2005 v 2012

Which was your favourite side Sturrocks 2005 playoff winning side or the 2012 "mind the gap" team of Megson and Jones? 

Not necessarily who was the best but which did you prefer or have fonder memories of?

For me it was the 2012 team. Loved Big Reda, Llera, Semedo and the Madine / Lowe strike partnership. Remember losing Marshall and gaining Antonio who went on to rip United to pieces on his debut. I also went to a lot more games that season as it was the first full season taking my little brother.  

Has to be 2012 because of the circumstances.

5 points clear with 2 games in hand. The game they could afford to lose.

Coming back at BL to rescue a draw (Felt like a defeat for them).

Seeing the piggie faces when they knew we had pipped them and then watching them bottle it in the PO final. It was a Carlsberg season for sure.

2005 probably had the best moment (winning a play off final is hard to compete with), but overall 2012 was the better season/team. 

For one the 2012 team would have beaten the 2005 side imo (through sheer physicality if nothing else) and I'm doubtful that we will see another season which ended in those circumstances. 

The 2012 promotion.

Beating that lot to second place after the derby they could afford to lose. Especially when it looked like we were doomed to the play offs and possibly missing out thanks to the useless ones' worldy run of defeats early 2012.

That run Dave Jones went on was magnificent. Signing Treacy was a genius move to get us past the final hurdle. It was so frustrating in the end to see what happened throughout the next couple of seasons after the promotion. Bold statement I accept but I remain convinced Jones would have done far better had he not signed Jay Bothroyd on loan.

Edited by katie melua

12 minutes ago, ramone said:

2012 for me. Just because of the way in ended. 

On a side note, my combined XI below...

Lucas

Buxton

Jones

Baath

Heckingbottom

Antonio

Whelan

Semedo

Brunt

Maclean

Madine

That’s way better than what we’ve got available right now. Apart from Lucas.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Geohay said:

I reckon the 2018/19 League One winners team will be a good one....

Sorry, that was very negative. I take it back. In a bad place this year. Saturday was one stuffing too many!

2012 hands down, tipping them to automatic when they were so far ahead

Remember saying to my lad at the Wycombe game to take it all in that Hillsborough was as full as that & all 4 sides Wednesday as you'll probably never see it like this again

I hope he did as I certainly did

49 minutes ago, ramone said:

2012 for me. Just because of the way in ended. 

On a side note, my combined XI below...

Lucas

Buxton

Jones

Baath

Heckingbottom

Antonio

Whelan

Semedo

Brunt

Maclean

Madine

No Kenwyne Jones? only on loan but his goals helped us massively towards play offs.

6 minutes ago, bradowl said:

No Kenwyne Jones? only on loan but his goals helped us massively towards play offs.

Playing 7 games in a 46 game season doesn't qualify him in my eyes... 

It was a struggle for me to put Antonio in there as he was only there for half the season.

That best XI midfield would wipe the floor with what we've got currently. 

It literally has everything we currently don't - physicality, good delivery, pace and a bit of nastiness. 

56 minutes ago, ramone said:

Playing 7 games in a 46 game season doesn't qualify him in my eyes... 

It was a struggle for me to put Antonio in there as he was only there for half the season.

Only 7 games? I thought he was with us a bit longer than that. 

I'd put Lee Peacock in then. :biggrin:

• Like 1

Just now, bradowl said:

Only 7 games? I thought he was with us a bit longer than that. 

I'd put Lee Peacock in then. :biggrin:

Sure it was. It was only a short term deal and he scored 7 in 7. 

Yeah, i typed Madine with ultimate regret as i couldn't stand him but 18 goals is no mean feat. As a footballer, i loved Ryan Lowe but I had to stick the best goal scorers in those seasons in. 

4 hours ago, HighworthOwl said:

2012 "mind the gap" team of Megson and Jones? 

I can't remember the joint manager team of Megson and Jones. sounds like a bad accountancy firm. Pretty sure it was Jones who had took over and then went unbeaten to get us promoted after Megson lost to Stevenage, Exeter and Chesterfield in 3 straight games. 2012 team and Antonio was amazing for me. But 2005 was awesome too so hard to pick. Based on this logic we go up every 7 years so next year book the wembley hotel! (with free cancellation)

13 minutes ago, tarn owl said:

I can't remember the joint manager team of Megson and Jones. sounds like a bad accountancy firm. Pretty sure it was Jones who had took over and then went unbeaten to get us promoted after Megson lost to Stevenage, Exeter and Chesterfield in 3 straight games. 2012 team and Antonio was amazing for me. But 2005 was awesome too so hard to pick. Based on this logic we go up every 7 years so next year book the wembley hotel! (with free cancellation)

I'm firmly in the "it wouldn't have happened under Megson" group, Jones was a great appointment at just the right time.

Megson did give us some decent signings to set us on our way so deserves some credit. Having said that there is no part of me that wants him to return.