Jos Luhukay on George Hirst & Sean Clare

2 minutes ago, Bluesteel said:

Given how Clare bigs himself up on Twitter with his hashtag JL probably thinks he needs to stay grounded, which he does. He doesn’t sound committed to staying yet with his “I’ll leave my contract with my agent” spiel and the self promotion. He’s only played a handful of games and he’s all Jesse Lingard.

Hope he stays as he looks like he could be a big player for us, but it’s an interesting way for a young player to come across.

Bit harsh. Nothing against a young lad showing a bit of confidence and belief in himself. Most of the top players have that in them, which is why they play at the top level. 

Personally would meet his demands. A young English midfielder with height, skill, pace and eye for goal. Could be worth millions to the club if he progresses as I imagine he will.

2 minutes ago, Kanye West said:

No harm in keeping his feet on the ground. Yes it's great he scored, but if we're conceding and he's making mistakes then he can only learn if he's told about them.

sure rip into him in the dressing room but why tell the press ...none of us realised it was clare's fault so what purpose does it serve making it public . ........if he wants to say the lads not the finished article just leave it he's got a lot to learn .....we know how the fans can pounce on a young player when he makes a mistake and they'll be ready to point  the finger the next time someone gets a free shot like the villa player did . 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Guest Xxxxxxxxcxcc
Just now, SallyCinnamon said:

Bit harsh. Nothing against a young lad showing a bit of confidence and belief in himself. Most of the top players have that in them, which is why they play at the top level. 

Personally would meet his demands. A young English midfielder with height, skill, pace and eye for goal. Could be worth millions to the club if he progresses as I imagine he will.

Agree with virtually all of that apart from the bit in bold which needs qualifying. Again it's a balancing act between paying the going rate and opening the floodgates to wholesale imprudent/premature contracts.

1 minute ago, torryowl said:

sure rip into him in the dressing room but why tell the press ...none of us realised it was clare's fault so what purpose does it serve making it public . ........if he wants to say the lads not the finished article just leave it he's got a lot to learn .....we know how the fans can pounce on a young player when he makes a mistake and they'll be ready to point  the finger the next time someone gets a free shot like the villa player did . 

I read it as a way of not answering the Hist part of the question. Ramble on about Clare so he can put off discussing Hirst and his contract.

I do think it was unnecessary of JL though that.

What about Nuhiu giving the ball away for the equaliser or Boyd not blocking. If Jos has to say something just say he has things to improve like every player does. Very unfair to single out a young lad imo who has looked very impressive of late and scored his first goal for us, he rightly so should be on cloud nine after that. I hope Jos doesnt try and change his game to much because his attacking runs from midfield are something nobody else seems to be able to do. 

Edited by WalthamOwl

2 minutes ago, Xxxxxxxxcxcc said:

Agree with virtually all of that apart from the bit in bold which needs qualifying. Again it's a balancing act between paying the going rate and opening the floodgates to wholesale imprudent/premature contracts.

Originally money wasn't the issue with Clare, it was the length of the contract. Hopefully signing the likes of Thorniley and Stobbs up to longer deals means we will be offering Clare something similar. Scandalous if we don't. 

However if it is being left in the hands of his agent that doesn't fill me with confidence. He'll be looking to get the best deal possible for him. Imagine after his last two performances clubs will start to take notice of Clare.

17 minutes ago, torryowl said:

I agree................and the last thing we want is him getting so hung up on defensive duties that he stops doing what he is good at, similar to the Ross Barkley situation when Hodgson was England boss.

Jos is obviously getting to grips with how our fanbase react. Pointing out that he's at fault partially for one of their goals because he knows he's going to get 'Why isn't Clare first name on the team sheet FFS, he scored a goal!?!?!' In the next interview he has when Clare s next dropped from the starting 11. 

It should also stop most from claiming 'met whatever demands he has', which will get back to the player and put the pressure on the chairman. Also it somewhat protects Clare from the fans expecting too much from him. (when have we ever done that though after only a few appearances?) 

39 minutes ago, SallyCinnamon said:

Swerved the Hirst question when it came to contracts

lol

We must be patience and see what the future is bringing us.

Sounds more positive than it has done all season to me. 

28 minutes ago, SallyCinnamon said:

Its great to have confidence. But your own hashtag after about three games, not sure about that.

Edited by Bluesteel

Guest Xxxxxxxxcxcc
38 minutes ago, torryowl said:

I really only think it'll be a big deal if we fans make it so. At the moment it's a mere ripple in a teacup. Hope it stays that way.

Guest We Shall Overcome
54 minutes ago, WalthamOwl said:

Bit harsh on Clare. Not heard Jos call out a player for conceding a goal before. I would say there are many other players that could be blamed in recent weeks rather than Clare.

Like Atdhe Nuhui's Hospital Ball to Adam Reach which led to Villa's making it 2-2 and was for me the turning point in their favour!!!

Guest Xxxxxxxxcxcc
37 minutes ago, SallyCinnamon said:

Originally money wasn't the issue with Clare, it was the length of the contract. Hopefully signing the likes of Thorniley and Stobbs up to longer deals means we will be offering Clare something similar. Scandalous if we don't. 

However if it is being left in the hands of his agent that doesn't fill me with confidence. He'll be looking to get the best deal possible for him. Imagine after his last two performances clubs will start to take notice of Clare.

Yes I phrased that badly, money and length of contract are both key factors. We now have quite a few young players pushing through. There's a hint that the club previously preferred to offer one year deals as a kind of hedge. We might see longer contracts now as the dam has been breached. It might see some later developers leaving though as contracts will be more of a premium and perhaps fewer will be offered. We'll see. I guess though that so long as wages are kept at levels that Division One clubs can afford there's always the possibility of offloading should it emerge that the Championship is a step beyond. It will be interesting to see how things pan out with the likes of Preston, Borukov and Lonchar.

A couple of months ago perhaps Clare would have wanted to extend his Gillingham loan then sign for them permanently at season's end. I think that we're fortunate (or shrewd) that it wasn't a season long loan

Guest Xxxxxxxxcxcc
10 minutes ago, BRADDO said:

No. That Mirocevic dude said the contract was signed days ago. 

It was clearly BS. 

It's wait and see for me.