DISGRACEFUL

1 minute ago, bigthinrob said:

Stop talking cr*p and take the emotion out of it.

He's made a decision as to the strategy he wants to go with from the position we were in when he took over. It is a business decision purely & simply and to be honest in respect of numbers turning up week on week it has paid off. As I said earlier God help us if we'd have relied on the potg ers now no ones interested in going.

Yeah it's been divisive, but by using the term "ripping off", you make it sound like he's pocketing cash for his own benefit when he's clearly in a huge 'debit' position.

I would love to hear yours & others business plans that showed the world what your idea of "running the business properly" entails.

Maybe charging a tenner a game and getting 150,000 through the gates?

The accounts that have to be filed by tomorrow will tell you who is talking crap...

If the business plan for SWFC is tumbling ever futher into debt whilst ripping of the customers then its going great.

Rich kid...no clue.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

5 minutes ago, bigthinrob said:

Have we not moved on in other ways?

The whole infrastructure is undergoing a whole turn around and if people thought that turning an oil tanker like Wednesday round would only take a couple of years, they were either very ambitious or slightly stupid.

I would say, considering what DC inherited it has been a success, but I don't judge the whole long term project on half a season that has gone a bit pear shaped like some people.

No doubt Andy, if things turn around next season, the people saying DC hasn't a clue and is equivalent to some sort of robber baron will be congratulating themselves that is was their 'doubts & extreme criticism' that was responsible for giving him a kick up the ar*e and any resulting turnaround in fortunes. 

In what "other" ways have we moved on Rob.....?

Honestly ...I'm no negative anti Chansiri bloke....I have already bought me season ticket for next year...no matter which league....

But you can't tell me the last 3 seasons haven't been sold to us on the promise of the Prem...

I didn't fall for that..I could understand why they sold it as such..But I would get one anyway...If affordable..whatever f.ookin' division.

The only thing I have seen come out of this season...is Sean Clare....and thats happened by absolute f.ookin' accident hasn't it?..Maybe Jos..but I doubt he really has had time.

If it was just "Half a season that has gone pear shaped"..Why has Carvahal gone?..pressure from the fans?..Honestly..are we gonna get the blame for everything?

You have a manager that got us close 2 times out of three...Why change that?

How close have we come in the nigh on 2 decades previous?....

Why change that?

We up the prices..until this year...When we have to freeze them..Why?..cos we f.ooked up...Mr Chansiri got it wrong didn't he?

WE all get stuff wrong....

If..next season we get it spot on....I will hold my hand up..Cos all I want is Wednesday to get back in the big time...It would bother me not one iota if I was lambasted about previous posts...using hindsight or whateverthef.ook..Cos I would be happy as Larry....

I don;t think my opinion matters to DC...and in no way would I try to take credit if he gets it right next year...I would simply think...

"Fair enough..he got it right..4th time"

I also deny any responsibility for spaffing 10 million on Jordan Rhodes...............

1 hour ago, g-owls said:

I'll stick with what I originally said. Disgraceful. Our prices are an utter joke. 

Not everyone can buy a season ticket for a variety of reasons. The Membership scheme costs £50 to get a £5 discount on tickets.

What about the fans who, again through a variety of reasons can only make four or five games? They aren't less of a supporter - They are the supporters that the club should be appealing to, the people who would love to go more. 

If it wasn't for my dad I wouldn't have ended up supporting Wednesday. He took me to my first game and I'm hoping that in a few years he'll be with me to take my daughter to her first game.

He fancied the Villa game - That was until he saw the price.

We may well have record numbers in terms of season ticket holders, but that won't continue unless we're at the top end of the table.

The owner is to blame. Millions invested and ultimately wasted on bang average footballers, some of whom are tied down to long deals.

Money doesn't buy success, Yes it helps, but only if spent wisely.

Neil Warnock performed a miracle at Rotherham on nothing, now he could get Cardiff promoted spending £6M.

Finally. Going back to prices at Forest. They are the same next season as what they are now. They've brought in Tomlin, Colback, Watson, Guedioura, Lolley and Pantillimon during January. We bought an unproven from the Dutch league. They have a manager who's already taken a team into the Premier League, who's to say he won't do it again in the next couple of years once he's shaped his team?

