Jos Luhukay on George Hirst & Sean Clare

50 minutes ago, SiJ said:

Hertha are based in a capital city and play in front of 50,000 fans on average.

Sheffield Wednesday play in front of a half empty stadium with a band parping in the background.

Perhaps in the 90s we could argue some sort of parity, but for the last decade plus we've been a yo-yo team between League One and the Championship.

As for the media scrutiny:

Perhaps - but how do you know? Someone who watches Bundesliga on a regular basis might be able to offer a comparison in terms of media coverage.

At the end of the day, we are in the Championship, so the most scrutiny Jos will have to deal with (on a regular basis) is The Dom, Staton/Giddings and some bloke from the Yorkshire Post.

It's not the Premier League.

It's not the Premier League. No it's the Third or Fourth  most popular League in the world. 

I think the Clare comment is aimed at helping the lad stay grounded and also at the fans so they realise he is young, makes mistakes and will have ups and downs.

As far as actually saying it, it ain’t a problem as long as he has already said it to Clare in the dressing room.

He'll have worked with Clare long enough now to have worked out how to treat him. Some players need an arm around them. Some players need a rocket up their arse. Some players need reminding not to get carried away.

It's just nice to hear a manager talk openly about players rather than CC's "ask questions of me, not the players."

Jos blaming Clare for a goal should not even be an issue for debate on here. It should all have been handled in-house. End of story. Instead, he doesn't just simply make the "shock horror" statement that Clare (aged 21) still has a lot to learn (the same would also appear to apply to players a lot older than him) and leave it at that, but goes on unnecessarily, and at considerable length and in training-ground detail, about what he should have done to prevent the goal. Looking at Clare in interviews and at his general intelligent play on the pitch, he seems like a bright, grounded lad who would know full well and be angry that he'd been cleverly blindsided -- by a highly experienced player (aged 34) with 500-plus games (mostly in the Prem) and 80-plus international caps for Eire. Yes, he's undoubtedly got a lot to learn (who hasn't?), and i'm sure he'd recognise that, but he doesn't need to be given lessons in public.  (We've all dropped round uns at work -- imagine what our reactions would be if the boss decided to tell the media about them!). Any sportsperson would tell you that one of the keys to high performance is confidence. This will have done nothing for Clare's confidence -- especially the gibberish bit about "sometimes when you are too positive as a player you miss how you can improve". Hope there's not a contract-related hidden agenda in Jos's extravagant public criticism -- and that it doesn't lead to us losing a promising talent. Looks to me like Jos (aged 54) also still has a lot to learn.

1 minute ago, Olibeak said:

Jos blaming Clare for a goal should not even be an issue for debate on here. It should all have been handled in-house. End of story. Instead, he doesn't just simply make the "shock horror" statement that Clare (aged 21) still has a lot to learn (the same would also appear to apply to players a lot older than him) and leave it at that, but goes on unnecessarily, and at considerable length and in training-ground detail, about what he should have done to prevent the goal. Looking at Clare in interviews and at his general intelligent play on the pitch, he seems like a bright, grounded lad who would know full well and be angry that he'd been cleverly blindsided -- by a highly experienced player (aged 34) with 500-plus games (mostly in the Prem) and 80-plus international caps for Eire. Yes, he's undoubtedly got a lot to learn (who hasn't?), and i'm sure he'd recognise that, but he doesn't need to be given lessons in public.  (We've all dropped round uns at work -- imagine what our reactions would be if the boss decided to tell the media about them!). Any sportsperson would tell you that one of the keys to high performance is confidence. This will have done nothing for Clare's confidence -- especially the gibberish bit about "sometimes when you are too positive as a player you miss how you can improve". Hope there's not a contract-related hidden agenda in Jos's extravagant public criticism -- and that it doesn't lead to us losing a promising talent. Looks to me like Jos (aged 54) also still has a lot to learn.

Can you imagine if he was talking about all the goals Loovens and Hunt have cost us this season, it would have to have a press conference each week just to cover their wee wee tail ups. WTF:

13 minutes ago, Lord Snooty said:

"sometimes when you are too positive as a player you miss how you can improve"

I think he's got the wrong word in translation.  I don't think he means positive. I think he means something else.

Can't think of it at the moment.

It'll come to me.

I think he means Clare is very confident character which no doubt helped him perform when put in the first team . I have been amazed how he has not been overawed at all.

But equally this confidence might mean he doesn’t see things he has to improve.