Bristol City game in doubt??

4 minutes ago, @owlstalk said:

It's ON currently 

Only way it will be called off now is if any adverse weather arrives and impacts something to the point of it being off

PS - I reckon Bristol City are DESPERATE to play us this weekend and will do everything in their power (whilst keeping everyone safe) to make it happen

They may want to but they cant beat the weather, absolutely cannot see any reason game will be on , even their players will struggle to get there.

• Like 1

This reminds me of the Exeter away game in the L1 days under Irvine. Weather forecast was for snow and ice all week, I was going to go but didn't bother buying a ticket as I thought there'd be no way the game would be going ahead. Somehow it did despite most other games being called off, and treacherous conditions on the roads,  we were struggling and duly got hammered 5-1 - and the fans who made it had a nightmare journey home in the snow. But hey, who gives a damn about the travelling fans?

A statement needs to be made SOON on whether this game is either definitely on or definitely off.

Not only will the team be travelling down today but there will also be some Wednesday fans who will be travelling down the night before and staying over and this needs to be sorted out.

Apparently it's currently snowing in Bristol and non essential travel has been advised against so I don't think it fair to expect away fans to travel down tonight and "take their chances". Leaving it to the last minute isn't right.

Credit where it's due, the pigs called their home game off with Burton (who will travel far less distance than our fans will tomorrow) 2 days before. The authorities in Bristol really need to make a decision.

Trains cancelled, no buses running, police warning drivers to stay off the roads, public complaining on local forums about footpaths not being cleared, no sign of gritting lorries today yet BCFC are adamant the game will go ahead cos they have undersoil heating. I think the police may have a different view.

In about 85 Nev and I used to hitch-hike to all aways.

One midwinter morning in similar weather to today I waited for Nev at the parkway to hitch to White Hart Lane, but he didn’t show. I thought “lightweight” and pre-mobiles in those days I thought fek it I will go on my own.

It took me 4 lifts and 4 hours to get as far as Leicester-Forest, and the snow was getting thicker and thicker. I got picked up by the double of Ken Livingstone in a little sporty number, who could take me all the way to London. Just as we were nearing Luton, with the snow now even deeper, I spotted the team bus tear-arsing back North...I asked Ken t put the radio on and immediately heard the announcement of the latest cancellation, Spurs Wednesday!

Ken pulled off. I had a pee and bought a Picnic bar in the Shell garage and crossed under the flyover to start the hitch back to Sheffield.

10 hour round trip. for a Picnic. Frozen, wet, Fed-up (understatement).

• Haha 1

2 minutes ago, matthefish2002 said:

Police have got more important things to do then police a football match when weather like this.

Don't think match should go ahead.

It shouldn't but Bristol will be desperate for this match to go ahead, the safety of fans travelling down from Sheffield won't come into their consideration.

16 minutes ago, alanharper said:

This reminds me of the Exeter away game in the L1 days under Irvine. Weather forecast was for snow and ice all week, I was going to go but didn't bother buying a ticket as I thought there'd be no way the game would be going ahead. Somehow it did despite most other games being called off, and treacherous conditions on the roads,  we were struggling and duly got hammered 5-1 - and the fans who made it had a nightmare journey home in the snow. But hey, who gives a damn about the travelling fans?

Never forget that day. One of the all time lows.    I had to travel home on a bus full of city fans all giving it large.

5 minutes ago, Caicos Owl said:

It makes a mockery of all the TV news constantly telling us the weather is awful, travel is dangerous and assumes the police have enough numbers to be on duty there. Not a thought for the visiting team getting there and back and travelling supporters.