SHEFFIELD WEDNESDAY - ACCOUNTS AND FFP THREAD

One question then... if things are so dire, why didn't we listen to bids for Jordan Rhodes? Apparently Sunderland wanted him - even £5m and his wages off the books would have made the figures so much better.

Not that I particularly want him out of the club. And I still hope he can get his form back. But I would have thought that FFP trumps everything.

4 minutes ago, HarrowbyOwl said:

Another common misunderstanding is the 39m limit.

In any given year the maximum allowed loss is 5m  - or 13m if the owner puts in 8m.
So if you max out on the losses (and the owner is willing to chuck in 24m) you are allowed to lose up to 39m over the 3 year assessment period.
What it doesn't mean though is that if you lose 10m in year 1, 10m in year 2 and 19m in year 3 (total 39m) then you are compliant.
In this case you are still in breach for exceeding the 13m annual limit in year 3.

Championship clubs will be allowed to lose an average of £13m a season (or £5m if the owner doesn’t inject cash into the club to cover the loss). Hence, a long-standing Championship such as Brighton, is able to lose up to £39m over the three-season assessment period.

http://www.financialfairplay.co.uk/financial-fair-play-explained.php

Edited by OxonOwl

20 hours ago, vulva said:

Only Sheffield Wednesday could spend 25 years seeking serious investment, finally get it, and then end up in a pickle like this. 

The only possible way out of this is to generate as much from player sales in the summer as possible, gamble on youth, and dig in for the long term. 

Actually not quite.

The other way is to get rid of as much dead wood as possible, but then spunk maximum cash on replacements during the summer and get promoted next year before the transfer embargo kicks in.

HMSPTL is still alive and kicking!!

UTO

26 minutes ago, Pulcinella said:

One question then... if things are so dire, why didn't we listen to bids for Jordan Rhodes? Apparently Sunderland wanted him - even £5m and his wages off the books would have made the figures so much better.

Not that I particularly want him out of the club. And I still hope he can get his form back. But I would have thought that FFP trumps everything.

Probably because Sunderland couldn't afford to take him off our hands.

1 hour ago, room0035 said:

Slight problem with your idea is this season accounts end 31 May 2018, the transfer window does not open until 1st July 2018, so we will be under embargo unless our losses are less than £9m, so we will then have to probably make a profit next season in order to not still be under FFP embargo the following season. Very unlikely with the wage bill we currently have.

Also will the volume of fans still turn up if they are watching a team of kids and free agents at £35-40 a game - in the best of worlds this is unlikely.

Transfer embargoes are one thing but It's the possibility of a points deduction this season (one of the available sanctions) that scares the crap out of me

Have to say that while I have made numerous comments relating to the ability to run the club, I genuinely feel sorry for the guy.

He has clearly come in with great intentions and has in good faith been let down by some who have taken advantage.

The bit that I can't sympathise much with is that when it came to listening and decision making he has done too little of one and too much of another.

We need a strong FD to steady the ship.

Spending needs getting under control because if we are stupid enough to think chuck some more at it and fail next season he could soon be looking at close on £100M up the swanee

Time for control and a plan

7 minutes ago, 33 said:

Have to say that while I have made numerous comments relating to the ability to run the club, I genuinely feel sorry for the guy.

He has clearly come in with great intentions and has in good faith been let down by some who have taken advantage.

The bit that I can't sympathise much with is that when it came to listening and decision making he has done too little of one and too much of another.

We need a strong FD to steady the ship.

Spending needs getting under control because if we are stupid enough to think chuck some more at it and fail next season he could soon be looking at close on £100M up the swanee

Time for control and a plan

Isn't his bearded advisor still at his side though ?

3 hours ago, Mrmason69 said:

The accounts announcement also adds credence to rhe story than many of our players on the injury list aren't injured at all but the club are refusing to play them in order to avoid paying out appearance related monies as agreed in their contracts. 

When jl was asked about this he refused to deny it as told reporters to ask the owner. 

What a mess we are in when our highest paid players are prevented from players to save money. It's a fair bet which players aren't actually injured. Too many get season ending injuries in training. If it were true then a competent manager would modify the training programme. If it's not true then the manager is incompetent as he can't see that his training methods are damaging and dysfunctional. 

This isn't monty python it's sheffield wednesday 

So the players are colluding in this deceit which costs them loads of money!!!?

JL said "ask the owner" (link please)

Do you see ghosts as well?  Image result for ghost images

• Haha 1