Rhodes

Jim

3 minutes ago, CLswfc said:

Not having a go pal but where do you get quality striker term from. He as had more than a fair chance and to be honest he is going further and further backwards. I can't honestly say Ive seen him even have an half decent game for Wednesday. he's 28 and should now be about the time he peaks. It's like playing with 10 men when he is in the side. The signing was an absolute disaster for the club in terms of tying finances up and the failure to live up to some of this hype. Against Swansea was an embarrassment. At one point when the camera zoomed in I think it was when he was getting booked, he reminded of one of those stupid Mr Bean sets where he's mumbling away but can't tell what he's saying. 

Going off his previous scoring record at several clubs.

Any talk of the financial impact of this signing is largely pointless; the money is spent and we are unlikely to recoup it from selling the player on.  In fact, there was debate on here a few weeks ago suggesting that selling him could actually worsen our position in terms of FFP.

We have him.  We now need to use him correctly.  I would actually do something pretty bold.  If I was Jos I would tell Rhodes he is playing every game from now until the end of the season (fitness permitting). Tell him to play his natural game and pair him up with Joao or Nuhiu.  

We keep saying we shouldn't judge Jos until he has time.  Well, we can't judge Rhodes until he gets a consistent run in the side instead of starting one match, dropped for the next match, then an hour here and then coming on for ten minutes the week after.  Strikers, perhaps more than any other position, need consistency and support.  They need confidence.  

38 minutes ago, Lythamowl said:

Its a damn shame because every wednesdayite to a man wanted him to be the new hirst.

The ones that wanted to sign him, when we didn't actually need another striker?

Obviously when we signed him I wanted him to do well, nothing we could do once he was on the pay roll, but I was a bit disappointed he got more chances than Winnall despite SW showing much more in every game. 

Rhodes has never been a good player, he's just a finisher. He did really well at Huddersfield, I think that was his peak. At Blackburn he scored a lot but it didn't do much for them in the big scheme of things. Maybe kept them up a season longer.

I just hope he finds a new club in the summer, gets fit, and has a good season. Obviously he will score against us if he plays and Owlstalk will be full of ' told you' so's , but that's football.

I think Rotherham could be a good fit for him. 

48 minutes ago, A12owl said:

I just don't believe you can make comments like that.

Just a finisher.........does that not qualify for being good at his job?

Didn't do much in the big scheme of things........he scored goals. That was his job. Did you watch Blackburn when he played for them? I didn't but do know that by scoring goals he was doing what he was being paid to do.

Agreed he has not done it for us but he just hadn't had the amount of chances he should have had  . If he gets 5 chances in a game he will put at least 1 away. He is probably only getting 1 or at most 2 half chances  

Neither Carlos nor Jos has played with wide men capable of feeding Rhodes with chances. Until somebody does then he ain't going to score many. 

The service thing is a complete fallacy.

when he gets chances he doesn’t score.

people need to stop making excuses for him he was dire again last night.

2 hours ago, WalthamOwl said:

Hes still our 2nd top scorer of the season I believe. Do any of our strikers put the ball in the net enough. Without Hooper, scoring this season has been a massive problem and I do believe the lack of creativity and lack of quality upfront are a massive concern. Rhodes had the quality not so long ago, I’m just clinging on to the hope he might rediscover it. 

Joao is our 2nd top scorer in the league - 6, Rhodes has 4 in league but also 2 in cups, so joint 2nd in all comps.

22 minutes ago, ka58 said:

The service thing is a complete fallacy.

when he gets chances he doesn’t score.

people need to stop making excuses for him he was dire again last night.

good free kick effort at least

Oh no, wait

Sorry, wrong game

2 hours ago, i used to be sc_owl said:

He is a quality striker in the right team, with the right players and the right service.

At the moment, he has none of those things.  

Going into next season I sincerely hope we have a plan to build a team around attacking football because that's arguably our strongest area.  A team built around Rhodes, Hooper and Forestieri would be formidable in this league.  A 3-5-2 could even work with Rhodes and Forestieri up top and Hooper in the gap between midfield and attack.  If we had two fit wing backs and a couple of midfield enforcers that is a system that could easily achieve top-six. 

i could fit that bill too, surrounded by the right players and on a plate service

17 minutes ago, A12owl said:

How many chances did he get last night?

The issue is he won't get many chances - see my earlier post.  We have no pace in midfield apart from Reach and, hopefully now, Clare.  Rhodes himself has no pace. So the centre back on Rhodes just needs to march him up or to the side of the pitch and away from the goal.  That pins the whole team back and compounds the problem of him not getting chances.

Could he score a load in a different side?  Maybe.  It would need to be in a quick team who could pin a defence back and have them worrying the whole time about balls over their heads or past them down the sides to drag the back 4/5 out of shape and get Rhodes space and time in the box.  Maybe he is still a deadly finisher.  But we wont see it here.

Can’t believe how many of our fans are living in the past with Jordan Rhodes He isn’t good enough for this level anymore

Whether it’s because championship football has moved on, or Rhodes has lost the edge he once had Probably a bit of both, but it was pretty clear to some of us that he was never going to be a good fit Just how bad though, came as a bit of a shock

Just now, Dooley87 said:

He isnt getting the service and add to that his confidence is shot.

Still think jordan will come good and time to judge will be when he has some real quality alongside him. Fessi, lee, bannan, hooper. At moment we would make messi look crap.

He’s had most of those at some point, and never looked convincing People have changed their tune, before we signed him, we were told he only needs a half chance and he wins you the game

1 hour ago, A12owl said:

How many chances did he get last night?

None I think.

is that a defence for him?

how many positive contributions did he make last night?

anything.

a decent bit of hold up play? A flick on? 

his performance was abject. 

24 minutes ago, Dooley87 said:

He isnt getting the service and add to that his confidence is shot.

Still think jordan will come good and time to judge will be when he has some real quality alongside him. Fessi, lee, bannan, hooper. At moment we would make messi look crap.

Cloud cuckoo land mate!