Any armed forces/sericemen on here?

Just wondering how many armed forces, servicemen or military personnel we have as members on here

Any current or former armed forces lads and lasses on here?

Would be good to hear from you, where you are or where you went and what your experiences are of supporting the Owls during your time in service

Owlstalk Shop

I'm in the RAF mate, 18 years served.

It's a good career, would recommend it to people. 

Pension is decent too..or at least it was.

4 more years to go before I can consider leaving and taking up a "real" job. 

I was an electrician before I joined and definitely don't regret leaving that behind.

Edited by trev
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 3

Just now, trev said:

I'm in the RAF mate, 18 years served.

It's a good career, would recommend it to people. 

Pension is decent too..or at least it was.

4 more years to go before I can consider leaving and taking up a "real" job. 

I was an electrician before I joined and definitely don'

Do you get a house too whilst in service? Or can you just live at home? How's it work?

Owlstalk Shop

1 minute ago, @owlstalk said:

Do you get a house too whilst in service? Or can you just live at home? How's it work?

Yeah you can get married quarters.

Cheap as chips compared to renting.

I've bought a house though.

• Thanks 1

1 minute ago, Wednesday_Jack said:

I read most of your comments and generally agree...I don’t know why but I find this rude and not really called for!!

and it's rude why mate ? it was banter after today's depressing news with our beloved club...

I'm a huge supporter our our underappreciated and brave servicemen and women both in the past and the present, my younger brother was in the "duke of boots" , my uncle was in the KOSB's, I have attended numerous events over the years simply just to show my support and applaud these brave and loyal people.

I'm sorry if i have offended you though

Just now, @owlstalk said:

If you are a single service person you generally will elect to live in the blocks on camp/Station. The cost of these are deducted from your wages-typically £100-200. If you are married then you can bid for a married quarter and again this is deducted at source. Blokes like me who’s wife does not want to move around just wafts me away on a Sunday night and I live in the mess (bit like a combination of a club associated with your rank and incorporates your dining facility and block accommodation) during the week. 

Just now, airborne_rat_of_s6 said:

If you are a single service person you generally will elect to live in the blocks on camp/Station. The cost of these are deducted from your wages-typically £100-200. If you are married then you can bid for a married quarter and again this is deducted at source. Blokes like me who’s wife does not want to move around just wafts me away on a Sunday night and I live in the mess (bit like a combination of a club associated with your rank and incorporates your dining facility and block accommodation) during the week. 

Cool thanks mate

I know literally nowt about service life so it's all new to me

Owlstalk Shop