So yes, I'd say they are relevant. 40 miles apart with a similar hardcore fanbase. That is the whole point of the thread in the first place. A football fan in Sheffield shouldn't have to pay (in some cases) £200 more to watch the same 23 teams play as what a Forest fan does.

Don't agree one iota.

It is the 21,000 season ticket holders that have kept our heads above water this year as things have fallen away.

It has been proven time & again that they are the ones that will continue to put their money where their mouths are regardless of what's on offer on the pitch. 

I would also say that they seem to be more realistic as to the peaks & troughs & the fluctuation in fortunes and appreciate that what may be the case now, won't necessarily be the case in 6 months.

It is the 'casual' supporter who picks his games who will inevitably be put off when things aren't going as well as has been seen recently. (regardless of prices).

Dc obviously knows this, which is why he has gone all out for the up front market, probably knowing full well what the reaction would be from the relatively small (in comparison) POTG market.

Ps I think some of the points you make, 95% of which are made with the benefit of hindsight pretty much sum up the 'wise after the event' mentality in football nowadays.

You talk as if running & managing a football club is an exact science, & that there is a set & correct way in which it should be done & that in turn will guarantee success. 

History tells us different, and i always find it amazing that people like you always know how it should be done AFTER THE EVENT.

15 minutes ago, kobayashi said:

The accounts that have to be filed by tomorrow will tell you who is talking crap...

If the business plan for SWFC is tumbling ever futher into debt whilst ripping of the customers then its going great.

Rich kid...no clue.

What have the accounts got to do with your description of "ripping off" the fans?

As for 'Rich Kid' no clue, not sure why the abuse aimed at the Chairman of our club.

Is the "Rich" bit a throwback to the old 'class war' ethos here?

Maybe you'd prefer some down at heel no mark who hasn't got a penny to scratch his ar*e with but who pays lip service to the fans as being one of them. 

Think we've been there, selling Whelan & the like for the price of a packet of fags..  Ah the good old days.

10 minutes ago, bigthinrob said:

What have the accounts got to do with your description of "ripping off" the fans?

As for 'Rich Kid' no clue, not sure why the abuse aimed at the Chairman of our club.

Is the "Rich" bit a throwback to the old 'class war' ethos here?

Maybe you'd prefer some down at heel no mark who hasn't got a penny to scratch his ar*e with but who pays lip service to the fans as being one of them. 

Think we've been there, selling Whelan & the like for the price of a packet of fags..  Ah the good old days.

Yes, if the down at heel no mark was capable of running the club without ripping of the fans whilst playing lip service to "a family".

13 minutes ago, bigthinrob said:

Don't agree one iota.

It is the 21,000 season ticket holders that have kept our heads above water this year as things have fallen away.

It has been proven time & again that they are the ones that will continue to put their money where their mouths are regardless of what's on offer on the pitch. 

I would also say that they seem to be more realistic as to the peaks & troughs & the fluctuation in fortunes and appreciate that what may be the case now, won't necessarily be the case in 6 months.

It is the 'casual' supporter who picks his games who will inevitably be put off when things aren't going as well as has been seen recently. (regardless of prices).

Dc obviously knows this, which is why he has gone all out for the up front market, probably knowing full well what the reaction would be from the relatively small (in comparison) POTG market.

Ps I think some of the points you make, 95% of which are made with the benefit of hindsight pretty much sum up the 'wise after the event' mentality in football nowadays.

You talk as if running & managing a football club is an exact science, & that there is a set & correct way in which it should be done & that in turn will guarantee success. 

History tells us different, and i always find it amazing that people like you always know how it should be done AFTER THE EVENT.

I dunno how many times this has to be said Rob

Some folk can't afford to ante up nigh on £500 at one time..Now if you can..and I have been lucky enough to..Its f.ookin' Dandy isn't it?

I can remember when I used to go in for the last 20 minutes..cos I had no bloody money..My choice..fair enough..no worries...

But I will tell you something..and please correct me if its "teaching your grannie to suck eggs"

But there is nothing worse ..in sport , than not being able to watch your football team..Ive been there...

In an odd sort of way , you feel excluded...There are probably posters on here that would love to express an opinion..but daren't ..Why?

