Jos Luhukay on George Hirst & Sean Clare

Guest Xxxxxxxxcxcc
3 minutes ago, Bluesteel said:

The Dutch? journalist who gave the low down on Luhukay suggested he often came across harsh with young players in his career. But he also said that those who listened to him became good players and often followed him club to club. 

Indeed, not all good managers can be all fluffy and loving like Brian Clough was.

I'm not confident of either staying. 

Actually more confident of Hirst because at least he is Wednesday born n bed. 

I am sick of hearing the ball is in their court though. In this day an age there will always be a rival ready to snap em up if we dont so the ball is in our court. 

If,

at the end of the day and neither Clare or Hirst sign, by playing both in the first team will this make their worth to Sheffield Wednesday more than not playing,

Surely this would give us more bargaining power come a tribunal to reach a figure on how much we would receive in compensation?

Are we starting to become more professional, is this our new Chairlady doing what should have been done before?

Or does it make no difference. :rolleyes:

Edited by daleblue

3 minutes ago, Olibeak said:

I tried and miserably failed (I'm crap at this techie stuff, which is why i rarely post or comment) to start a new post yesterday called No "kidding", please! I was prompted by Sean Clare's recent performances v Derby and Villa, and the old adage that if they're good enough they're old enough. As a club and a nation, we should get  away from "one size fits all" labelling of promising young uns as "academy kids" who it's risky to play as they might make mistakes. Of course, young players will make mistakes. But so do old uns. (Who was supposed to pick up Referee Terry for the first goal? Boyd -- who i thought had a good game -- should have been alive to blocking Hourihane for the third and should never have got skinned by Snotgrass in such a tight space leading up to the pen.) Klopp plays "kids" like Gomez and Alexander-Arnold in much bigger games than we're involved in. And sticks by them when they make costly mistakes (nowhere near as many major blunders as a seasoned international like Lovren) and doesn't highight their mistakes publicly.  He generally  leaves that counter-productive crap to mouthy Mourinho.

I was also prompted to do a bit of googling malarkey to find out a bit more about Clare's background. For a start, he's now played 40-plus first team games (mostly League One); he played for five years at a top academy team  (including players such as Gomez and Kasey Palmer) when Charlton were playing against Prem clubs before the academy system was restructured; left of his own accord to pursue his education (see interview at Gillingham below -- comes across as a pleasant, intelligent young man, rather than a cocky Billy Big Boots), before being picked up by the now-defunct Nike Academy, playing Barcelona u-19s home  (scoring at Wembley) and away (hits the post with back-header and involved in setting up two goals) and at PSG, AC Milan, Prem club u-23s and first teams such as Walsall and Burton. Not a bad CV -- and probably explains why he didn't look fazed at all stepping out at Hillsborough against top Championship teams.

I've also had the chance to visit the Nike set-up at St George's Park, and it was light years ahead of most league club academies in terms of facilities, coaching, sports science, diet, fitness and speed training, video analysis etc.

Anyway, have a gander at some stuff my google trawl threw up, and let's hope the club treats every one of our excellent crop of young prospects on individual merit, not age, and helps give them the confidence and contracts that will see them flourish -- hopefully, in the  blue and white stripes of Wednesday! 

https://www.gillinghamfootballclub.com/ifollow/video-archive/?&player=Sean Clare     

DA08BB2D-D837-4C37-A72C-21746BC5842C.jpeg

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

5 minutes ago, coopswfc76 said:

Do you genuinely think were a bigger club than Hertha Berlin or Stuttgart?

In fan base no but In England the media scrutiny is a lot higher. In germeny he might do a press conference a week with a few journalist righting for the local rag. In England this is the 6 or 7 press conference this week, we want to know everything and anything about the club. He is followed where ever he goes with people wanting a quote.

Are we bigger that Hertha Berlin and Stuttgart i think we are but I this the Owls are bigger than any other, but the media scrutiny is more than he will have experienced anywhere before.

Guest Xxxxxxxxcxcc
1 minute ago, daleblue said:

If,

at the end of the day and neither Clare or Hirst, sign by playing both in the first team will this make their worth to Sheffield Wednesday more than not playing,

Surely this would give us more bargaining power come a tribunal to reach a figure on how much we would receive in compensation?

Are we starting to become more professional, is this our new Chairlady doing what should have been done before?

Or does it make no difference. :rolleyes:

All players have to earn a first team place. We need points.

The CEO appointment is welcome IMO.

1 hour ago, torryowl said:

sure rip into him in the dressing room but why tell the press ...none of us realised it was clare's fault so what purpose does it serve making it public . ........if he wants to say the lads not the finished article just leave it he's got a lot to learn .....we know how the fans can pounce on a young player when he makes a mistake and they'll be ready to point  the finger the next time someone gets a free shot like the villa player did . 

Because the fans are giving him all the plaudits and not noticing the error. 

1 minute ago, room0035 said:

In fan base no but In England the media scrutiny is a lot higher. In germeny he might do a press conference a week with a few journalist righting for the local rag. In England this is the 6 or 7 press conference this week, we want to know everything and anything about the club. He is followed where ever he goes with people wanting a quote.

