Jos Luhukay on George Hirst & Sean Clare

6 minutes ago, oldishowl said:

I think he means Clare is very confident character which no doubt helped him perform when put in the first team . I have been amazed how he has not been overawed at all.

But equally this confidence might mean he doesn’t see things he has to improve.

Confident. That might be the one.

1 hour ago, Olibeak said:

Jos blaming Clare for a goal should not even be an issue for debate on here. It should all have been handled in-house. End of story. Instead, he doesn't just simply make the "shock horror" statement that Clare (aged 21) still has a lot to learn (the same would also appear to apply to players a lot older than him) and leave it at that, but goes on unnecessarily, and at considerable length and in training-ground detail, about what he should have done to prevent the goal. Looking at Clare in interviews and at his general intelligent play on the pitch, he seems like a bright, grounded lad who would know full well and be angry that he'd been cleverly blindsided -- by a highly experienced player (aged 34) with 500-plus games (mostly in the Prem) and 80-plus international caps for Eire. Yes, he's undoubtedly got a lot to learn (who hasn't?), and i'm sure he'd recognise that, but he doesn't need to be given lessons in public.  (We've all dropped round uns at work -- imagine what our reactions would be if the boss decided to tell the media about them!). Any sportsperson would tell you that one of the keys to high performance is confidence. This will have done nothing for Clare's confidence -- especially the gibberish bit about "sometimes when you are too positive as a player you miss how you can improve". Hope there's not a contract-related hidden agenda in Jos's extravagant public criticism -- and that it doesn't lead to us losing a promising talent. Looks to me like Jos (aged 54) also still has a lot to learn.

Agree totally with you.

Also I remember the lad dispossessing Villa players a number of times.

Don't tell me about lack of marking ... he's picked that up from the senior pros. here.

Best young lad I've seen since ... well I can't remember anyone better in first 2 games.

What was spooky was that when Jos was talking about Clare he showed his teeth for

the first time since he has been in the UK ... sort of an ironic smile/old soldier routine/ young lad knows nowt/grimace

with a slight movement North of his bristly upper lip.

Not my cup of tea at all berating the best prospect we have had for yonks in public.

Won't surprise me at all if he gets an offer and signs elsewhere.

Sorry I do not like this bloke or his team selection or is use or non use of subs at all.

Unbelievably his press interviews are worse than CC's became.

Edited by Davetherave

Guest Xxxxxxxxcxcc
1 minute ago, Davetherave said:

Agree totally with you.

Don't tell me about lack of marking ... he's picked that up from the senior pros. here.

Best young lad I've seen since ... well I can't remember anyone better in first 2 games.

What was spooky was that when Jos was talking about Clare he showed his teeth for

the first time he has been in the UK ... sort of an ironic smile/old soldier routine/ young lad knows nowt/grimace

Not my cup of tea at all berating the best prospect we have had for yonks in public.

Sorry I do not like this bloke or his team selection or is use or non use of subs at all.

Not even close to berating anyway for months people have been saying that young George is our best prospect for yonks.

Think he was pointing out not finished aarticle yet on Clare and basically 85 minutes is difficult tojude anybody on. It clearly is a delicate situation and why journalist should press on issue as very little time has elapsed since they played games and unlikely to have changed. In comments on Clare several pointed out the defensive side of his game needs to improve buthe is clearly a talent and offers something different to standard midfielder mould (no pace, safe square passer, lie deep and try and hit wonder pass) we repeatedly brought in last 2 years. The situation is substantially different now in both Hirst and Clare situations and they have now been given chance to prove they are first team squad players.

8 hours ago, WalthamOwl said:

Bit harsh on Clare. Not heard Jos call out a player for conceding a goal before. I would say there are many other players that could be blamed in recent weeks rather than Clare.

I love it. Genuinely think we've got a top manager. Just need to secure the 2 or 3 more wins required to secure our status and I'm very confident we will be back challenging in the play offs again next season. 

8 hours ago, Bluesteel said:

Given how Clare bigs himself up on Twitter with his hashtag JL probably thinks he needs to stay grounded, which he does. He doesn’t sound committed to staying yet with his “I’ll leave my contract with my agent” spiel and the self promotion. He’s only played a handful of games and he’s all Jesse Lingard.

Hope he stays as he looks like he could be a big player for us, but it’s an interesting way for a young player to come across.

I don't think it's him, but society in general.

Looks a talent, brimming with confidence, and whilst mikes away from him in achievement, hasn't that diver from Spurs always been like that.

Just now, Sergeant Tibbs said:

I don't think it's him, but society in general.

Looks a talent, brimming with confidence, and whilst mikes away from him in achievement, hasn't that diver from Spurs always been like that.

Yes, It’s a bit of a trend and it makes me feel old in my early 30s!

19 minutes ago, jomaco said:

Jos meant no harm, perhaps he didn't put it across as he meant to, but from his point of view, everyone is going crazy about Clare's performance - and he looks good no doubt - he just wants him to keep his feet on the ground, that's it. 

Couldn’t agree more. JL was simply keeping him grounded and a level perspective on things. Anyone who thinks otherwise is just stirring it.

2 hours ago, Davetherave said:

Agree totally with you.

the first time since he has been in the UK ... sort of an ironic smile/old soldier routine/ young lad knows nowt/grimace

If the lad leaves it won't because of Jos. The new manager, honest and deliberate in everything he says, gave Clare his chance. Clare has rightly seized it with both feet.

The club need to recognise the opportunity they have here, instead of wasting thousands on aging players looking for their last payday, build a team around this lad, Fred, Reach and either of the two young keepers.

I suspect the Hirst saga will end badly, but lessons can be learnt.

Edited by Sergeant Tibbs
  • Like 1

Personally think Jos is trying to point out not only to the player himself, but the press and public that the lad, good as he is, is still not the complete player.

I think we have all become so immersed in the GH saga, that we have failed to consider that NONE of our young players are proved at Championship level. 

Jos is a proper manager who handles the questioners and questions expertly. Given the way he responded to Staton on,player injuries during the last interview, Staton completely changed his tact this time. Jos made it clear he wanted to speak about the positive and the players who were fit, not the players who are absent. This PC was much more about that.

I thought his comments about Clare, in response to the question asked, were spot on. Balanced, objective but most of all true. Every word he spoke will have been said to Clare beforehand. Equally, he batted off the Hirst questions, given he is one week back into the fold. When he’s fit and playing in the first XI, ask again.

i think he is going to be a very astute signing.

• Like 1