Any armed forces/sericemen on here?

I'm full of admiration for our forces

One of my sisters married a guy in the RAF

They've been stationed in Norwich, Weeze Germany, and Lossiemouth

My brother in law came out of the forces about 15 years ago, they've recently moved from Lossie to Dunfermaline

Their 33 year old son joined the RAF when he was 21, he's still serving.

• Like 2

Just a bloke, who used up all his luck in one go when he met his wife.

7 minutes ago, armyowl said:

Yeah 10 years in the infantry based in Cyprus at the moment 

Was there in 86, played footy in happy valley, got an infection, they used raw sewage on the pitches, never really healed.

Used to patrol sovereign bases, in a ferret scout car, from antenna farm, Akrotiri, up to Dhekelia, was based down in Episkopi.

Played mainly Rugby out there, became island champions after beating RAF Akrotiri. 

20 years in the RAF, 2 to go til I’m a 40yr old pensioner. Deploying early next year for tour number 5 in Afghanistan but still got season tickets for me and the 4 kids. 

Was deployed during each promotion season and the play off final. We always do something when I’m away so here’s hoping for next season!!

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

1 minute ago, Hawkinsfootballboots said:

20 years in the RAF, 2 to go til I’m a 40yr old pensioner. Deploying early next year for tour number 5 in Afghanistan but still got season tickets for me and the 4 kids. 

Was deployed during each promotion season and the play off final. We always do something when I’m away so here’s hoping for next season!!

Corrrr five times in Afghanistan

That's terrifying for someone like me

I recently watched a documentary that finally honestly showed us the truth

Think it was a convoy that was driving through a village and the enemy took out the front truck with a bomb or rocket launcher and the back lorry too with the same and penned them in 

It was horrific and shocking and terrifying

Thank you to you all for keeping us safe and doing what you do - genuinely and sincerely

It's astonishing work

(and you have to put up with celebrities like Bradley Walsh coming out to see you and sing for you too - brutal)

Owlstalk Shop

Ex RN, 10 years. Dad was a tree, uncle a scaley, grandfather a crab, grandmother a NAAFI girl. Christmas was a f*cking hoot when we got together.

I miss them all...

Been reading through the thread and it's nice to see the unique language and humour again. Sets us apart...

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

23 years WO1 RE - out in 93

Supported Owls all thru service with more pee taking than I like to recall :rolleyes:

Played for Army FA and was the only owl, had to be a Geordie in squad when Barcodes beat us 8 summat :sad:

Had stints at Camberley/Fleet/Farnborough/Andover and overseas Preussen Hameln(Germany)/Bruyer N France

EPA Larnaca(now AEK Larnaca)Cyprus Apollon Limassol Cyprus RAEC Mons(Belgium)

Started supporting Wednesday aged 7 in 1959 lot of tears on this continued journey but IWTID

• Like 3

7 minutes ago, ash60s said:

23 years WO1 RE - out in 93

Supported Owls all thru service with more pee taking than I like to recall :rolleyes:

Played for Army FA and was the only owl, had to be a Geordie in squad when Barcodes beat us 8 summat :sad:

Had stints at Camberley/Fleet/Farnborough/Andover and overseas Preussen Hameln(Germany)/Bruyer N France

EPA Larnaca(now AEK Larnaca)Cyprus Apollon Limassol Cyprus RAEC Mons(Belgium)

Started supporting Wednesday aged 7 in 1959 lot of tears on this continued journey but IWTID

You left at Wednesdays peak years!

Owlstalk Shop

Hindsight is a wonderful gift - had a sat dish for sport whilst in Germany 

saw semi v Chelsea and drubbing of Weeds so I missed the relegation/promotion year but home for 

steel city semi and 2 finals of 93, sadly the league cup final wasn't beamed over but the radio worked!!!

Anyhow peak years??? Maybe 61-66 just saying

9 hours ago, airborne_rat_of_s6 said:

Remember getting ready to go parachuting and getting locked in a room by the RAF whilst they watched the England Argies game where Beckham got sent off. They then cancelled the sortie after the match! One of the lads got his own back the following week as he punched a full sick bag into the chest of the RAF jump instructor as he went out of the door. 

I did a 3 week parachute jumping course at an Army Air Core base in 1991. I forget the name of the base but I think it was near Amesbury, Salisbury Plain. We did some night drops and one lad landed on top of a barbed wire fence, one leg either side of the barbs. I can still hear his screams now as the wind filled his chute and dragged him along. Poor bugger.

I joined at 16 (1981). Boy soldier at IJLB Folkestone. Did a whole year basic training. 

Did Germany, Canada, USA, Cyprus, Jamaica. 

Best decision ever made - join Army 

Worst decision ever made - leave Army. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, BRADDO said:

I did a 3 week parachute jumping course at an Army Air Core base in 1991. I forget the name of the base but I think it was near Amesbury, Salisbury Plain. We did some night drops and one lad landed on top of a barbed wire fence, one leg either side of the barbs. I can still hear his screams now as the wind filled his chute and dragged him along. Poor bugger.

Netheravon? 

Wedgied by a barbed wire fence-first time I have heard that one. Been dragged through a gorse bush in high winds. That wasn’t fun! Mate went through a dry stone wall sideways and another lad I know ended up losing his leg.  He had a bag of washing for a chute when he did a jump in Poland and ended up landing on the runway of a disused airfield we were doing a practice assault on. 

Dangerous business!