Any armed forces/sericemen on here?

1 hour ago, trevdi9 said:

nearly joined up but was talked into going down the mines , great career choice that was lol 

I joined up because I didn't want to go down the pit or work in the steelworks...guess what I did when I came out ? 14 years down the pit lol 

• Haha 1

10 years service in 2 PWRR (infantry regiment + hence the name on here) and still going.

Funniest moment was in Iraq the other year. Working in a tented camp when ISIS were still growing, we had British Forces Broadcasting Service (BFBS) and watched the pigs against Swindon in the play offs. There was a blunt working with the RAF from Kiveton on the same camp and loved rubbing it in his face as Swindon scored goal after goal.

Ran into a few fellow Owls in many places and also seen pro Owls and anti blunt graffiti in places as random as the Falkland Islands and Cyprus; always raises a big smile when I see it. There are definitely more Owls than blunts serving, although that just reflects the relative fan base sizes imho.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

Worked on a couple of Army bases here in Cyprus and must admit I was disheartened by the way our lads were treated.

I had many an argument with the management, and I would fight the corner on behalf of the soldiers which led to me being hounded out of a job.

Edited by Cypriot Owl
Mis typed
  • Thanks 1

Was in the Army for 3 years out in BAOR during late 80’s

before the days of t’internet we lived for world service - with all the lads from different towns was great rivalry at the time

also getting to games when home on leave was easy with POTG

On ‎01‎/‎03‎/‎2018 at 21:03, Fast Forward said:

No love for armed 'services' and not afraid to say so. You're the people who make war possible. End.

my lad was a squaddie , he has been suffering from ptsd for 14 years after enlisting (and s--t on from every angle via the mod refusing his pension)   looking to save people like you from harm the soldiers sailors and airman and all ancillary units attached to them do a fantastic job ,but carry on slagging them off and when the time comes that your little bubble bursts and you find you need the men and women of the forces to protect you I bet your statement above is forgotten very quickly  , they gave you the freedom to make your post  and still do.  END!

• Like 1

On 01/03/2018 at 21:03, Fast Forward said:

No love for armed 'services' and not afraid to say so. You're the people who make war possible. End.

I’ll bite. 

Lost some close friends over the years and did my bit. Meanwhile you make some idiotic remark based on flawed ideals ergo you sir are a c u nnnnnnn t . 

END

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

Start my final week in uniform next week. I joined in 1976 and have served 32 years regular and nearly ten years full time Reserve service. Never had a proper job and now I never will as I'm going to become a golf pro.  if I win every competition I enter I've worked out I could make twenty seven quid a week. Not sure what our lass is going to do for shoes from here on in, but looking forward to being able to go to,Tuesday night games.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

On 01/03/2018 at 19:28, @owlstalk said:

This thread which I intended to be about the heroic servicemen within our fanbase has already been lost to the housing market, buy to let market and price of home rentals

Boooooooooooo

Only because that was your line of interrogation lol

I have advocated before for servicemen/women to be invited to S6 as the VIPs that they are and celebrated. Yes, this is a bit US/Canada but I was always moved at Baseball games in Canada to see the pride of the service personnel. I would personally welcome the opportunity to say thank you for their service. They are a part of the family.  

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

20 minutes ago, soldierowl said:

Start my final week in uniform next week. I joined in 1976 and have served 32 years regular and nearly ten years full time Reserve service. Never had a proper job and now I never will as I'm going to become a golf pro.  if I win every competition I enter I've worked out I could make twenty seven quid a week. Not sure what our lass is going to do for shoes from here on in, but looking forward to being able to go to,Tuesday night games.

You didn’t do a one week golf pro cse for resettlement did you? lol