SHEFFIELD WEDNESDAY - ACCOUNTS AND FFP THREAD

1 minute ago, steveger said:

I know you are jesting mate but a few people don't like change and would be happy for us to return to the stoneage and it shows with their continued agenda of the barrage of constant drivel against the club day in, day out, no names mentioned, as no need everyone can see who they are... 

No harm in asking questions and being concerned and worried, far from it

Obsession will get the better of them eventually. 

I was only half jesting... You're right though, a lot of people find change frightening, Christ, some of my friends combust at a slight change of routine. I'm all for asking questions, holding the powers that be to account, not a problem with that. What worries me is that it all becomes a self fulfilling prophecy and Chansiri thinks f all this and does one back to Bangkok.

• Thanks 1

While not good reading I don’t feel it’s anything to be getting worried about. 

Still under the margin and even if we can only have 2 in and 2 out in the summer we should be one of the stronger teams in this league. 

We have to hope we have better luck with injuries next season and Jos or whoever is manager gets them fitter than they have been. 

40 minutes ago, Bouncing Owl said:

I will provide OT with an analysis of the accounts when I have a minute tomorrow!

Accounts are not good given we have over £60m in creditors and turnover is only £23m.  It is a mess. 

Albeit most of that is Mr Chansiri who is currently not demanding any repayment.

The crucial thing in all of this, is that another season with anywhere near those losses and we will be in breach of financial fair play (certain deductions apply).

Therefore, if we are to avoid a transfer embargo, these are the only available options:-

1. Get promoted

2. Drastically increase turnover - looks unlikely without promotion.

3. Drastically reduce costs.  Looks difficult because not many players are out of contract and not many clubs will be willing to take them on given the player performance this season.

4. Sell players. Again looks difficult because most of our previous high value assets have been injured for lengthy periods and will therefore attract nowhere near the fee they would’ve 12 months ago.  Mr Chansiri will not have anticipated the extent to which we have suffered in this regard and therefore this may have been his get out and it now isn’t really there.

Therefore, this is where it gets dangerous for us. A transfer embargo looks likely unless we get promoted.

if that happens Mr Chansiri is not getting his money back.

Therefore, he may decide the route that makes most sense is to gamble on promotion.

Which might work or might not.....

Edited by HirstWhoScoredIt

6 minutes ago, southportdc said:

We were one win away from promotion one year, and two away the next. 

Not sure you can blame the strategy of the Chairman for losing one game tbh. 

We've challenged at the top end both years that this squad has even been vaguely fit.

If you want to say our squad without Hooper, Forestieri, Fletcher, Bannan, Lee, Lees, Westwood, Hutch etc. etc. isn't good enough, fine - but then you should remove their wages from the consideration too. 

It;s not so much blaming the strategy of the chairman for losing one game,  If I take £2000 out of the ISAs to put on the favourite for the Gold Cup, that's probably a bad idea.  It's a bad idea if it win or does something daft at the final fence.

I don't necessarily "blame" DC.  But a strategy of going aggressively for promotion does carry uncontrollable risks.  Not least because although we did go for it, we aren't financially competitive with the really big beasts in this league.  There's arguments both ways.

It remains the case that he is funding us generously via the softest of loans, and other routes.  One can't say other than that's a good thing.

Meanwhile, still no FFP figures, so hard to be sure how close to trouble we are

Just now, Widders said:

This is why he is selling 2-5 year season tickets so he can secure income. I think he might want to chuck a few quid on the pies. 

cash flow   

not sure can be accounted for as a single years income ? -someone on here will know 

10 minutes ago, steveger said:

I know you are jesting mate but a few people don't like change and would be happy for us to return to the stoneage and it shows with their continued agenda of the barrage of constant drivel against the club day in, day out, no names mentioned, as no need everyone can see who they are... 

No harm in asking questions and being concerned and worried, far from it

Obsession will get the better of them eventually. 

The vast majority questioning Chansiri’s methods and strategy have been long term fans worried about what was happening. It wasn’t a “barrage of constant drivel” it was legitimate concerns - and it wasn’t the sceptics who lost £30m in two seasons it was the apparently wonderful businessman who bought us. 

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, HirstWhoScoredIt said:

Albeit most of that is Mr Chansiri who is currently not demanding any repayment.

The crucial thing in all of this, is that another season with anywhere near those losses and we will be in breach of financial fair play (certain deductions apply).

Therefore, if we are to avoid a transfer embargo, these are the only available options:-

1. Get promoted

3. Drastically reduce costs.  Looks difficult because not many players are out of contract and not many clubs will be willing to take them on given the player performance this season.

4. Sell players. Again looks difficult because most of our previous high value assets have been injured for lengthy periods and will therefore attract nowhere near the fee they would’ve 12 months ago.  Mr Chansiri will not have anticipated the extent to which we have suffered in this regard and therefore this may have been his get out and it now isn’t really there.

Therefore, this is where it gets dangerous for us. A transfer embargo looks likely unless we get promoted.

Therefore, he may decide the route that makes most sense is to gamble on promotion.

Seeng as there is no chance of promotion this season, a transfer embargo looks the most likely outcome. 

1 minute ago, WalthamOwl said:

Would guess that any sellable players we have will be going in the summer. DC took a massive chance on us getting promoted in the first 2 seasons imo and it’s come to bite him on the arse. 

Hit the nail on the head mate . He went all in ,and his gamble has failed ,so now we must face the consequences . 

5 minutes ago, HirstWhoScoredIt said:

1. Get promoted

That's the best summary so far thank you

Owlstalk Shop

1 minute ago, S36 OWL said:

Seeng as there is no chance of promotion this season, a transfer embargo looks the most likely outcome. 

And if this year is like last year we’ll have accumulated £40m in losses in 2 seasons. If the FFP cap stays at £39m does that mean we will need to turn a £20m loss into a £1m loss to escape FFP again? 

4 minutes ago, rickygoo said:

The vast majority questioning Chansiri’s methods and strategy have been long term fans worried about what was happening. It wasn’t a “barrage of constant drivel” it was legitimate concerns - and it wasn’t the sceptics who lost £30m in two seasons it was the apparently wonderful businessman who bought us. 

I agree the vast majority are concerned and rightly so, i was highlighting the barrage of "constant  drivel" and mischief making by a handful.

Let's not pretend they don't exist

But like, whatever :wacko:

Edited by steveger
  • Like 1

3 minutes ago, rickygoo said:

Fair enough.. I was on the giddyness train like most...it was exciting.

FFS.

• Haha 2

15 minutes ago, southportdc said:

We were one win away from promotion one year, and two away the next. 

Not sure you can blame the strategy of the Chairman for losing one game tbh. 

We've challenged at the top end both years that this squad has even been vaguely fit.

If you want to say our squad without Hooper, Forestieri, Fletcher, Bannan, Lee, Lees, Westwood, Hutch etc. etc. isn't good enough, fine - but then you should remove their wages from the consideration too. 

One defender in that list. That's my point. We don't have a balanced squad and now we're in a position  where we'll struggle to address it. Also, everyone one of those players was with us prior to 16/17 kicking off. 

So, as I said - we have an imbalanced squad and haven't built on the success of 15/16. Basically you've agreed with me but managed to make it sound as though you're not. lol