Rhodes

Jim

He never tried an inch last night. 

He had a clear cut chance when Joan gave him a great ball in the box. Rhodes made no attempt to score 

Second half Rhodes got a super through ball. All he had to do was take in down and run through. What did he do? He just turned his head and headed it backwards to a Swansea player. He made no attempt to do a thing with the ball. When he's given a ball ti feet he won't do anything with it. When he's clean through he won't do a thing to score. 

He isn't trying. 

He's got a ridiculous four year contract at 50 grand a week. We can't ever sell him. 

He can't be made to leave. 

It's obvious that he's just taking the money. We can't do a thing about that 

So take away his squad number and treat him like Hirst and mcgugan

Difference is that Rhodes deserves it, the other two were victims of the Hillsborough clique 

See , I understand the level of criticism Rhodes gets I really do but he will never ever be successful in the system we play

i genuinely can’t remember the last time time we put a decent amount of crosses into the box, or played in and around the six yard box and like it or not that’s his game and that’s how he’s scored all the goals he has in the past, he should never have been signed unless we had a manager who understood how to play to his strengths ! He wasn’t the striker we needed but to call him out as woeful and throw stuff about like worse ever signing for the club is a little bit harsh for me 

I’d like to know what Fletcher has done to save himself from the level of criticism Rhodes has had, because that bloke for me has been absolutely woeful on more occasions than I care to remember and cuts about like he couldn’t careless and is also yet again crocked 

9 minutes ago, Royal_D said:

See , I understand the level of criticism Rhodes gets I really do but he will never ever be successful in the system we play

i genuinely can’t remember the last time time we put a decent amount of crosses into the box, or played in and around the six yard box and like it or not that’s his game and that’s how he’s scored all the goals he has in the past, he should never have been signed unless we had a manager who understood how to play to his strengths ! He wasn’t the striker we needed but to call him out as woeful and throw stuff about like worse ever signing for the club is a little bit harsh for me 

I’d like to know what Fletcher has done to save himself from the level of criticism Rhodes has had, because that bloke for me has been absolutely woeful on more occasions than I care to remember and cuts about like he couldn’t careless and is also yet again crocked 

Are you serious?

Fletcher has an all-round game for a start, and has actually looked more of a goal threat as well.

He showed more commitment and showed up for the big occasion.

Rhodes should be good enough to adapt to a system. The footballing world does not revolve around him.

Honestly, the excuses made for him are ridiculous.

Just now, Bannofan said:

Are you serious?

Fletcher has an all-round game for a start, and has actually looked more of a goal threat as well.

Rhodes should be good enough to adapt to a system. The footballing world does not revolve around him.

So were questioning his commitment aswell now ??   I’ve just said I understand the criticism he gets he hasn’t been good enough, but he was never going to be because the systems we play do not suit him, maybe he should be able to adapt better but he’s not the only player at the club who doesn’t adapt to different systems, Abdi has been terrible and will continue to be so whilever we set up like we do 

Fletcher and all round game ?  Yet to see it , he’s all or absolutely nothing for me 

20 hours ago, mcmigo said:

Can’t kick, run or head. Has no strength nor awareness. 

the free kick :carlosswfc:. You knew what was going to happen, it’s like his legs don’t have the necessary power to kick a ball hard.

There is no point him being in the squad. I would remove him completely now until pre season and tell him to take some holiday, then get his head right and physical strength back. That’s our only chance of getting any value at all from him.

i'm not proud to admit it,but i laughed at that free kick,he seemed to give it his all only to see the ball trundle to the keepers arms.:sad:

3 hours ago, Bannofan said:

The ones that wanted to sign him, when we didn't actually need another striker?

Obviously when we signed him I wanted him to do well, nothing we could do once he was on the pay roll, but I was a bit disappointed he got more chances than Winnall despite SW showing much more in every game. 

Rhodes has never been a good player, he's just a finisher. He did really well at Huddersfield, I think that was his peak. At Blackburn he scored a lot but it didn't do much for them in the big scheme of things. Maybe kept them up a season longer.

