Midfield Options

If we continue to play 3-5-2, we need a lot of options, certainly 6 maybe 7.

Whilst Reach is playing well in midfield, I do see him playing left wing back when everyone is back fit. Wing back is currently a problem position - I don’t like Boyd there and Fox is better in a 3 man defence.

One thing I will say, I would like Clare to be in our first team squad next season vying for one of those places. We need to bring youth through and freshen this squad up.

If the club are struggling to agree terms with Clare on a new contract, Luhukay needs to go to Chansiri (or Meire) and tell them, Clare will be a core squad member next season.

So pay him that status. Don't try to fob him off with a contract that reflects a top earner within the U23's. Give him a contract in line with a first team squad member (with incentives). 

And, if Luhukay likes the look of Hirst, he needs to do the side with him. I have no issues paying Clare or Hirst £5-7k/week, if they are going to be involved with the first team. 

Under Carlos, the issue was, we'd have potentially been paying £5-7k/week for players who were restricted to either U23 appearances or appearances out on loan.

Wallace will leave, but I suspect we'll be left with the Northern General VIP Loyalty Card members (Abdi, Hutchinson, Lee), as no teams will take a gamble on them. 

I think were covered for defensive minded players with Jones, Hutchinson and Pelupessy. We've got a good variety of box to box midfielders in Reach, Lee and Clare. Bannan is the exceptional talent (who I suspect may be sold), but I think we could do with a string puller, No. 10...like an Abdi type...but one who will actually make it onto the pitch. 

Midfield wouldn't be my area of priority (assuming we get players fit), but would be nice to add a bit of quality in there. We're desperate for a left wing back (or two), a commanding, rough arsed centre half, and maybe a striker if Nuhiu leaves (and Hooper/Fletcher leave). 

1 minute ago, frastheowl said:

If the club are struggling to agree terms with Clare on a new contract, Luhukay needs to go to Chansiri (or Meire) and tell them, Clare will be a core squad member next season.

So pay him that status. Don't try to fob him off with a contract that reflects a top earner within the U23's. Give him a contract in line with a first team squad member (with incentives). 

And, if Luhukay likes the look of Hirst, he needs to do the side with him. I have no issues paying Clare or Hirst £5-7k/week, if they are going to be involved with the first team. 

Under Carlos, the issue was, we'd have potentially been paying £5-7k/week for players who were restricted to either U23 appearances or appearances out on loan.

Wallace will leave, but I suspect we'll be left with the Northern General VIP Loyalty Card members (Abdi, Hutchinson, Lee), as no teams will take a gamble on them. 

I think were covered for defensive minded players with Jones, Hutchinson and Pelupessy. We've got a good variety of box to box midfielders in Reach, Lee and Clare. Bannan is the exceptional talent (who I suspect may be sold), but I think we could do with a string puller, No. 10...like an Abdi type...but one who will actually make it onto the pitch. 

Midfield wouldn't be my area of priority (assuming we get players fit), but would be nice to add a bit of quality in there. We're desperate for a left wing back (or two), a commanding, rough arsed centre half, and maybe a striker if Nuhiu leaves (and Hooper/Fletcher leave). 

You raise some good points there. If we are playing with 3 in the midfield, you want a defensive player in there who gets his foot in, a playmaker and a runner.

Bannan or Abdi could be the playmaker, Joey or Hutch for the defensive role and Lee and Clare for the runner role. Reach can also fill in but I’d have him at left wing back.

The issue with the above is whether you can get all those on the park - Hutch, Lee and Abdi are all injury prone and you have to wonder whether we can ever rely on them.

2 minutes ago, Bouncing Owl said:

You raise some good points there. If we are playing with 3 in the midfield, you want a defensive player in there who gets his foot in, a playmaker and a runner.

Bannan or Abdi could be the playmaker, Joey or Hutch for the defensive role and Lee and Clare for the runner role. Reach can also fill in but I’d have him at left wing back.

