SHEFFIELD WEDNESDAY - ACCOUNTS AND FFP THREAD

9 minutes ago, 33 said:

Have to say that while I have made numerous comments relating to the ability to run the club, I genuinely feel sorry for the guy.

He has clearly come in with great intentions and has in good faith been let down by some who have taken advantage.

You know what they say: "A fool and his money are easily parted"

33 minutes ago, osowl said:

Actually not quite.

The other way is to get rid of as much dead wood as possible, but then spunk maximum cash on replacements during the summer and get promoted next year before the transfer embargo kicks in.

HMSPTL is still alive and kicking!!

UTO

Agree with principle but talk me through how you get rid of a bunch of vastly overpaid, injury prone players, the majority of whom are well over their well by date. Players won’t just walk away so we can have a go with another bunch. 

This is is a Jonk, Donnelly, Sibon et al situation, with fries, large shake and very hot apple pie. 

• Like 1

Just now, vulva said:

Agree with principle but talk me through how you get rid of a bunch of vastly overpaid, injury prone players, the majority of whom are well over their well by date. Players won’t just walk away so we can have a go with another bunch. 

This is is a Jonk, Donnelly, Sibon et al situation, with fries, large shake and very hot apple pie. 

Well at least the apple pies are hot now

Yet another catering improvement!

Well done SWFC :)

Owlstalk Shop

Just now, HarrowbyOwl said:

You know what they say: "A fool and his money are easily parted"

hmm into it for approx 100m according to MK 150m according to DC  

that's a fair wad to  invest / potentially lose most of it by anyone  -how he squares that with his family I don't know 

7 minutes ago, steelowl said:

that's a fair wad to  invest / potentially lose most of it by anyone  -how he squares that with his family I don't know 

Sure the family, who built up their business cautiously over 50 years, are chuffed about him spaffing 100-150m in 3 years on a irrational "investment" in an industry about which by his own admission he knew nothing.

What's not to like?

Edited by HarrowbyOwl

28 minutes ago, HarrowbyOwl said:

Transfer embargoes are one thing but It's the possibility of a points deduction this season (one of the available sanctions) that scares the crap out of me

We will be fine as long as we have filed everything with the league and had we not we would have heard something by now.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Pulcinella said:

I'd love to be corrected but where the error in the maths? £9.6m + £20.7m = £30.3m. You are allowed to lose £39m over three seasons - which leaves £8.7m left.

In the following year, the £9.6m drops off, but the £20.7m remains.

Infrastructural losses don't count

Its only staff and playing staff costs that count towards the 39m.

54 minutes ago, osowl said:

Actually not quite.

The other way is to get rid of as much dead wood as possible, but then spunk maximum cash on replacements during the summer and get promoted next year before the transfer embargo kicks in.

HMSPTL is still alive and kicking!!

UTO

Just one problem the transfer embargo will kick in this coming season the club have to give details of this season to the football league so unless we have managed reduce the losses this season to less than £9m we have already broken FFP.

Next season incoming will consist of free agents and loans but we will all be paying the high prices for this. Doesn't make the season ticket prices look as good as they did anymore does it.

£30-40 a game to watch free agents and kids while Abdi, Fletcher, Matias and others sit in the stand watching us play in their designer gear and free executive boxes getting over their latest 2 month lay off for a broken finger nail.

4 hours ago, Pulcinella said:

So there we have it, £9.6 million loss in 2016 and £20.7 million in 2017... and the accounts are only published up to May 31st 2017. Goodness knows what they are in the current financial year. But with a limit of a total loss of £39 million over 3 years, we've only got £8.7 left to play with - and on May 31st last year we had a wage that would push us way beyond it.

How did we get here? Quite possibly - it was that first summer around the time of signing Steven Fletcher. It was a marquee signing at the time but a/ it blew our wage structure and b/ it was a long contract.

The problem is, no matter how good he is, he isn't our best player. And that meant that others who had a stronger reason to be considered our best player then had a stronger reason to renegotiate their contract - FF, Lees for example. And quite right too - because we didn't want to lose those players.

It also opened up the possibility of signing players like Jones & Boyd, adequate as they are, but I worry about their contracts and we're probably paying them much more than their value to the team.

Could this be one of the reasons Jos is bringing on the youngsters? Even if it were possible - and I don't see how we can - we'd have to have a very major clear out in summer to bring ourselves back in line.

