Sheffield Wednesday Player Clear out

2 hours ago, WalthamOwl said:

As many as possible. 

It’s reached that stage. Like the summer when Chris Turner released virtually the entire squad to enable him to bring in Brunt, Whelan, MacLean, Peacock and McGovern.

Problem this time is most of the dross and long term injured are under contract 

51 minutes ago, nilsson said:

It’s reached that stage. Like the summer when Chris Turner released virtually the entire squad to enable him to bring in Brunt, Whelan, MacLean, Peacock and McGovern.

Problem this time is most of the dross and long term injured are under contract 

I would have Brunt and Whelan back now!

4 hours ago, matthefish2002 said:

Next season looks like being a 'Transitional Season' until we can make decent headway into clearing out players in Summer 2019.

I dont think many fans would accept that though (probably include myself in that).

When everything so expensive at Wednesday I think we should be promotion challenging 3 out of 4 seasons minimum.

i think we have to face up to facts and be realistic here. we support a football team that in modern times have been through the mill quite a bit.

milan hauled us back from the brink, and then in came the wealthy new owner.

however, he had the cash, but not the wealth of experience to run a club, we as a club hadn't an experienced ongoing modern heritage within the club to support him (i mean wednesday through and through, with good knowledge of the club and football, they type who would bleed blue and white stripes). then the appointment of a manager didn't go well, and we were left with a head coach in charge, but a head coach with a dubious history, and no one to oversee him.

first year, many things went well, but it was at great expense, with the club rushing to bring new players in, however overall 8/10 for a season rating.

then in the closed season, the issue of team strengthening looked like it was handled by someone who hadn't seen us play before, weak links weren't replaced with better, but yet more players in number were added, the second season was a grinding struggle, with some dour 45 minute matches, i guess a season score would be no better than 6.5 out of 10.

in the third season, our weaknesses again were not fully addressed, and we have been awful, for the fortune spent we simply have been atrocious, ravaged by injury and lack of fitness (that level of fitness likely explains our dour first 45's at s6 in the last 18 months).

a transitional season for me would be a vast improvement, than chucking huge money at things and hoping we can instantly buy instead of build our way to glory.

I think we have been privileged to have had the money that out previous managers have had and wasted it on overpaid none tryers some of which we didn't need.Looking at things now the brightest sparks are the young talent we have coming through the ranks, these over paid senior players should be ashamed of themselves and of their recent input into our beloved club.

Think pudils lost the legs for full back but has been first class since moving to centre back, apart from the little head rush he got when we got beat by Birmingham. He deserves a new contract, loovens maybe as a reserve, as he’d no doubt be a good influence about the place. Other than that I dunno, even though atdhe does have his uses 

7 hours ago, Zlin Owl said:

As many of them as we want if someone is interested and we deem it sensible to make a loss on some. 

Loovens, Buttercup, Wallace, Palmer, Fletcher, Rhodes and maybe Boyd should all be told there future at SWFC is over. Buttercup the easiest I know.

But we must tie Clare and Hirst down to a contract first IF they are not interested cash in and move on but I hope we can do business with them.

We also need clarity on Jos, will he be here next season, all this stuff about us sniffing around other managers is not only unsettling but down right dis-respectful.

add Nuhui to that list bud looks about right,deffo agree bout Clare and Hirst,but our best bit of business could be persuading Mcarthy to come from Ipswich

4 hours ago, Ian_D said:

It would be easy to get Hirst to sign a new contract, just offer him shed loads of signing fee and a get-out clause if a prem team comes in with an offer in excess of £xxM (replace the x's with you own figure here.)  Both parties would then win.

Only if he continues to develop. The sticking point was that he wanted a figure that the club considered excessive for an U23. If he fails to progress we end up paying an inflated wage to someone who doesn't contribute to the first team.

