DISGRACEFUL

2 minutes ago, asteener1867 said:

One BAD season could well undo all the good he has done at the club...because his phlosophy is based as much on his money as ours....

Lets see what happens if God forbid, we drop...Profit and sustainability?..Who is gonna pay £40 on the gate in League 1?

It is rather disconcerting how things have unravelled so quickly.

Suppose the real test in football is when things aren't going so well - and we haven't dealt with it very well have we.

As for League One...really not worth thinking about.

Edited by SiJ

I'll stick with what I originally said. Disgraceful. Our prices are an utter joke. 

Not everyone can buy a season ticket for a variety of reasons. The Membership scheme costs £50 to get a £5 discount on tickets.

What about the fans who, again through a variety of reasons can only make four or five games? They aren't less of a supporter - They are the supporters that the club should be appealing to, the people who would love to go more. 

If it wasn't for my dad I wouldn't have ended up supporting Wednesday. He took me to my first game and I'm hoping that in a few years he'll be with me to take my daughter to her first game.

He fancied the Villa game - That was until he saw the price.

We may well have record numbers in terms of season ticket holders, but that won't continue unless we're at the top end of the table.

The owner is to blame. Millions invested and ultimately wasted on bang average footballers, some of whom are tied down to long deals.

Money doesn't buy success, Yes it helps, but only if spent wisely.

Neil Warnock performed a miracle at Rotherham on nothing, now he could get Cardiff promoted spending £6M.

Finally. Going back to prices at Forest. They are the same next season as what they are now. They've brought in Tomlin, Colback, Watson, Guedioura, Lolley and Pantillimon during January. We bought an unproven from the Dutch league. They have a manager who's already taken a team into the Premier League, who's to say he won't do it again in the next couple of years once he's shaped his team?

So yes, I'd say they are relevant. 40 miles apart with a similar hardcore fanbase. That is the whole point of the thread in the first place. A football fan in Sheffield shouldn't have to pay (in some cases) £200 more to watch the same 23 teams play as what a Forest fan does.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Mr Farrell said:

Talk us through how the high prices this season led to us succeeding ?

Telling people not to go, or simply shut up may wash in North Korea. It won't on a diverse forum like Owlstalk.

Is a pricing structure a guarantee of short term success or a long term strategy?

Its like judging the results of a season on one seasons investment.

If we’re going to use the ‘judging’ argument, then you have to say 2 seasons out of his 3 have been a success.

By by the same token, if we get promoted next year or the year after, or whenever, then his strategy will have been proved to have been a success. 

You cannot isolate individual seasons to promote a certain viewpoint.

Wonder if all 3 seasons had been an unmitigated disaster but the prices had been cheap, everyone would have been accepting of the situation because of lack of investment.

Yeah course they would.

Remember the growing unrest aimed at Mandaric when it was becoming clear he wasn’t going to put money in.

Football fans want it all ways and they’re never satisfied whatever the scenario.

3 minutes ago, bigthinrob said:

Is a pricing structure a guarantee of short term success or a long term strategy?

Its like judging the results of a season on one seasons investment.

If we’re going to use the ‘judging’ argument, then you have to say 2 seasons out of his 3 have been a success.

By by the same token, if we get promoted next year or the year after, or whenever, then his strategy will have been proved to have been a success. 

You cannot isolate individual seasons to promote a certain viewpoint.

Wonder if all 3 seasons had been an unmitigated disaster but the prices had been cheap, everyone would have been accepting of the situation because of lack of investment.

Yeah course they would.

Remember the growing unrest aimed at Mandaric when it was becoming clear he wasn’t going to put money in.

Football fans want it all ways and they’re never satisfied whatever the scenario.

If you are using that criteria Rob..You also have to quantify Success don't you....?

And is Success simply staying where we were?

Edited by asteener1867

1 minute ago, markowl said:

Plus.

After the play off final all the talk was how proud people were of the achievement.

Eighteen months later it was an embarrassing surrender.

Isn't hindsight a wonderful thing?

Very true.

We've got some proper hindsight merchants. 

They knew it would all go t1ts up etc. 

Guest Bulgaria
6 minutes ago, SiJ said:

Very true.

We've got some proper hindsight merchants. 

They knew it would all go t1ts up etc. 

But is has though.

3 minutes ago, markowl said:

Plus.

After the play off final all the talk was how proud people were of the achievement.

Eighteen months later it was an embarrassing surrender.

Isn't hindsight a wonderful thing?

I have never decried the first 2 seasons...I was in the Carlos in camp to the end BECAUSE of those first 2 seasons...but be honest about where we are now...

WE have gone backwards..you don't need hindsight to see that..just plain simple f.ookin' .......sight.

I have no idea about all this supposed "Training, lack of fitness..whatever he f.ook" regarding Carlos...I leave that to blokes who know blokes who knew a bloke that workede at the club..(and NO SIJ I don't mean you....)

