Clubs who got promoted but are now in a mess

The championship is full of them isn't it?

Not just clubs who went into the Premier League and came back down, but clubs who came back down and got in a whole mess with their finances, morale, players and knock on effects

Some recent Premier League teams even slumped further down the divisions haven't they?

I guess my question is do you think it's worth a few years of worry and strife and being rubbish and skint for one or two years in the Premier League?

For those who talk about parachute payments or making stacks of cash up there - has it really helped those who have slumped since into the doldrums?

I dunno

I'm just tired I think

I'm going to bed

lol

Owlstalk Shop

Yeah Hull are a good example

Got promoted - must have been/felt amazing to beat us at Wembley, went up, then have been on a massive slide of angrymad disappointment ever since

Is it better to keep finishing top 6 in the Championship than to be like Hull?

I dunno

I only see what forums were like when Carlos was breathing his last dying choking breath of failure as our first team all disappeared on us and wonder what it would be like if we did get promoted but then struggled, got thumped every week, and then got relegated back down

We've been there. It led to dark dark times and near closure of the whole football club.

I want to be in the premier league though so.....

lol

Owlstalk Shop

My view on this is a little different. I don’t think with promotion you should go and spend £200m trying to stay there. I would like to see the club invest some money wisely in the squad but ensure that a massive chunk of it is retained to pay for some of the work required to secure the long term future of the club. If used wisely, one season’s Prem money can go a long way to good training facilities and investing in some serious stadium development.

Theres always a chance you may stay up but even if you come straight back down, you’ve then got the parachute payments to fund another 3 tilts at promotion rather than funding a relegated PL squad.

• Like 2

If we went up stayed there for the majority of the next 20 years with one or two relegations and instant promotions thrown in built a new 48-50 thousand stadium in which we averaged 35-40 thousand didn't spend extravagant money you'd think we'd be fine then you look at Sunderland and it makes you wonder if it's worth it. Don't get me wrong I'd like the chance the fact I want us to win every game means by default I want to go up but it seems you not only need to be a big club with a large loyal fan base and a wealthy owner which we have to get established and survive any setbacks you need a great plan and be sold to a multi billionaire who knows what he's doing and isn't bothered about losing money 

The Hull situation was a bit weird.  It was claimed that the club owner (mr allam) made a huge chunk for going up, very little of which he reinvested, followed by another huge chunk when they came back down with a similar lack of investment from the owner..Several hull supporting acquaintances of mine are of the opinion that he made more money, far quicker; than he would with sufficient investment to keep the club in the premier.

Hudders are doing alright arent they, just when you think theyve just about done and they bounce back with 2 wins on the spin.

even if they go down they can hold there head up high, 

i dont think staying up is as hard as it was 10/15 years ago, 1 or 2 of the promoted clubs used to look like certs to go back down by october, nowadays it seems it can be done, burnley/bournemouth. 

Even Hull probably should have stayed up last year, yet they was a mess internally, i seem to remember is it marco silva? got them going, especially at home.

this season i think Brighton will survive. possibly all three?

my 3 for relegation, west brom, swansea and.... errrr Newcastle

Edited by GY-owl.4

6 minutes ago, Anlaby Owl said:

The Hull situation was a bit weird.  It was claimed that the club owner (mr allam) made a huge chunk for going up, very little of which he reinvested, followed by another huge chunk when they came back down with a similar lack of investment from the owner..Several hull supporting acquaintances of mine are of the opinion that he made more money, far quicker; than he would with sufficient investment to keep the club in the premier.

To be fair If I bought a Championship club that would be my intention - to get promoted and make massive prrrrrrofits

Owlstalk Shop

Burnley should be the model for a club like us. They went up against the odds in 2014 and gave it a damn good go. They just didn't quite have enough to survive but kept 90% of the squad together, kept a clearly talented manager and added one or two key players (Andre Gray for £8M I think it was) and invested in the facilities at the club. The following year they won the league and returned to the Premier League and have never looked back.

9 minutes ago, jamiejohn said:

If we went up stayed there for the majority of the next 20 years with one or two relegations and instant promotions thrown in built a new 48-50 thousand stadium in which we averaged 35-40 thousand didn't spend extravagant money you'd think we'd be fine then you look at Sunderland and it makes you wonder if it's worth it. Don't get me wrong I'd like the chance the fact I want us to win every game means by default I want to go up but it seems you not only need to be a big club with a large loyal fan base and a wealthy owner which we have to get established and survive any setbacks you need a great plan and be sold to a multi billionaire who knows what he's doing and isn't bothered about losing money 

Yeah totally

The Sunderland fans must be hating life right now

Even more worrying for them is what's to come

Owlstalk Shop

4 minutes ago, @owlstalk said:

To be fair If I bought a Championship club that would be my intention - to get promoted and make massive prrrrrrofits

If true, its total and utter disrespect for the fans who paid their entrance fees, when the clubs owner was engineering a season of failure right from the first kick of the season.

1 minute ago, Anlaby Owl said:

If true, its total and utter disrespect for the fans who paid their entrance fees, when the clubs owner was engineering a season of failure right from the first kick of the season.

But since when did chairmen run clubs for the good of the fans?

Football is massive money and if there's no emotional ties (e.g if the chairman isn't a lifelong supporter of the club or emotionally attached) then it's safe to assume that the reason they bought a club is to make massive prrrrrofits and then leave the next guy to do the exact same thing

I wonder how many chairmen in football right now (in the Premier and Championship) are in it for the love of the game, for the love and interest of the fans and for the long run.

It'd be interesting to try and work that out - I bet the %'s would be real low

Owlstalk Shop