I've no idea whether he will turn into a super star or not, no one can be sure. There's a middle ground where we pay a decent wage for a young lad with good potential, a bonus for first team appearances and goals and review the contract to reward progress. We've just not found the package yet to satisfy all parties. We may never find it but I don't advocate giving first team wages to an unproven player.

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, steelcityowlsfan said:

Whether we sell them, loan them or they are out of contract the following are not good enough for us:

Palmer

Loovens

Fox

Wallace

Butterfield

Abdi

Nuhui

Jones

Fletcher

You can add Jack Hunt to that list too. 

6 minutes ago, prowl said:

Only if he continues to develop. The sticking point was that he wanted a figure that the club considered excessive for an U23. If he fails to progress we end up paying an inflated wage to someone who doesn't contribute to the first team.

I've no idea whether he will turn into a super star or not, no one can be sure. There's a middle ground where we pay a decent wage for a young lad with good potential, a bonus for first team appearances and goals and review the contract to reward progress. We've just not found the package yet to satisfy all parties. We may never find it but I don't advocate giving first team wages to an unproven player.

Yeah good points. Not  considered the possibility that he wouldn't  make sufficient progress. 

43 minutes ago, brando said:

add Nuhui to that list bud looks about right,deffo agree bout Clare and Hirst,but our best bit of business could be persuading Mcarthy to come from Ipswich

McCarthy a good shout, however, would he come and is he still what we need for the long term. He does good on small budgets but his style sometimes is prehistoric. Not sure who we could get in to be honest but the longer it goes on the more I am sure Jos was a short fix and maybe at the end of the season it will be addressed.

Lets all hope it is addressed in the Championship.

15 hours ago, vulva said:

This. And we still haven’t recovered. Don’t think many people realise that we are in for the very long haul here.  

Good luck trying to move on a bunch of failed, injury prone aging Championship footballers, many of whom are on Premier league wages for the next 1 to 3 years. 

We’ve got ourselves in a right pickle. Only way out is to sell players. Reach and Hirst will be the first, followed by FF when he proves his fitness. 

2 to 3 years minimum to turn this mess around. Who realistically would have any of them bearing mind the ludicrous wages they are probably on. We are stuck with them until their contracts expire. 

Guest Xxxxxxxxcxcc
7 hours ago, WhiteOwl91 said:

Winnall ACL says he won't go. 

Westwood with 12 months left? Be a pittance. May as well keep him if we have any promotion ambition

Although given our strength in the GK department if I could see him being let go for a nominal fee to save wages.

I think it likely that all the out of contract players will be released. If Hooper and FF return and show good form before the end of the season I could well see them being cashed in subject to suitable bids. Not ideal but in the summer Jos or whoever is in charge will want and need some wiggle room to wheel and deal. Reach's form might have alerted other clubs too and given some of the daft transfer fees in this country I'd guess that a hefty uplift on outlay wouldn't be sniffed at.

Edited by Xxxxxxxxcxcc
grammar

17 hours ago, Stoop said:

Palmer

Loovens

Fox

Wallace

Jones

Butterfield

Nuhiu 

Should all be moved on if possible

Westwood and Winnal should be sold to raise abit of cash 

The rest are decent imo 

Good point.

Really think we should be building around the youngsters like Clare, Hirst, Nielson, Reach, Wildsmith etc.

As for signing Whelan and Brunt as someone has mentioned, again past their best.

Build a young team for a settled long term future.

May need the odd old head for experience.

14 hours ago, sheriwozgod said:

Pudil, Wallace, Nuhiu, Loovens and Kean all out of contract and i would let them all leave personally.

Return Butterfield and Venancio after their loans and do our best to offload Rhodes, Palmer, Fox  and Jones.

Replace with 3 or 4 SENSIBLE and SPECIFICALLY TARGETTED players.

Palmers a decent enough player at this level and certainly has done ok this season. Agree with the rest. Would love JR’s to come good and to be fair we won’t get a fraction of what we paid if we sell him now. Get some better players back and he may be worth a final chance.