Unsubstantiated gossip..

What is actually quite stark though..Is DC has been rather misguided in the recruitment department...I didn't want Jordan Rhodes...I thought 10 mill was ridiculous..So it seems to have proved...Not Jordan Rhodes fault....I hope he finds his scoring boots...

Then we get the intimation from the Chairman that they bought Rhodes , because of pressure from the fans...Thats when I first started wondering..because the last bloke I would take advice from regarding buying a footballer...is ME!

I was never particularly proud of losing to Hull in the play off final...I couldn't understand the singing and dancing outside Wembley after the game....big chance missed..Though I thoroughly enjoyed the journey towards it.

People are trying way too hard to justify high ticket prices with some weak (to the point of being non-existent) correlation between ticket prices and success in this league. As I'm sure we all remember, Huddersfield beat us to promotion last season while charging £200 for a season ticket and getting much lower gates than us. Cardiff are looking very good to go up automatically this season while charging £250 and also getting significantly lower gates. Yep, I'm cherry picking at isolated examples, but whether you look at this season or last year when results were better for us, there were still clubs who did considerably better than us while not ripping off their fans in the process. Maybe it's hard to do what Huddersfield and Cardiff are doing, but why can't we aspire to be one of those clubs who spends prudently and achieves success through all pulling in the same direction? 

We've had our go at being a Wolves, Leicester or Brighton by chucking big money about in the name of promotion, it hasn't worked, and I don't see it getting any better over the next few years because we simply aren't as well managed - money alone doesn't talk, just ask Birmingham fans. We shouldn't be demanding that fans sit tight and pay the high prices while the owner struggles to get it right - we should be demanding that we're run better, starting now.

16 hours ago, nevthelodgemoorowl said:

The drive to maximise season ticket sales...........And guess what it's working. In a very poor season our fan base continues to grow 

Which may be the case but the dynamic of the fan base is changing. My reply was to a post which said the average fan will soon be priced out and l believe that to be correct. By average fan l mean the pay on the gate fan. I do think season tickets are reasonably priced.

41 minutes ago, asteener1867 said:

If you are using that criteria Rob..You also have to quantify Success don't you....?

And is Success simply staying where we were?

Have we not moved on in other ways?

The whole infrastructure is undergoing a whole turn around and if people thought that turning an oil tanker like Wednesday round would only take a couple of years, they were either very ambitious or slightly stupid.

I would say, considering what DC inherited it has been a success, but I don't judge the whole long term project on half a season that has gone a bit pear shaped like some people.

No doubt Andy, if things turn around next season, the people saying DC hasn't a clue and is equivalent to some sort of robber baron will be congratulating themselves that is was their 'doubts & extreme criticism' that was responsible for giving him a kick up the ar*e and any resulting turnaround in fortunes. 

21 hours ago, g-owls said:

Nottingham Forest have today announced their season ticket prices for next season.

The comparison with ours are shocking. Here's a few examples of Adult prices along with the prices in similar areas at Hillsborough

Trent End and Bridgford Stand Lower £330 -  Kop £455 (£125 more)

Brian Clough Stand £330 -  North Stand £555 (£225 more)

Peter Taylor Stand £435  -  South Stand £640 (£205 more) (South Stand at Hillsborough is far better but not at that price)

As for 18-25's at Hillsborough the cheapest price is on the Kop at £355, the dearest being in the South Stand for £500.

At Forest it's 18-23 - Two years less I hear you say - Indeed so, but an 18-23 year old will pay £100 for a season Ticket at the City Ground in any part of the ground.

Just how much are we being ripped off? It's an absolute joke.

Sadly i cant afford £455 at the moment but I would have stretched myself to get a season ticket if it was £330, very reasonable price.

Every club that has ever been promoted from the second tier to the highest tier has done so whilst charging lower ticket prices than Wednesday. The prices are high because the one thing the owner has worked out is that its easier to rip the fans off than run the business properly.

2 minutes ago, kobayashi said:

Every club that has ever been promoted from the second tier to the highest tier has done so whilst charging lower ticket prices than Wednesday. The prices are high because the one thing the owner has worked out is that its easier to rip the fans off than run the business properly.

Sad but true.

1 minute ago, kobayashi said:

Stop talking cr*p and take the emotion out of it.

He's made a decision as to the strategy he wants to go with from the position we were in when he took over. It is a business decision purely & simply and to be honest in respect of numbers turning up week on week it has paid off. As I said earlier God help us if we'd have relied on the potg ers now no ones interested in going.

Yeah it's been divisive, but by using the term "ripping off", you make it sound like he's pocketing cash for his own benefit when he's clearly in a huge 'debit' position.

I would love to hear yours & others business plans that showed the world what your idea of "running the business properly" entails.

Maybe charging a tenner a game and getting 150,000 through the gates?