Cos some truefan f.ooker will simply ask

"Did you go then../?

These fans are being left behind in  this "Devil take the hindmost" "Pay this much " ...fookwhittery

Mr Chansiri says..."We are The Wednesday family"..Its a total load of bllx...Cos If we were owt like a family we would lok after the weakest member of "That Family"..we don't..

When I saw this seasons prices for season tickets?..I simply thought..."Thank f.ook ..I can run to that"

If I couldn't..I would pick me games..Pay on the gate..at what are ridiculous prices..Then in time..I would think .."F.ook that" .and I hardly blame any bugger that does...

Here we sit 7 points offa a drop into oblivion..and you know what?

If it was a choice between having to Watch Wednesday in the f.ookin' mess that is league 1..and it being affordable?

and the choice of following likje a fookwit on the internet as we march up the Prem?

I would take the former...

I understand what  a "Wednesday family"..is....and its f.ook all like its masquerading as at the minute mate....Theres folk who can't afford it....

We have thousands of empty seats at home games...cos some of the "Family " can't afford to tip up..cos some of the "Family" have said "F.ook this for a game of dominos"

Does the head of the Family do owt about this ..course he doesn,t...cos he he doesn't understand it

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, bigthinrob said:

The Chairman seems to think that just chucking millions into the fire is the way to go. He’s trying to justify high prices as being key to the strategy of getting promoted.

He’s been badly advised and led down the garden path by some scrupulous characters and he’s expected us to keep on forking out.

The fans haven’t created the problems. Whether it be someone who goes home and away or the ‘floating fan’ each is vital to the club, either by making sure that prices remain within affordable costs or looking at strategies to attract more new faces into the ground.

Next season we won’t have as many season ticket holders - The sudden uptake came about after the Play Off final season and the subsequent play off push the following year.

The third season arrives and people are still optimistic, they pay a bit more again and back the team. The season doesn’t go to plan but prices increase once more.

It will put some off and the POTG prices will turn them away. Once they’ve got out of the habit of going they’re going to be very difficult to get back.

Who have we signed this season? How much have we spent? The club is running out of fit players yet all we can manage to bring in during January is a young Dutch lad.

Why is that? Have we spent so much in the previous two that we’re now on the brink of breaching the regulations? 

If that’s the case then his plan has failed - A plan that involved spending a fortune without much thought as to what would happen had it not worked.

It hasn’t worked because it’s very foundations were built on sand and the input of Doyen Sports.

1 hour ago, Mr Farrell said:

Sad but true.

1 hour ago, kobayashi said:

Every club that has ever been promoted from the second tier to the highest tier has done so whilst charging lower ticket prices than Wednesday. The prices are high because the one thing the owner has worked out is that its easier to rip the fans off than run the business properly.

What a f.ookin'trick we missed!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

WE should have paid half what we have been payin' ..and gone up..

I mean call it "Hindsight"..but Crikey!!!!!!!!!!

Edited by asteener1867
  • Haha 1

12 minutes ago, asteener1867 said:

I dunno how many times this has to be said Rob

Some folk can't afford to ante up nigh on £500 at one time..Now if you can..and I have been lucky enough to..Its f.ookin' Dandy isn't it?

I can remember when I used to go in for the last 20 minutes..cos I had no bloody money..My choice..fair enough..no worries...

But I will tell you something..and please correct me if its "teaching your grannie to suck eggs"

But there is nothing worse ..in sport , than not being able to watch your football team..Ive been there...

In an odd sort of way , you feel excluded...There are probably posters on here that would love to express an opinion..but daren't ..Why?

Cos some truefan f.ooker will simply ask

"Did you go then../?

These fans are being left behind in  this "Devil take the hindmost" "Pay this much " ...fookwhittery

Mr Chansiri says..."We are The Wednesday family"..Its a total load of bllx...Cos If we were owt like a family we would lok after the weakest member of "That Family"..we don't..

When I saw this seasons prices for season tickets?..I simply thought..."Thank f.ook ..I can run to that"

If I couldn't..I would pick me games..Pay on the gate..at what are ridiculous prices..Then in time..I would think .."F.ook that" .and I hardly blame any bugger that does...

