Any armed forces/sericemen on here?

6 minutes ago, DundeeOWLS said:

Sams shut down years ago 

There was another club in Exmouth; but can't remember the name of it stripes maybe.

Also remember TimePiece in Exeter.

1 hour ago, Fast Forward said:

No love for armed 'services' and not afraid to say so. You're the people who make war possible. End.

What a full weight bell . end .

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 3
  1. 25 years in total, shiney-arsed crabfat.  Didn't miss a game home or away (on the thumb) for two and a half seasons until the '66 cup final.  Joined on 6 May 66, cup final ticket in hand, but had to watch from the back row of the tv room at RAF Hereford with a Liverpool supporter (Paul Jones).  Hereford to Waddington (Giant Voice 69) Roy Shingler a Chief Tech off Line Sqn used to give me a lift in his Mk10 Jag and park in the yard of a pub his brother ran on Penistone Road that's gone now.  To Gan then back to Patrington (Staxton Wold), playing for 11 Group and Strike, then Northwood where I was one of two RAF guys (a Booty in goal and 8 matelots) in the team (HMS Warrior) that won the Navy Cup at Chatham (Ron Bramley, another Wednesdayite, was the other).  Next year should have won the RAF Cup at Uxbridge but 42nd goal of the season disallowed by some dumb referee and lost in extra time.  SHAPE, Belgium (playing with Owl Ash Saywell Army from Dinnington I think).  Boulmer, Stanmore Park (Bentley Priory) where we knocked the RAF champions, Abingdon, out of the RAF Cup (massive giant-killing) our left back was Mick (Spin) Dwyer and a Blunt, Mick Petty, played midfield.  Scampton next from where I selected JOC Maastricht over RAF Stanley in '82.  Last five years on the computer at Innsworth.  Out now for nearly 30 years living in Stockport.  Season ticket on North for ages where I'm just another (or possibly THE) gobby, referee-hating, Wednesday lover.  WAWAW
  • Like 5

A very public "thank you" to all our current and former ex-service folks out there.

Let's also not forget that a disproportionately high number of homeless people are ex-services, too. Please bear that in mind, especially with the weather being as bad as it is at the moment.

I'm full of admiration for our forces

One of my sisters married a guy in the RAF

They've been stationed in Norwich, Weeze Germany, and Lossiemouth

My brother in law came out of the forces about 15 years ago, they've recently moved from Lossie to Dunfermaline

Their 33 year old son joined the RAF when he was 21, he's still serving.

• Like 2

Just a bloke, who used up all his luck in one go when he met his wife.

7 minutes ago, armyowl said:

Yeah 10 years in the infantry based in Cyprus at the moment 

Was there in 86, played footy in happy valley, got an infection, they used raw sewage on the pitches, never really healed.

Used to patrol sovereign bases, in a ferret scout car, from antenna farm, Akrotiri, up to Dhekelia, was based down in Episkopi.

Played mainly Rugby out there, became island champions after beating RAF Akrotiri. 

Royal Navy, flew the colours all over.

Some of the wierd fookers on here should think about joining, instead of pushing things up their bottom, whilst trying to upset folk, hiding behind keyboards, and masturbating when they get a rise.

2 hours ago, Fast Forward said:

No love for armed 'services' and not afraid to say so. You're the people who make war possible. End.

Chuffing Nora, I've read it all.

Shame on all the service personnel for causing the invasion of Poland in 1939 and orchestration of the Holocaust.

Your very existence was clearly the catalyst to The Falkland Islands being illegally occupied in 1982. Not to mention Kuwait's problems in 1990.

• Like 1

20 years in the RAF, 2 to go til I’m a 40yr old pensioner. Deploying early next year for tour number 5 in Afghanistan but still got season tickets for me and the 4 kids. 

Was deployed during each promotion season and the play off final. We always do something when I’m away so here’s hoping for next season!!

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2
1 minute ago, Hawkinsfootballboots said:

20 years in the RAF, 2 to go til I’m a 40yr old pensioner. Deploying early next year for tour number 5 in Afghanistan but still got season tickets for me and the 4 kids. 

Was deployed during each promotion season and the play off final. We always do something when I’m away so here’s hoping for next season!!

Corrrr five times in Afghanistan

That's terrifying for someone like me

I recently watched a documentary that finally honestly showed us the truth

Think it was a convoy that was driving through a village and the enemy took out the front truck with a bomb or rocket launcher and the back lorry too with the same and penned them in 

It was horrific and shocking and terrifying

Thank you to you all for keeping us safe and doing what you do - genuinely and sincerely

It's astonishing work

(and you have to put up with celebrities like Bradley Walsh coming out to see you and sing for you too - brutal)

Owlstalk Shop

2 hours ago, Fast Forward said:

There were no wars before the armed 'services' then?

• Like 1

Ex RN, 10 years. Dad was a tree, uncle a scaley, grandfather a crab, grandmother a NAAFI girl. Christmas was a f*cking hoot when we got together.

I miss them all...

Been reading through the thread and it's nice to see the unique language and humour again. Sets us apart...

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

23 years WO1 RE - out in 93

Supported Owls all thru service with more pee taking than I like to recall :rolleyes:

Played for Army FA and was the only owl, had to be a Geordie in squad when Barcodes beat us 8 summat :sad:

Had stints at Camberley/Fleet/Farnborough/Andover and overseas Preussen Hameln(Germany)/Bruyer N France

EPA Larnaca(now AEK Larnaca)Cyprus Apollon Limassol Cyprus RAEC Mons(Belgium)

Started supporting Wednesday aged 7 in 1959 lot of tears on this continued journey but IWTID

• Like 3
7 minutes ago, ash60s said:

23 years WO1 RE - out in 93

Supported Owls all thru service with more pee taking than I like to recall :rolleyes:

Played for Army FA and was the only owl, had to be a Geordie in squad when Barcodes beat us 8 summat :sad:

Had stints at Camberley/Fleet/Farnborough/Andover and overseas Preussen Hameln(Germany)/Bruyer N France

EPA Larnaca(now AEK Larnaca)Cyprus Apollon Limassol Cyprus RAEC Mons(Belgium)

Started supporting Wednesday aged 7 in 1959 lot of tears on this continued journey but IWTID

You left at Wednesdays peak years!

Owlstalk Shop

Hindsight is a wonderful gift - had a sat dish for sport whilst in Germany 

saw semi v Chelsea and drubbing of Weeds so I missed the relegation/promotion year but home for 

steel city semi and 2 finals of 93, sadly the league cup final wasn't beamed over but the radio worked!!!

Anyhow peak years??? Maybe 61-66 just saying