As supporters, we have to be realistic about our expectations - even accepting that we'll be happy being a safe mid-table club for the next few years. That £20.7 million loss is not going to disappear off FFP for several more years - and we still don't know what 2018's figures will be.

There is an alternative - and that's going for it for one season. But that is incredibly risky. To do a Wolves, you have to sign extremely well. And we haven't shown we can do that. We tend to sign Premiership players at the end of their careers on high wages and long contracts. We need to sign the next generation - which makes the Hirst situation even more tragic. In the last transfer window we signed Pelupessy. The fee was appropriate in my opinion - and we don't seem to have thrown money away on that deal. If we were to really go for it we need proper quality younger players, well scouted, and players that really would make a difference.

The alternative is a culling of the squad like never before. And how to move players on that other teams are unlikely to want!

I suspect we're already planning for FFP and we need to think long-term to sign players that would actually get us through it - not players that will be ready to retire during it!

They said on Radio Sheffield that the £20.7 million was a gross figure and is likely to come down significantly plus there is no such thing as FFP anymore and the Chairman is in debt to himself as long as he keeps funding the debt I don't see the need for panic .

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 minute ago, room0035 said:

Just one problem the transfer embargo will kick in this coming season the club have to give details of this season to the football league so unless we have managed reduce the losses this season to less than £9m we have already broken FFP.

Next season incoming will consist of free agents and loans but we will all be paying the high prices for this. Doesn't make the season ticket prices look as good as they did anymore does it.

£30-40 a game to watch free agents and kids while Abdi, Fletcher, Matias and others sit in the stand watching us play in their designer gear and free executive boxes getting over their latest 2 month lay off for a broken finger nail.

D-Taxis and Elev8 to the rescue. They have been very big money spinners this past year. Just hope the Football Leagues assessors drive themselves over when they come too look at the books.

• Haha 1

21 minutes ago, steelowl said:

Something on the lines of

Dad, tha know that football club I spent  thi cash on?

Tha means that un wi funny name?

That's em. Well av spunked 150 big ones on it.An it's in a reyt mess.

Tha what?

Get this sen ter packin department lad.lol

Edited by marshy
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, Pulcinella said:

One question then... if things are so dire, why didn't we listen to bids for Jordan Rhodes? Apparently Sunderland wanted him - even £5m and his wages off the books would have made the figures so much better.

Not that I particularly want him out of the club. And I still hope he can get his form back. But I would have thought that FFP trumps everything.

Sunderland are trying to get everyone on loan - the joke of FFP they are not governed by it so the £150m losses they currently have and the £30-40m a season they are losing they can do what they want. 

1 minute ago, marshy said:

Something on the lines of

Dad, tha know that football club I spent  thi cash on?

Tha means that un wi funny name?

That's em. Well av spunked 150 big ones on it.An it's in a reyt mess.

Tha what?

Get this sen ter packin department lad.lol

I think you'll find the estates arm of TU is just that 

1 minute ago, Sonny said:

D-Taxis and Elev8 to the rescue. They have been very big money spinners this past year. Just hope the Football Leagues assessors drive themselves over when they come too look at the books.

If i was DC I would be talking to Daddy to sign up that stadium naming rights for Hillsborough to the tune of £10m for the season and getting that new Shirt Sponsor John West for £3-5m for the next few season.

This would make PPF not an issue and he is only getting his inheritance early from daddy another way.

16 minutes ago, room0035 said:

We will be fine as long as we have filed everything with the league and had we not we would have heard something by now.

Not sure what point you're making mate. Accounts and projection for this year had to be filed on 1 March for the P&S assessment

If we are found to be in breach one of the available sanctions is points deduction this season.

1 minute ago, room0035 said:

If i was DC I would be talking to Daddy to sign up that stadium naming rights for Hillsborough to the tune of £10m for the season and getting that new Shirt Sponsor John West for £3-5m for the next few season.

This would make PPF not an issue and he is only getting his inheritance early from daddy another way.

that would work if it were allowed but it has to be market value 

always thought the john west stand was a given  but they've since had to distance themselves from involvement in football as it isn't part of the core business strategy   

I think both industries smell fishy 

5 minutes ago, Sonny said:

Do you think the EFL will approve big sponsorships from companies that aren't trading?

Or possibly hit us with bigger sanctions?