Rhodes

Jim

14 hours ago, yeadonowl said:

The scapegoat again

Although absolutely zero chances created, Butterfield gives the ball away every time he touches it, Jones just as bad, Boyd offers nothing, Loovens just fouls his man, Joao didn’t touch the ball second half but yes it’s Rhodes fault

wasnt one of them that got any credit tonight

I’m not blaming him for last night far from it. I just watched his performance last night and I just felt that he’s far from the player he once was. You can argue as to the reasons why but I just felt watching him last night that the player who was one of the best strikers in the football league has totally disappeared and I don’t see that player ever returning certainly not with us anyway.

1 hour ago, Rebowl Yell said:

1 hour ago, Rebowl Yell said:
  14 hours ago, Dylan93 said:

He’s not the problem. EVERYBODY in football knows he’s a box player. If he had Snodgrass supplying him instead of Reach, he’d have more goals. He plays in a formation that doesn’t suit his style and it’s knocked his confidence

Rhodes hasn’t changed , its our lack of supply to a player that thrives on chances in the box. He has never been a player to do much outside the box. Perhaps that’s a luxury to have such a player however if you are creating chances through wingers or creative midfield players then he will be on the end of it. Someone like Joao offers a different style as he can run , take players on and create his own chances. 

Depends which style of play play the manager chooses. 

Rhodes has not become a bad player overnight. 

3 minutes ago, Mav-erick said:

Rhodes hasn’t changed , its our lack of supply to a player that thrives on chances in the box. He has never been a player to do much outside the box. Perhaps that’s a luxury to have such a player however if you are creating chances through wingers or creative midfield players then he will be on the end of it. Someone like Joao offers a different style as he can run , take players on and create his own chances. 

Depends which style of play play the manager chooses. 

Rhodes has not become a bad player overnight. 

Blackburn must have had a right team then...

His contribution is nil.

3 minutes ago, A12owl said:

The only way Rhodes will rediscover his devastating goalscoring form will be to change our tactics . Current tactics have not been working in an attacking aspect. 

Rhodes is a poacher and needs the ball putting into the box on the floor. Or for another forward to give him some knockdowns.  Proper wingers the like of who supplied Madine with the ammunition are desperately needed.

Is Rhodes at his best better than Madine at his best?

Proper wingers or proper wing backs will create the chances.

Absolute rubbish, I'm sorry but the ' let's lay it on a plate for him' argument has been done to death. We do create chances, Rhodes just isn't fit enough or quick enough to get on the end of them. When he does, he can't finish them.

I'm baffled as to what Rhodes has done for us to warrant him being given this much leeway by some fans. He's been given chance after chance, more than his play and effort deserves.

I think most strikers would like the ball putting into the box on the floor, by the way. That's a bizarre argument . 

1 hour ago, mcmigo said:

Whatever the reason, and I suspect there are several dimensions to it, Jos should be brave enough to end his season now.  He cant offer anything in the starting line up or coming off the bench and him playing like this is just making us and him worse. 

Give the guy 4 months off, don't let him kick a football.  Let him come back 1 July and have another crack at it. 

His team mates are already trying this and have been for ages

25 minutes ago, Bannofan said:

Absolute rubbish, I'm sorry but the ' let's lay it on a plate for him' argument has been done to death. We do create chances, Rhodes just isn't fit enough or quick enough to get on the end of them. When he does, he can't finish them.

I'm baffled as to what Rhodes has done for us to warrant him being given this much leeway by some fans. He's been given chance after chance, more than his play and effort deserves.

I think most strikers would like the ball putting into the box on the floor, by the way. That's a bizarre argument . 

So what should we do? Boo him? You really think we create loads of chances for him? The one game I remember us actually creating chances was Bolton in the cup and he scored 2 goals. 

2 hours ago, mcmigo said:

Whatever the reason, and I suspect there are several dimensions to it, Jos should be brave enough to end his season now.  He cant offer anything in the starting line up or coming off the bench and him playing like this is just making us and him worse. 

Give the guy 4 months off, don't let him kick a football.  Let him come back 1 July and have another crack at it. 

This wouldn't go down well with this team mates tbf

But tbh the ones playing look like they've been off for 4 months themselves

7 minutes ago, WalthamOwl said:

So what should we do? Boo him? You really think we create loads of chances for him? The one game I remember us actually creating chances was Bolton in the cup and he scored 2 goals. 

We create as many chances for him as we do our other strikers. The game isn't just about him, there are other players in our team.

Of course we shouldn't boo him, but we shouldn't make him out to be something he clearly isn't on here as well. 

To be honest I think one issue is , is that too many people on here built him up , bigged him up and clamoured for his signing , and now it hasn't worked out they can't bare to admit they were wrong, so it's everybody elses fault apart from Rhodes's that he isn't scoring. 

• Thanks 1

He is a quality striker in the right team, with the right players and the right service.

At the moment, he has none of those things.  

Going into next season I sincerely hope we have a plan to build a team around attacking football because that's arguably our strongest area.  A team built around Rhodes, Hooper and Forestieri would be formidable in this league.  A 3-5-2 could even work with Rhodes and Forestieri up top and Hooper in the gap between midfield and attack.  If we had two fit wing backs and a couple of midfield enforcers that is a system that could easily achieve top-six. 

14 minutes ago, Bannofan said:

We create as many chances for him as we do our other strikers. The game isn't just about him, there are other players in our team.

Of course we shouldn't boo him, but we shouldn't make him out to be something he clearly isn't on here as well. 

To be honest I think one issue is , is that too many people on here built him up , bigged him up and clamoured for his signing , and now it hasn't worked out they can't bare to admit they were wrong, so it's everybody elses fault apart from Rhodes's that he isn't scoring. 

Hes still our 2nd top scorer of the season I believe. Do any of our strikers put the ball in the net enough. Without Hooper, scoring this season has been a massive problem and I do believe the lack of creativity and lack of quality upfront are a massive concern. Rhodes had the quality not so long ago, I’m just clinging on to the hope he might rediscover it. 

Edited by WalthamOwl

5 minutes ago, i used to be sc_owl said:

He is a quality striker in the right team, with the right players and the right service.

At the moment, he has none of those things.  

Going into next season I sincerely hope we have a plan to build a team around attacking football because that's arguably our strongest area.  A team built around Rhodes, Hooper and Forestieri would be formidable in this league.  A 3-5-2 could even work with Rhodes and Forestieri up top and Hooper in the gap between midfield and attack.  If we had two fit wing backs and a couple of midfield enforcers that is a system that could easily achieve top-six. 

Not having a go pal but where do you get quality striker term from. He as had more than a fair chance and to be honest he is going further and further backwards. I can't honestly say Ive seen him even have an half decent game for Wednesday. he's 28 and should now be about the time he peaks. It's like playing with 10 men when he is in the side. The signing was an absolute disaster for the club in terms of tying finances up and the failure to live up to some of this hype. Against Swansea was an embarrassment. At one point when the camera zoomed in I think it was when he was getting booked, he reminded of one of those stupid Mr Bean sets where he's mumbling away but can't tell what he's saying. 

Its a damn shame because every wednesdayite to a man wanted him to be the new hirst. Simple fact is though, whatever he had has gone, he looks a broken man. Don't give the the lack of service testicles because it just doesn't wash, even nuhui looks better this season and that speaks volumes. I'm sorry for the lad though, he seems genuinely decent and could have been a cult hero here. Now he will just be added to the long list of players who have entered the famous 'swfc career ending machine'.