Sheffield Wednesday Player Clear out

Have to sell Bannan and Hooper for me. Only ones I can see clubs chucking a few quid at. FF had a whole season out his value has dropped. Westwood injury prone keeper not many will want to pay a fee and match the wages he's on here. Kieran Lee and Sam Hutchinson I'm not sure we will see again. 

Then we are saddled with the likes of Rhodes, Matias, Abdi, Fletcher for another season and more. Who on earth will want to take them off the wage bill?! 

In for a tough few seasons.

Clear the decks apart from both young Goalkeepers ..

Under 23's - Reach.- Joào - risk it with Van Acken Pulyerpussy & Palmer (depends who is going to be manager next season with those last three)

The rest bin them-  cut your losses 

they are a drain on our club /freeloading / taking the pìss / disrupting and generally frauds ...

On paper the squad looks awesome but so is the wage bill !!

Sheffield wednesday are very poorly at present ..

They need round the clock health care ..

A clear out is all very well in theory, but these individuals will need replacing to form a large enough squad. As we are presumably close to the FFP limits, we're probably going to have to save or raise a decent sum before we can think about getting new players with a realistic chance of being better than those we are letting go. Otherwise it could just be an exercise in swapping mediocre talent for a similar standard with just different names.

Ideally, we'd be able to sell a couple of players to raise some funds, but who is a likely option for that without potentially weakening us? Players like Rhodes, Fletcher and Abdi are not attractive to other teams given the amount we are likely paying them and they themselves would have no obvious motivation to be amenable to a considerable salary decrease playing elsewhere. The transfer value of Westwood, Lee and Forestieri could be significantly reduced for a while until they can demonstrate recovery from long term injuries.

The development of some young players during our injury crisis has been a rare sign of encouragement in this shambles of a season but are they really the foundation of a top Championship squad? How much will we need to rely on them if our transfer activity needs to be restrained in the short term?

And what are our ambitions for next season? Is a promotion challenge realistic in these circumstances? Or are we slowly rebuilding for the next sustained run at it in a couple of years' time? We may need to be more patient than football supporters are usually capable of accepting. Between them, the manager and board have made something of a mess of what was at one point a highly promising situation.

9 hours ago, DJMortimer said:

A clear out is all very well in theory, but these individuals will need replacing to form a large enough squad. As we are presumably close to the FFP limits, we're probably going to have to save or raise a decent sum before we can think about getting new players with a realistic chance of being better than those we are letting go. Otherwise it could just be an exercise in swapping mediocre talent for a similar standard with just different names.

Ideally, we'd be able to sell a couple of players to raise some funds, but who is a likely option for that without potentially weakening us? Players like Rhodes, Fletcher and Abdi are not attractive to other teams given the amount we are likely paying them and they themselves would have no obvious motivation to be amenable to a considerable salary decrease playing elsewhere. The transfer value of Westwood, Lee and Forestieri could be significantly reduced for a while until they can demonstrate recovery from long term injuries.

The development of some young players during our injury crisis has been a rare sign of encouragement in this shambles of a season but are they really the foundation of a top Championship squad? How much will we need to rely on them if our transfer activity needs to be restrained in the short term?

And what are our ambitions for next season? Is a promotion challenge realistic in these circumstances? Or are we slowly rebuilding for the next sustained run at it in a couple of years' time? We may need to be more patient than football supporters are usually capable of accepting. Between them, the manager and board have made something of a mess of what was at one point a highly promising situation.

It’s the Championship, so you can’t say never, but it’s looking highly unlikely we’ll be matching 2015/16 anytime soon.

Loovens and Wallace are no-brainers to realease. I said myself that Pudil wasn’t finished at the end of last season but that was as a LB, his performances since playing in a back 3 have changed my mind so Od give him another year. Nuhiu could also be worth keeping another year but that depends on what other strikers go out or come in. 

Having said all this, right now we really need to get behind these players who have given great service to the club in recent years, as I am sure they will be fighting to keep us in the league - but in the interest of wages we cannot afford if nothing else, then at the end of the season we have some decisions to make. 

Edited by jomaco

Guest Bulgaria
12 hours ago, SallyCinnamon said:

Have to sell Bannan and Hooper for me. Only ones I can see clubs chucking a few quid at. FF had a whole season out his value has dropped. Westwood injury prone keeper not many will want to pay a fee and match the wages he's on here. Kieran Lee and Sam Hutchinson I'm not sure we will see again. 

Then we are saddled with the likes of Rhodes, Matias, Abdi, Fletcher for another season and more. Who on earth will want to take them off the wage bill?! 

In for a tough few seasons.

I really cant see many coming in for Hooper, i really cant, Bannan absolutely.

People seem to think it will be easy to clear out players we don't want. When has this ever been the case? Took McGugan 2 years to get rid of didn't it?

With Van Aken, Thorniley and Fox in contract perhaps Pudil may go as we have cover at LCB. We may get an offer for Lees if we get him fit, in which case we should replace him with an experienced leader type to partner Van Aken.

Not too down about keeping Abdi, Lee, Hutch, Matias and Fletcher if no one wants them - they will be useful if used sparingly. Just can't build the team round them.

Someone will want FF, Hooper, Westwood, Bannan and Rhodes but offers may be lower than we'd like.

The state of our finances would suggest we will release all players who are out of contract in the summer

And we will sell anyone who attracts a fee

I expect to be watching a very young squad next season 

Just a bloke, who used up all his luck in one go when he met his wife.

Release -Wallace, Big Dave, Kean and Loovens

Loan - send Butterfield back

Sell - Westwood & Rhodes (may have to reduce price but I am sure someone will be interested)

Free Transfer - Fletcher, Fox, Boyd, Hutchinson

Keep - Winnall

Assuming Jos is still in charge next August, I'd be surprised if he isn't looking at German and Dutch players to replace some of the current squad.

Additionally, he has also shown that he is not afraid to promote players from the U23s, although the current injury crisis has forced his hand somewhat. The youngsters have also performed well and taken tip the challenge.

2 hours ago, Shetland Owl said:

Release -Wallace, Big Dave, Kean and Loovens

Loan - send Butterfield back

Sell - Westwood & Rhodes (may have to reduce price but I am sure someone will be interested)

Free Transfer - Fletcher, Fox, Boyd, Hutchinson

Keep - Winnall

It doesn't work like that, the players are under contract and will only move if they get better wages elsewhere

And no club is going to be daft enough to offer them more than we pay them

Just a bloke, who used up all his luck in one go when he met his wife.

Irony is our recruitment was much better under Roeder. He might look like half the cast of Wind in the Willows but at least our signings were Shrewd. 

Since he's been gone we've signed some right effing numpties for top dollar. 

I would say only Reach has been a decent signing in the last 2 years. 

Abdi, Fox, Jones, Fletcher, Pudil, JVA, arse rape no lube