I just hope he finds a new club in the summer, gets fit, and has a good season. Obviously he will score against us if he plays and Owlstalk will be full of ' told you' so's , but that's football.

I think Rotherham could be a good fit for him. 

Carlos had no idea how to use either Rhodes or Winnall.

Such a waste 

Guest Xxxxxxxxcxcc
Just now, SallyCinnamon said:

Was watching some of his goals on YouTube earlier.

Such a shame. He was some striker, a real handful scoring all types of goals.

You do have to wonder why at 27/28, whatever one thought of his all round game, why he seems to have lost all that he previously excelled at.

2 hours ago, Royal_D said:

The only reason Fletcher escapes my wrath, is because he isn’t playing Both are really limited at this level now

3 hours ago, Bannofan said:

Are you serious?

Nobody ever seems to make excuses for Big Dave.

A player who would run through a brick wall  for us, dust himself down,  and go again.

Lets be honest, who would you rather have in your squad.

Edited by Sergeant Tibbs

A player like Rhodes is the final piece of the jigsaw

He's the player you sign when you're making loads of chances but not putting them away

Our problem is we signed him without having all the other pieces in place

We've just thrown him in and said 'score goals' without supplying him with chances

We need 4 or 5 quality signings before we will see the real Rhodes

Just a bloke, who used up all his luck in one go when he met his wife.

simple answer is we are not and never have played him right, As hootie stated above , Rhodes is a poacher but is having to do everything but his job and yes he doesent seem to do it well so therefore let himplay where he will do most damage by playing off the last defender and give him the ball to his feet rather than yards in front of him where he struggles to catch the ball 

Edited by trevdi9
  • Like 1

14 minutes ago, HOOTIE AND THE poo TU said:

A player like Rhodes is the final piece of the jigsaw

He's the player you sign when you're making loads of chances but not putting them away

Our problem is we signed him without having all the other pieces in place

We've just thrown him in and said 'score goals' without supplying him with chances

We need 4 or 5 quality signings before we will see the real Rhodes

6 minutes ago, trevdi9 said:

simple answer is we are not and never have played him right, As hootie stated above , Rhodes is a poacher but is having to do everything but his job and yes he doesent seem to do it well so therefore let himplay where he will do most damage by playing off the last defender and give him the ball to his feet rather than yards in front of him where he struggles to catch the ball 

main-qimg-bb586ebf4aec5d1669f80fa7949d5880-c.jpeg

Rhodes is a bit like the Wednesday fans at the moment: been messed about, lost confidence, full of doubt with some anxiety, and desperate for the season to be over.

Like us, he needs a break in May, and after a period of licking our wounds, we, like Rhodes, will come back hungry, fresher and with our old swagger.  

I'm not giving up on him. He needs a break, a solid pre-season and a manager who loves him and then watch him go. He's not even hit his peak years.

Let's be honest, if he leaves he'll score a hatfull of goals. Get behind him and let's see what next season brings. Lots of goals I expect. 

At least he's available and not feigning injury. It would be easy for him to sit this one out. Others are. 

I've never been too much of a fan of the goal poacher as a concept as I think it is too simplistic and restrictive on the team as a whole. And one wonders if it is becoming something of an outdated notion in modern football at the higher levels.

But if you are a believer that this can work, whilst acknowledging that we have not been creating enough chances for such a player, there still should have been way more signs from Rhodes of the production that could occur in better circumstances. The truth is though, he has looked hopelessly ineffectual in the large majority of games he has played with precious little reason for having any faith things will change and he has been comprehensively outperformed by players with nothing like his prior reputation or value.

Yet the excuses keep coming. I can't think of any other Wednesday player who has been afforded such extraordinary leniency for such a long period. There have certainly been many examples in the past who would have been comparatively hung, drawn and quartered for being only 10% as unproductive.

• Thanks 1

37 minutes ago, trevdi9 said:

Might aswell just have a goal poacher from a Sunday league side then who is just good at scoring , nothing else if given the crosses......garbage