Here we sit 7 points offa a drop into oblivion..and you know what?

If it was a choice between having to Watch Wednesday in the f.ookin' mess that is league 1..and it being affordable?

and the choice of following likje a fookwit on the internet as we march up the Prem?

I would take the former...

I understand what  a "Wednesday family"..is....and its f.ook all like its masquerading as at the minute mate....Theres folk who can't afford it....

We have thousands of empty seats at home games...cos some of the "Family " can't afford to tip up..cos some of the "Family" have said "F.ook this for a game of dominos"

Does the head of the Family do owt about this ..course he doesn,t...cos he he doesn't understand it

I wasn't discussing the moral points of the 'price' argument, that's been well documented time & again.

I was purely responding to someone calling it "disgraceful" & another saying our Chairman is "Ripping off" the fans as if he's pocketing the money himself.

I maintain it is a business decision (regardless of the 'moral' arguments) and that he decided at the outset to go for the season ticket market even if it meant alienating a section of the support.

It was always going to be a difficult balancing act, between making the differential between POTG & season tickets sufficiently attractive to stimulate the necessary take up of season tickets. Otherwise it would be the worst of both worlds.

I can see the arguments (although I have to say I think sometimes they get overstated), but from a purely BUSINESS point of view (and again I understand it is an emotive subject), it has been proved to have worked and without the extra take up of season tickets which the price differential has stimulated, we would have seen crowds decimated, once the writing was on the wall this year.

Whatever the arguments and whatever the emotion, the idea that attending football is a 'right' no longer exists.

It pretty much sits alongside most other high price forms of entertainment and regardless of what 'other' clubs currently charge, for right or wrong it will only go one way.  

2 minutes ago, bigthinrob said:

I wasn't discussing the moral points of the 'price' argument, that's been well documented time & again.

I was purely responding to someone calling it "disgraceful" & another saying our Chairman is "Ripping off" the fans as if he's pocketing the money himself.

I maintain it is a business decision (regardless of the 'moral' arguments) and that he decided at the outset to go for the season ticket market even if it meant alienating a section of the support.

It was always going to be a difficult balancing act, between making the differential between POTG & season tickets sufficiently attractive to stimulate the necessary take up of season tickets. Otherwise it would be the worst of both worlds.

I can see the arguments (although I have to say I think sometimes they get overstated), but from a purely BUSINESS point of view (and again I understand it is an emotive subject), it has been proved to have worked and without the extra take up of season tickets which the price differential has stimulated, we would have seen crowds decimated, once the writing was on the wall this year.

Whatever the arguments and whatever the emotion, the idea that attending football is a 'right' no longer exists.

It pretty much sits alongside most other high price forms of entertainment and regardless of what 'other' clubs currently charge, for right or wrong it will only go one way.  

Who said "He was pocketing it himself"?

I see that as ridiculous..fair enough....

And its fair enough to ignore the "Moral" aspect of it...

But still it stands..For Wednesday fans...

You see it as "Entertainment"?..I doubt many Owls would agree .....

I see it as a "Civic duty"..like goin' to vote./..or having me bins emptied.......Its ingrained in the make up of a Sheffield Wednesday fan..

Its fair enough Rob, folk like you treating it  like a trip to Aldi..If thats how you see it..fair enough...I see it differently..doesn't make you right...doesn't make me wrong

I'm not asking for attendance as a "Right"..I'm simply asking for it as an affordable choice...

Its not anymore.....

Sheffield Wednesday ..to me..are an institution....I might be wrong in thinking like that..but its simply how I see it....its something passed down to you from your forebears...Its not simply sport..If it was simply an aesthetic exercise..I';d drive the 40 miles to Old trafford..or this season.... the 4 miles to Bramall lane

Its beyond that isn't it....?

If you think not....I honestly doubt you understand Sheffield Wednesday and Sheffield Wednesday fans..It might not be a "Right"..but once we accept that..We dilute what we actually are...don't we?

2 hours ago, Justbeanz said:

Which may be the case but the dynamic of the fan base is changing. My reply was to a post which said the average fan will soon be priced out and l believe that to be correct. By average fan l mean the pay on the gate fan. I do think season tickets are reasonably priced.

