The Taylor report.

Not sure if this is the right section, but was thinking the other day, that the initial report into the semi final disaster (the Taylor report) largely blamed the Liverpool fans, and was fairly scathing of football fans in general. This led to all seater stadiums.

Now that report has been largely dismantled by the most recent enquiry, which absolved fans totally , what is the justification for football now being treat differently to all other sports with regard to standing?

please feel free to move, but it is a genuine question and one I would like to hear people’s views on, and yes I know it still won't happen, but the justification for it has been proved to be unrealistic hasn’t it?

As far as I remember the Taylor Report largely blamed police errors rather than scapegoating the fans, although it did mention that the unruly behaviour of some fans did exacerbate the crush outside the turnstiles. 

Obviously now even that minority have been airbrushed from history and fans apparently played absolutely zero part in it. 

• Thanks 2

8 minutes ago, shandypants said:

With absolutely no cynicism intended, I believe that it would take a brave man to propose standing sections at Hillsborough and probably a braver man to approve it. 

Well I would propose the back half of the kop be made safe standing, easily split with the horizontal gangway midway up the kop. Why should we have to stand aside and watch everybody else do it first. Lets show the rest how it can be done.

21 minutes ago, @owlstalk said:

It has yeah

there is a move towards safe standing areas now

expect to see them soon at other clubs 

Am i right in saying they already have them in Scotland. Pretty sure Celtic have one dont they? 

Seems to work ok in Germany. 'The Wall' at Dortmund is still terracing and they get no mither there... 

Or here is an idea how many people have died in this Country from stadium riots or violence since the stadiums were made all seater.  ANSWER 0 so lets keep it that way.

You want to stand - stand outside and let those wanting a seat sit in the stadium. 

• Haha 1

1 minute ago, room0035 said:

Or here is an idea how many people have died in this Country from stadium riots or violence since the stadiums were made all seater.  ANSWER 0 so lets keep it that way.

You want to stand - stand outside and let those wanting a seat sit in the stadium. 

Watch the videos above mate

Owlstalk Shop

6 minutes ago, @owlstalk said:

Watch the videos above mate

No I can't Celtic are still the main problem for teams in Europe they cannot even control their own fans now what chance do they have with Standing.

This will only go one way.

In the 70's and 80's hooligans got control of our game because they could not be controlled with the Taylor report and the introduction of all seater stadiums - football became civilized again a place for families to go and shortly after the Premier League was born.

Lets say in an alternative universe the Hillsborough disaster never happened the police never opened the gate and 30-40 drunk fans with no tickets where crushed outside, the barriers stayed up and standing stayed.

In all honesty with the way football was dying where do you think the game and we would be know? - this is what you want to return to - not me thanks.

Edited by room0035
  • Thanks 1

36 minutes ago, Plonk said:

Not sure if this is the right section, but was thinking the other day, that the initial report into the semi final disaster (the Taylor report) largely blamed the Liverpool fans, and was fairly scathing of football fans in general. This led to all seater stadiums.

Now that report has been largely dismantled by the most recent enquiry, which absolved fans totally , what is the justification for football now being treat differently to all other sports with regard to standing?

please feel free to move, but it is a genuine question and one I would like to hear people’s views on, and yes I know it still won't happen, but the justification for it has been proved to be unrealistic hasn’t it?

The Taylor Report did not blame the fans. It mainly blamed the policing.

39 minutes ago, alanharper said:

As far as I remember the Taylor Report largely blamed police errors rather than scapegoating the fans

Exactly this. The Taylor Report primarily found the cause to be failure of police control with failures by the club contributing (ie barriers and turnstiles). It’s incorrect to say that it blamed the fans.