Rhodes and Hirst

1 minute ago, WhiteOwl91 said:

But even with Ben Marshall at Blackburn, they finished 9th. So clearly that side didnt have it all, who knows who that was down to. But their defence was hardly shocking either. 

Ben Marshall is at Millwall and IMO wont ever progress beyond mid table of the champ. The ship has sailed. 

I don't disagree that we signed Rhodes and didn't have any intention of playing to his strength. Criminal for the amount of money he cost. 

But when Gary Hooper came, we didn't play to his strengths either necessarily. He's adapted though, dropped deeper, become a link man who scores goals too. Hooper is a better all round player and was good enough to change his style. I don't think Rhodes can do that. 

Mate it doesn't matter where Blackburn finished, it does not matter who is providing the chances we need to find a to get Rhodes firing in the goals - we will be lucky if we finish above 12th but I would take that now if someone offered. 

We are down to the bare bones in terms of players available and clearly the like of Palmer/Fox/Buttercup/Jones are no good enough so if i had a £8m striker at the club i would try to score more goals than the other team, if we are going to concede a few then score more, but if we are not having shots on target we are not going to score many.

Just now, room0035 said:

Mate it doesn't matter where Blackburn finished, it does not matter who is providing the chances we need to find a to get Rhodes firing in the goals - we will be lucky if we finish above 12th but I would take that now if someone offered. 

We are down to the bare bones in terms of players available and clearly the like of Palmer/Fox/Buttercup/Jones are no good enough so if i had a £8m striker at the club i would try to score more goals than the other team, if we are going to concede a few then score more, but if we are not having shots on target we are not going to score many.

Look im not disagreeing that now, given the circumstances, Rhodes needs to bag some goals to keep us up. I was more suggesting long term given i think most players were meant to be back now, and theyre not. 

I've said in previous posts that for me, i would look at our bench last weekend, Lees, Loovens, Jones, Abdi, Boyd and Rhodes, play them in their best position and fill everyone else around it. Hope the experience and proven quality of those players can get us over the line. 

That would be Boyd wide, Rhodes up top with a partner (Joao ), Probably Reach out wide also and back to a 442. So short term that would be how i'd play it. 

2 minutes ago, Jos' Philtrum said:

Then surely this means Reach has got to be played out wide left rather than centrally when Rhodes plays? 

image.png

Yes - Reach is meant to be a left winger that what we paid £5m for, instead because of problems in central midfield an area of the pitch that has had more money spent on it that any other part other than strikers are we are simple crap. 

Reach is not going to get 15+ goals a season he might get 7/8 but he should be creating 20+ goals for others by beating his man getting to the by line and putting the ball in the box. If not then we need to find a left winger who will provide the service as you don't spent £5m on a winger then play him at left back (well Carlos does but thats another story) - I like Reach he has improved this season he still jess'es tackles though and that needs to change, I don't want him injured but he has pulled out of too many 50:50 this season.

12 minutes ago, room0035 said:

Rhodes at every single club he has been has played in a front two with wingers who cross the ball, at Blackburn he had Ben Marshall who provider the ammo for him to bag 83 goals in 152 appearance or 1 in 2 at championship level - funnily enough we could have signed Ben Marshall on loan in January but didn't try.

We signed Rhodes and play him on his own or don't provide cross and chance to score and expect him to get 20+ goals a year. Now his confidence is shot and he is broken.

What we need to do is play to his strengths 4-4-2 with attacking wingers that cross for the front two, not ones that cut in field and try and score themselves, we need to play a settled front two not chopping and changing every week. Do this until the end of the season and Rhodes will score the goals but we all know that is not our way anymore. Hence we have a £8m + £40,000 a week flop who we will end up offloading for a fraction of what we paid for him and he will bang a load of goal elsewhere as they will play to his strength. 

This guy has scored goals at every club he has been at and before signing for us had scored 172 goals in 340 games at any level this is very good but most of these goals were in this league.

Scored 6 for Middlesbrough 2015/16, none in 2016/17.

So seemed to be dropping off a bit there.

2 minutes ago, WhiteOwl91 said:

Look im not disagreeing that now, given the circumstances, Rhodes needs to bag some goals to keep us up. I was more suggesting long term given i think most players were meant to be back now, and theyre not. 

I've said in previous posts that for me, i would look at our bench last weekend, Lees, Loovens, Jones, Abdi, Boyd and Rhodes, play them in their best position and fill everyone else around it. Hope the experience and proven quality of those players can get us over the line. 

That would be Boyd wide, Rhodes up top with a partner (Joao ), Probably Reach out wide also and back to a 442. So short term that would be how i'd play it. 

Agreed play the strongest team possible in a formation they know and hope the extra quality creates or improves the team enough to win.

Man for man tonight we have a better team than Ipswich but they have the one thing the team under Jos has not shown passion and pride and the will to succeed our heads have dropped too often - I hate Warnock but ever one of his give 110% and fights for the shirt we need than 1 to 11 tonight.

3 minutes ago, Hookowl said:

Scored 6 for Middlesbrough 2015/16, none in 2016/17.

So seemed to be dropping off a bit there.

You can pick what ever you want I was a the game he scored 4 against us when playing for Huddersfield, he was not a world beater but Huddersfield played to his strengths and he scored goals.

If we had Hooper, Feesi, Fletcher, Winnall to pick from them we play the best player but none are available so you adapt your play to get the best out of what you have.

I don't for one minute think this will happen. We will line up 5-4-1 tonight because of the game at the week end it will be dower and defensive and we will play into Ipswich hands then will nick a few goals on the break and we will lose.

