long time. She was gutted at first, but now out of the routine doesn't seem bothered.

was only £27 last night for potd and doubt 1000 was sold, £20 anywhere in ground this Saturday and hardly any been sold. I doubt chansiri had any idea that the support would drop off so much,i doubt he wont have factored that in when he budgeted for this season . 

10 hours ago, ReadingOwl said:

You couldnt be further from the truth. 

I havent seen the us live since Milan left. Play offs or Wembley.

The ‘buy a season ticket, or suffer’ mantra/business plan is sickening. The treatment of ‘casuals’ has been diobolical.

All for some supposed crackpot business plan - Season Ticket Holders only, wanted and alienate the rest of the fan base.

I saw my first game in 1967 - second game we beat Burnley 7-0 and I was allowed to stand on a seat all the game in the old South Stand.

Its not the same Club I’ve always followed - or the same fans.

My loss? - I’ve lost nothing truth be known.

Ive had the best of Wednesday as a fan - you’re all customers now.

As that was 51 years ago it's not very likely to be the same fans.

lol

Edited by One De Bilde

1 hour ago, NorfolkNChance said:

You must be near me then as there were a few around where I sit that didn't bother to turn up.

13 minutes ago, torres said:

Pricing is horrific  - for individual matches

it's £20.00 saturday - lets see what happens

It will not happen overnight and it's hardly advertised is it ??  really they should push adverts out on local radio.. big pieces in the Star and constantly pushed on social media which is a free platform, but with the current poor results and performances it wont excite many casual supporters tbh and won't see a huge difference...

17 minutes ago, handworth52 said:

was only £27 last night for potd and doubt 1000 was sold, £20 anywhere in ground this Saturday and hardly any been sold. I doubt chansiri had any idea that the support would drop off so much,i doubt he wont have factored that in when he budgeted for this season . 

It was £33 on the South Stand

THIRTY THREE POUNDS

EACH

Owlstalk Shop