Are we bigger that Hertha Berlin and Stuttgart i think we are but I this the Owls are bigger than any other, but the media scrutiny is more than he will have experienced anywhere before.

We are not bigger than Hertha Berlin or Stuttgart.

Perhaps in an alternative universe we are, but in the real world we are nowhere near their size.

1 hour ago, Bluesteel said:

Given how Clare bigs himself up on Twitter with his hashtag JL probably thinks he needs to stay grounded, which he does. He doesn’t sound committed to staying yet with his “I’ll leave my contract with my agent” spiel and the self promotion. He’s only played a handful of games and he’s all Jesse Lingard.

Hope he stays as he looks like he could be a big player for us, but it’s an interesting way for a young player to come across.

Lets hope he disent take advice from the George Hirst, people.

Guest Xxxxxxxxcxcc
2 minutes ago, sirlawrenceofmadden said:

Clare is on a totally different level than Lavery.

I think he's a better prospect too but only time will tell. After a couple of games people were raving about Lavery. 

Edited by Xxxxxxxxcxcc

1 minute ago, SiJ said:

We are not bigger than Hertha Berlin or Stuttgart.

Perhaps in an alternative universe we are, but in the real world we are nowhere near their size.

I am missing you point,

Hertha have 2 league titles and 2 cup titles

Stuttgart have 5 league titles and 3 cup wins and lost two finals in European football.

The owls have 5 league titles, 4 domestic cup wins,

So based on honours the rankings are Stuggart- Owls, Hertha

But there are other measure of size of clubs, fan base, tradition, ageof club, media exposure or so on.

But one thing is for certain Jos will never have experienced the level of media exposure and scrutiny he is under at the Owls

Just now, room0035 said:

I am missing you point,

Hertha have 2 league titles and 2 cup titles

Stuttgart have 5 league titles and 3 cup wins and lost two finals in European football.

The owls have 5 league titles, 4 domestic cup wins,

So based on honours the rankings are Stuggart- Owls, Hertha

But there are other measure of size of clubs, fan base, tradition, ageof club, media exposure or so on.

But one thing is for certain Jos will never have experienced the level of media exposure and scrutiny he is under at the Owls

Hertha are based in a capital city and play in front of 50,000 fans on average.

Sheffield Wednesday play in front of a half empty stadium with a band parping in the background.

Perhaps in the 90s we could argue some sort of parity, but for the last decade plus we've been a yo-yo team between League One and the Championship.

As for the media scrutiny:

Perhaps - but how do you know? Someone who watches Bundesliga on a regular basis might be able to offer a comparison in terms of media coverage.

At the end of the day, we are in the Championship, so the most scrutiny Jos will have to deal with (on a regular basis) is The Dom, Staton/Giddings and some bloke from the Yorkshire Post.

It's not the Premier League.

Just now, SiJ said:

Hertha are based in a capital city and play in front of 50,000 fans on average.

Sheffield Wednesday play in front of a half empty stadium with a band parping in the background.

Perhaps in the 90s we could argue some sort of parity, but for the last decade plus we've been a yo-yo team between League One and the Championship.

As for the media scrutiny:

Perhaps - but how do you know? Someone who watches Bundesliga on a regular basis might be able to offer a comparison in terms of media coverage.

At the end of the day, we are in the Championship, so the most scrutiny Jos will have to deal with (on a regular basis) is The Dom, Staton/Giddings and some bloke from the Yorkshire Post.

It's not the Premier League.

The Attendance in Germany are a bit of a red herring though as Stuttart get big gates as most of them get in for Ext to nothing. Shalke do the same and most of the season ticket prices are 3150 compared to £500-600 for us.

Yes Hertha get 50,000 to a game but in Germany they have 3 or 4 teams in their capital in England we have 20 - 30 football league teams in our capital. if we were a regular top flight team would our attendances be higher definitely.

When you look at the ranking of the top 20 teams in European football I saw one recently with Stoke city in the top 15 - are they a big club - no but they have the money from the premier league that gives then silly buying power.

I would love to see a definitive ranking of what makes one team bigger than another

4 minutes ago, room0035 said:

The Attendance in Germany are a bit of a red herring though as Stuttart get big gates as most of them get in for Ext to nothing. Shalke do the same and most of the season ticket prices are 3150 compared to £500-600 for us.

Yes Hertha get 50,000 to a game but in Germany they have 3 or 4 teams in their capital in England we have 20 - 30 football league teams in our capital. if we were a regular top flight team would our attendances be higher definitely.

When you look at the ranking of the top 20 teams in European football I saw one recently with Stoke city in the top 15 - are they a big club - no but they have the money from the premier league that gives then silly buying power.

I would love to see a definitive ranking of what makes one team bigger than another

Don't understand is this a typo ??

Edited by Hookowl

3 minutes ago, room0035 said:

German clubs sell a 'number' of season ticket at reduced rates, Stuttgart around 12,000 i think,but the rest are as dear if not dearer than England

42 minutes ago, Chardron said:

Had Carlos called players out when required we may have found ourselves in a different situation. 

Im not saying its always a bad thing but to call out Clare when there are many more experienced players that need a kick up the arse is harsh imo.