Jos Luhukay on George Hirst & Sean Clare

1 hour ago, Bluesteel said:

Given how Clare bigs himself up on Twitter with his hashtag JL probably thinks he needs to stay grounded, which he does. He doesn’t sound committed to staying yet with his “I’ll leave my contract with my agent” spiel and the self promotion. He’s only played a handful of games and he’s all Jesse Lingard.

Hope he stays as he looks like he could be a big player for us, but it’s an interesting way for a young player to come across.

Clare has looked promising but he still has a lot to learn and is far from the finished article, good to see Jos trying to keep him grounded.

For me although he has looked good, he hasn't looked any better than Lavery did a few years ago when he first got into the first team.

1 hour ago, sweetsheri said:

Don’t have a problem with it. Players are too sensitive nowadays.

Hopefully he rollocked nuhui too for giving the ball away leading to villas equaliser.

Yes, I was really annoyed with him as he had a great chance to put Joao through for a possible 3-1 lead but kept hold of the ball and lost it with a weak pass to set up the Villa attack.

Edited by Beauchief Owl

If I had my way I would have all the players off twitter we have seen to many time this season that when Players are allowed to post whatever comes into their heads on social media more often than not the make a wee pipe of them selves.

There should be a club social media feed and no other. let your play on the pitch do the talking.

I don't like what Jos has done re Clare, if we start picking up young players on everything they do wrong the Wildsmith cost us the first goal because he should have held the ball (forgetting the two saves he made), or it was Hunts,Fox's fault because they were not on the front and back post,  Reach, Pelupessy were at fault for giving Hourihane room to have a shot and so on.

Don't single players out for praise definitely don't single players out for criticism and a player you are trying to sign to a longer deal not the smartest of news conference once more by Jos, I think he is starting to struggle with the media attention he is getting at our club.

• Haha 1

Guest Xxxxxxxxcxcc
5 minutes ago, TrickyTrev said:

Clare has looked promising but he still has a lot to learn and is far from the finished article, good to see Jos trying to keep him grounded.

For me although he has looked good, he hasn't looked any better than Lavery did a few years ago when he first got into the first team.

This is a very good point. Cautious optimism required IMO.

Just now, SiJ said:

People really getting upset about Jos's comment re: Clare?

It's just an effort to keep the lad grounded - nothing sinister.

People falling over themselves to be offended.

Second language isn't it. Can always be played either way for headlines. Word here or there that can be construed however.

Carlos' remaining acolytes will always be ready to leap on the new manager too.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, @owlstalk said:

AGAIN

This is the season of everyone being all offended innit

I am deeply offended by that, it’s my right to be offended and this offends me greatly. Not just this but everything, it’s all

your fault and I don’t know what to do with all this offence I have acquired. 

• Haha 1

2 minutes ago, TrickyTrev said:

Dont get me wrong, I think he’s a talent and adds a lot to us. I’d been saying we should play him for ages.

Theres just a bit of a trend amongst some young footballers at the minute that I find daft, Jesse Lingard and Pogba have little brand names for themselves and caps with their own names on. Properly in love with themselves. each to their own but give me a down to Earth Paul scholes type any day!

• Like 2

10 minutes ago, room0035 said:

If I had my way I would have all the players off twitter we have seen to many time this season that when Players are allowed to post whatever comes into their heads on social media more often than not the make a wee pipe of them selves.

There should be a club social media feed and no other. let your play on the pitch do the talking.

I don't like what Jos has done re Clare, if we start picking up young players on everything they do wrong the Wildsmith cost us the first goal because he should have held the ball (forgetting the two saves he made), or it was Hunts,Fox's fault because they were not on the front and back post,  Reach, Pelupessy were at fault for giving Hourihane room to have a shot and so on.

Don't single players out for praise definitely don't single players out for criticism and a player you are trying to sign to a longer deal not the smartest of news conference once more by Jos, I think he is starting to struggle with the media attention he is getting at our club.

Do you genuinely think were a bigger club than Hertha Berlin or Stuttgart?

1 hour ago, WalthamOwl said:

Bit harsh on Clare. Not heard Jos call out a player for conceding a goal before. I would say there are many other players that could be blamed in recent weeks rather than Clare.

Had Carlos called players out when required we may have found ourselves in a different situation. 

I tried and miserably failed (I'm crap at this techie stuff, which is why i rarely post or comment) to start a new post yesterday called No "kidding", please! I was prompted by Sean Clare's recent performances v Derby and Villa, and the old adage that if they're good enough they're old enough. As a club and a nation, we should get  away from "one size fits all" labelling of promising young uns as "academy kids" who it's risky to play as they might make mistakes. Of course, young players will make mistakes. But so do old uns. (Who was supposed to pick up Referee Terry for the first goal? Boyd -- who i thought had a good game -- should have been alive to blocking Hourihane for the third and should never have got skinned by Snotgrass in such a tight space leading up to the pen.) Klopp plays "kids" like Gomez and Alexander-Arnold in much bigger games than we're involved in. And sticks by them when they make costly mistakes (nowhere near as many major blunders as a seasoned international like Lovren) and doesn't highight their mistakes publicly.  He generally  leaves that counter-productive crap to mouthy Mourinho.

I was also prompted to do a bit of googling malarkey to find out a bit more about Clare's background. For a start, he's now played 40-plus first team games (mostly League One); he played for five years at a top academy team  (including players such as Gomez and Kasey Palmer) when Charlton were playing against Prem clubs before the academy system was restructured; left of his own accord to pursue his education (see interview at Gillingham below -- comes across as a pleasant, intelligent young man, rather than a cocky Billy Big Boots), before being picked up by the now-defunct Nike Academy, playing Barcelona u-19s home  (scoring at Wembley) and away (hits the post with back-header and involved in setting up two goals) and at PSG, AC Milan, Prem club u-23s and first teams such as Walsall and Burton. Not a bad CV -- and probably explains why he didn't look fazed at all stepping out at Hillsborough against top Championship teams.

I've also had the chance to visit the Nike set-up at St George's Park, and it was light years ahead of most league club academies in terms of facilities, coaching, sports science, diet, fitness and speed training, video analysis etc.

Anyway, have a gander at some stuff my google trawl threw up, and let's hope the club treats every one of our excellent crop of young prospects on individual merit, not age, and helps give them the confidence and contracts that will see them flourish -- hopefully, in the  blue and white stripes of Wednesday! 

https://www.gillinghamfootballclub.com/ifollow/video-archive/?&player=Sean Clare     

I think he was just making a point not to get too ahead of ourselves in heaping praise on a youngster. Yes he's done well but it is early days. He will already have spoken to the lad about his performance and what he needs to do. It is not a problem.