The issue with the above is whether you can get all those on the park - Hutch, Lee and Abdi are all injury prone and you have to wonder whether we can ever rely on them.

And that is the issue.

Those three alone will be on a huge whack...well over £70k/week. 

Can we replace those, without getting rid? I suspect not. 

I fear we'll be left with them, and keeping our fingers crossed we can get them out on the field on a regular basis. If we can, there's no issue, they are certainly good enough. But, as we know all too well, it's a very big IF indeed. 

I would look to copy Hudds example and go for the younger and more energetic players, let the experienced pros go from the wage list. Especially if we are in trouble with FFP.  

Dawson 

New/Hunt  Venancio Lees   New/Penney

Pelupessy  Bannan

Clare    Reach  Forestieri

Hirst 

• Like 1

See if we can get abdi and Jones off the wage bill. 

Sell bazza if we can get a big bid in to help rebuild. 

Let Wallace go for me Been a great servant but it's time to look forward. 

Keep hutch as we now have two dcm to rotate and has good utility and leadership qualities. 

Assessment of Lee when fit. 

Build for the future around joey, Clare and reach. 

Not sure we should be selling bazza

Hutch- could use as part of back 3 or Cdm

Abdi- really unsure if he will play , try to sell

Lee- keep

baz- keep

jones - back up option

wallace- good servant but release 

Clare/ use first team if he plays as he has been

reach- LWB if 3/5/2 or 

joey- keep 

I think we will go 4-2-3-1 or perhaps 4-5-1.Difficult to talk in terms of midfield as several have played in more than one position.

Under Jos only Clare, Pelupessy, and Reach have shown enough to say they will be involved.

Of the missing only Lee and Hutchinson if returned to fitness could figure in formations indicated above.

Bannan is not a defensive midfield player and does not score enough to operate as attacking midfielder. Jones and Butterfield are one paced and do not look to be among those Jos favours.

Age is against Wallace and injury record for Abdi is atrocious.

Boyd you could see being used from bench or as squad player as you are guaranteed effort.

Think recruitment will be necessary in this area.Unless we have another couple of young players step forward in next couple of months.

15 minutes ago, Southie_Owl said:

I would look to copy Hudds example and go for the younger and more energetic players, let the experienced pros go from the wage list. Especially if we are in trouble with FFP.  

Dawson 

New/Hunt  Venancio Lees   New/Penney

Pelupessy  Bannan

Clare    Reach  Forestieri

Hirst 

Swap Bannan and Reach. The other dcm in a 4231 is the box to box generally. Play Bannan further forward where he does his best work. Would go with Hooper, João, Hirst  and one new young striker (small, pacey) as our available forwards next season.  Unless Matias comes back and sets the world on fire we need another wide forward (Ince/Lawrence type player). Not sure if Preston/Lonchar might get a shot before the end of the season, those that watch them more often might be able to say better. Get shot of Jones for a more dynamic dcm, if Hutch stays fit then great we'll have options.

Nice options in Van Aken, Thorniley, O'Grady, Nielsen and Hutchinson at CB. I hope we see a fully fit Kieran Lee next season.

So we need...

LB x 2

DCM

Wide forward

Playmaker (competition for Bannan)

Striker

Busy summer......

3 hours ago, BarnsleyOwl96 said:

How do you think we will go forward with the midfield options in the summer ? Especially with the emergence of Clare

Clare

Jones

Joey

Reach

Abdi

Baz

Lee

Hutch

Wallace

Usually you would expect around 5 for central midfield ?

I doubt we will see Wallace and Jones here next season. Pelupessy and Bannan will be nailed on to start. I see the future of Reach not in CM but he's done well filling in. Think we may struggle to get a full season out of a combined Lee/Hutchinson/Abdi due to continuing injury struggles. The emergence of Clare is nice but I still think that Jos may bring in another body in truth, especially if he plays three in the middle.