All this talk of averages and means. The average fan overwhelmingly does not attend matches, see our turn outs for our two most recent  play off finals.

So after the non attenders. Of those who go 80% are season ticket holders. Two to Four thousand are POTD. Work to be done on the average fan, I don't know who the average fan but it's not the POTD fan. 

1 minute ago, asteener1867 said:

Who said "He was pocketing it himself"?

I see that as ridiculous..fair enough....

And its fair enough to ignore the "Moral" aspect of it...

But still it stands..For Wednesday fans...

You see it as "Entertainment"?..I doubt many Owls would agree .....

I see it as a "Civic duty"..like goin' to vote./..or having me bins emptied.......Its ingrained in the make up of a Sheffield Wednesday fan..

Its fair enough Rob, folk like you treating it  like a trip to Aldi..If thats how you see it..fair enough...I see it differently..doesn't make you right...doesn't make me wrong

I'm not asking for attendance as a "Right"..I'm simply asking for it as an affordable choice...

Its not anymore.....

Sheffield Wednesday ..to me..are an institution....I might be wrong in thinking like that..but its simply how I see it....its something passed down to you from your forebears...Its not simply sport..If it was simply an aesthetic exercise..I';d drive the 40 miles to Old trafford..or this season.... the 4 miles to Bramall lane

Its beyond that isn't it....?

If you think not....I honestly doubt you understand Sheffield Wednesday and Sheffield Wednesday fans..It might not be a "Right"..but once we accept that..We dilute what we actually are...don't we?

Whoa mate.

Don't put words in my mouth.

I was saying football is seen & can be classed as 'Entertainment' not that I see it that way.

As for a trip to 'Aldi', lets not get abusive mate.

I've going since Alan Finney played, I've done time for things i've done at matches, so don't class me as some sort of casual observer.

For you it might be an 'institution', for me its been life & death for more years than I can remember.

Leave it at that I think!!

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, nevthelodgemoorowl said:

All this talk of averages and means. The average fan overwhelmingly does not attend matches, see our turn outs for our two most recent  play off finals.

So after the non attenders. Of those who go 80% are season ticket holders. Two to Four thousand are POTD. Work to be done on the average fan, I don't know who the average fan but it's not the POTD fan. 

You've answered your own question and bamboozled your self in a single post here.

There's season ticket holders.

There's walk up.

There's people who like a big game.

That's it as far as I can see.

FFSlol

Just now, bigthinrob said:

Whoa mate.

Don't put words in my mouth.

I was saying football is seen & can be classed as 'Entertainment' not that I see it that way.

As for a trip to 'Aldi', lets not get abusive mate.

I've going since Alan Finney played, I've done time for things i've done at matches, so don't class me as some sort of casual observer.

For you it might be an 'institution', for me its been life & death for more years than I can remember.

Leave it at that I think!!

I apologise mate...I was simply arguing it as I saw it

But if you can't see where I am am coming from..we will have to agree to disagree...

It hasn't been life or death for me..Cos that was simply Shankly chattin' sh *t....

Its nowt to do with bloody death...Its All to do with life as you live it.

I don't see where I classed you as a "Casual observer"..You will have to point that f.ookin' bit out

Was it when you mentioned "Business"?

As for "Doing time" for things you have done at matches.....?

Is that really a plus point?

8 minutes ago, Costello 77 said:

You've answered your own question and bamboozled your self in a single post here.

There's season ticket holders.

There's walk up.

There's people who like a big game.

That's it as far as I can see.

FFSlol

Costello I was answering a postulation by SOE attacking the proposition that our average fan was Pay On The Day. No need to apologise mate lol  

1 minute ago, nevthelodgemoorowl said:

Costello I was answering a postulation by SOE attacking the proposition that our average fan was Pay On The Day. No need to apologise mate lol  

You admitted that you don't know what an average fan is...

So I'll hold back on the apology until more information comes to light Nev.

FFS:tango:

3 minutes ago, nevthelodgemoorowl said:

Think we're splitting hairs here over the phrase average fan. I'm using the phrase in the context that l am a season ticket holder and attend most home games. My son and wife are not season ticket holders but do like to attend the odd big game over a season which in my eyes makes them " average fans". It is these average fans that are being priced out of the game in my opinion.