I would play tonight 4-4-2 be at them from the start and try and score a lot of goals as we are not going to keep a clean sheets so why play for one, lets go out and score a few goals and hopefully build our confidence and at the same time move up the table and away from the drop zone- i know I make it sound very easy - but when we are playing well Hillsborough is a fantastic ground for the home team, but when we are negative and dower Hillsborough can be like a grave yard. Its up to the team to show fight and we the fans will support them to the hilt.

Nuhiu and Rhodes is an interesting dynamic.

Nuhiu not having a contract beyond this season, would he help supply Rhodes....or would he be looking to score goals.

IMO the Nuhiu who fights for the team and creates......is far better than the Nuhiu who tries to grab a goal. So we could be screwed 

30 minutes ago, CLswfc said:

Garden leave on 2.5 mill a year. Reight good suggestion.WTF:

Putting Rhodes on the pitch currently is a detriment to our challenge for survival. Also him getting playing time ahead of Joao and Hirst is a detriment to their development. He is too slow, has no confidence and we are just harming him by playing in this team. Regardless of how much he cost it helps no one him struggling on the pitch.

1 hour ago, Dutch McLovin said:

Nope. Rhodes won’t work unless played with Nuhiu in a certain way, and with his lack of anything at the moment I’m not sure he’d work then.

Wouldnt have him near the team.

Hirst and Joao or Nuhiu yes.

How far off is Matias does anyone know?

2 weeks

1 minute ago, room0035 said:

You can pick what ever you want I was a the game he scored 4 against us when playing for Huddersfield, he was not a world beater but Huddersfield played to his strengths and he scored goals.

If we had Hooper, Feesi, Fletcher, Winnall to pick from them we play the best player but none are available so you adapt your play to get the best out of what you have.

I don't for one minute think this will happen. We will line up 5-4-1 tonight because of the game at the week end it will be dower and defensive and we will play into Ipswich hands then will nick a few goals on the break and we will lose.

I would play tonight 4-4-2 be at them from the start and try and score a lot of goals as we are not going to keep a clean sheets so why play for one, lets go out and score a few goals and hopefully build our confidence and at the same time move up the table and away from the drop zone- i know I make it sound very easy - but when we are playing well Hillsborough is a fantastic ground for the home team, but when we are negative and dower Hillsborough can be like a grave yard. Its up to the team to show fight and we the fans will support them to the hilt.

I was also at that game, but it was a long time ago as footballers go sometimes.

I would agree with your second sentence except apart from Reach going on the wing, we don't really have anyone who can play to his strengths (if he still has them).

Apart from that, yes I would prefer us to start out tonight with the intention of scoring goals rather than defending from the off.

1 hour ago, Dutch McLovin said:

Nope. Rhodes won’t work unless played with Nuhiu in a certain way, and with his lack of anything at the moment I’m not sure he’d work then.

Wouldnt have him near the team.

Hirst and Joao or Nuhiu yes.

How far off is Matias does anyone know?

Matias has played his half dozen appearances for this season, be out now till May it'll be a long 2 weeks lol

39 minutes ago, Hookowl said:

I was also at that game, but it was a long time ago as footballers go sometimes.

I would agree with your second sentence except apart from Reach going on the wing, we don't really have anyone who can play to his strengths (if he still has them).

Apart from that, yes I would prefer us to start out tonight with the intention of scoring goals rather than defending from the off.

Lets put our names forward if Jos decides he has had enough lol- Birmingham sacked Cotterill after 5 losses on the trot and replaced him with Monk not a bad swap but they need a motivator not a manager as do we. Someone like a Megson/Pearson type that as a player you would look up to and if you didn't perform would get a rollocking.

Guest Jack the Hat

Selling Rhodes to free up money to take a punt on Hirst and also buying a good centre back with premier league experience would work for me. If clubs will pay 7 mill for madine they will snatch our hands off for a similar fee. He will work for other clubs who would suit his style but he isn't good enough for a club to change to suit him.

1 hour ago, Jos' Philtrum said:

Then surely this means Reach has got to be played out wide left rather than centrally when Rhodes plays? 

image.png

So glad he's good at heading and a threat at free-kicks. So we play a ball in and he wins it in the air and then all he needs to do is finish it. So how good is his finishi..........oh nevermind. Get on the blower to gullable clubs looking for a saviour. Unfortunately the one club we can't sell to is ourselves, typical!

2 hours ago, room0035 said:

Rhodes at every single club he has been has played in a front two with wingers who cross the ball, at Blackburn he had Ben Marshall who provider the ammo for him to bag 83 goals in 152 appearance or 1 in 2 at championship level - funnily enough we could have signed Ben Marshall on loan in January but didn't try.

We signed Rhodes and play him on his own or don't provide cross and chance to score and expect him to get 20+ goals a year. Now his confidence is shot and he is broken.

What we need to do is play to his strengths 4-4-2 with attacking wingers that cross for the front two, not ones that cut in field and try and score themselves, we need to play a settled front two not chopping and changing every week. Do this until the end of the season and Rhodes will score the goals but we all know that is not our way anymore. Hence we have a £8m + £40,000 a week flop who we will end up offloading for a fraction of what we paid for him and he will bang a load of goal elsewhere as they will play to his strength. 

This guy has scored goals at every club he has been at and before signing for us had scored 172 goals in 340 games at any level this is very good but most of these goals were in this league.

Exactly this. Unfortunately, even though I hold the same view, I can no longer be chuffed to put it towards Wednesday fans who currently would be happy to crucify him. 

• Haha 1