SHEFFIELD WEDNESDAY - ACCOUNTS AND FFP THREAD

Just out of interest, I've gone through the last proper set of league accounts available (15/16) and it's pretty clear that spending massively is the way to get promoted (huge surprise, innit).

Burnley managed, with parachute payments, to go up with only a £5m loss in 15/16.

But Boro and Hull, the other promoted teams, lost £32m and £21m between them. Brighton finished between the two in the league, and they lost £26m (and went up the year after). The median losses of teams outside the top 6 was £5m, for the top 6 (including us) it was £18m. Exclude Burnley and it was £21m for the rest of the top 6.

This year, Wolves are going mental, Villa are already losing a shitload, and Derby and Fulham will have significant losses too. In fact, Derby were already losing £15m/year in 2016, so unless they've cut back, they could be in trouble too if they aren't promoted.

Yes, you get the occasional Huddersfield or United team who do well on a limited budget, but the general trend is, unsurprisingly, you need to spend to compete.

Some people on here will never be happy until we're owned by a spit and sawdust Yorkshireman born in a Sheffield steel mill, who wears a flat cap, lives on Hendersons and appoints Megson on a lifetime contract.

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 4

1 minute ago, Hitcat said:

Some people on here will never be happy until we're owned by a spit and sawdust Yorkshireman born in a Sheffield steel mill, who wears a flat cap, lives on Hendersons and appoints Megson on a lifetime contract.

heaven 

DC commitment to make funds available to deal with costs in next 12 months to ensure we continue as a going concern and of the creditors due after 12 months he has £37M in loans due to him which I presume he will just put back until we are in a position to start to repay them.

Looks like he not taking a salary as directors remuneration just over £150k which presumably will be other director, which is fair play

Time to reappraise strategy and start to tighten belts

Edited by 33
Yopt

8 minutes ago, southportdc said:

Just out of interest, I've gone through the last proper set of league accounts available (15/16) and it's pretty clear that spending massively is the way to get promoted (huge surprise, innit).

Burnley managed, with parachute payments, to go up with only a £5m loss in 15/16.

But Boro and Hull, the other promoted teams, lost £32m and £21m between them. Brighton finished between the two in the league, and they lost £26m (and went up the year after). The median losses of teams outside the top 6 was £5m, for the top 6 (including us) it was £18m. Exclude Burnley and it was £21m for the rest of the top 6.

This year, Wolves are going mental, Villa are already losing a shitload, and Derby and Fulham will have significant losses too. In fact, Derby were already losing £15m/year in 2016, so unless they've cut back, they could be in trouble too if they aren't promoted.

Yes, you get the occasional Huddersfield or United team who do well on a limited budget, but the general trend is, unsurprisingly, you need to spend to compete.

NB- With a canny manager and good value players

2 minutes ago, southportdc said:

Agreed, and the losses are to be expected, however it's what we've spent the money on that's an issue- we've ended up with a squad that's not really fit for purpose (if the purpose is to challenge at the top end) because we're loaded with misfiring strikers and too many similar midfielders, and a lack of quality defenders.

We've also failed to stay within FFP (almost certainly next year anyway) which is a concern  given DC has continually said we must be mindful of it (not mindful enough it seems).

Fact is, if we'd had an effective transfer strategy we could have built on 15/16 and had another decent crack this year and next. Instead though we've mismanaged the £39m margin for the last year and a half and we're about to feel the pain.

• Thanks 1

4 hours ago, smhouston said:

:laugh: 

Owners invest in the club = big loss = bad management

Owners don't invest in the club = still losses = bad management / no commitment

Yet our fans still think we can charge £10 a game and still expect to compete

Other clubs have managed to do it without losing £31 in 2 years I'm sure !

9 minutes ago, Hitcat said:

Just the man Hitcat ......

say-what-i-like-i-like-what-i-bloody-well-say.png

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

38 minutes ago, Geoffrey said:

The podcast on here a while back warned about the looming crisis and wondered why Chansiri wasn't spending on non-FFP things like the training ground and the academy. I didn't wonder,

You remind me of 4Bills Geoffrey.

lol

• Haha 1