Letter sent to the FA

48 minutes ago, alfonso123 said:

Surely though, if you were bent, and had been paid off, you'd be a bit more subtle about it.

Not put in display that screams "Look at me! I'm blatantly bent, and I've taken a bung"

You'd have to be as thick as mince. 

Referees know that they operate, as a rule, beyond any semblance of accountability. The outrage that has followed yesterday’s goings on will be confined to Wednesday fans and will likely be forgotten in a few days. Quite easy therefore to see how a referee might be tempted to take the risk of taking a bung to fix spots (over which he has complete control) in a relatively low profile game. It’s been done in cricket and there was a spot fixing case dropped by the CPS a few years ago against 7 football league players. As the pundits keep reminding us, referees are only human and of all the on field participants, they are the lowest paid by some distance.

1 hour ago, Plonk said:

Not read the full thread but I’ve commented on other threads, and I wasn’t there yesterday as I’m on my hols. BUT whilst letters to the fa are worth fa and as the op says will be straight in the bin, but I’m foookin sick of coming out of games talking about refs. I’m coming up sixty, and it was never like this before. No one noticed referees back then and that’s how it should be. You didn’t know there names, didn’t notice they were even on the pitch. Now the tail tugging tuggers want to be the centre of attention. Fat kids who couldn’t play who hate those that can. If things don’t change soon with the standards of officials I’m giving up on football cus it’s driving me mad. I’m on my hols and getting right wizzed off with what happened yesterday.

Turn off Owlstalk, go get a beer, look at pretty younger adults in sexy swimwear, chat to new people about exciting things planned for your retirement years, enjoy your holiday.

So much more positive things to be doing rather than moan at the ref on a football forum when you’re meant to be on holiday.

Relax.

I once worked with a retired ref.

He once ran the line at ours in the early 80's (forgot what game he said)...he said i was getting some big grief from your fans, (i gave throw in wrong way...mistake) never left me alone after that ...foookin twots were lobbing stuff at me...they were going mental, foook me a genuine mistake.

Rest of the match I gave em (Sheffield Wednesday) foook all, not even bang obvious stuff, ref over-ruled me a couple of times.....bollllox to em I thought and I packed up end of season....flippingused to hate Wednesday after that ....

Though he said I was ok for a Wednesdayite lol

Still happens, so he said (that was about 1995)

3 hours ago, Plonk said:

Not read the full thread but I’ve commented on other threads, and I wasn’t there yesterday as I’m on my hols. BUT whilst letters to the fa are worth fa and as the op says will be straight in the bin, but I’m foookin sick of coming out of games talking about refs. I’m coming up sixty, and it was never like this before. No one noticed referees back then and that’s how it should be. You didn’t know there names, didn’t notice they were even on the pitch. Now the tail tugging tuggers want to be the centre of attention. Fat kids who couldn’t play who hate those that can. If things don’t change soon with the standards of officials I’m giving up on football cus it’s driving me mad. I’m on my hols and getting right wizzed off with what happened yesterday.

Honestly its been getting at me the last couple of seasons and yesterday id had my fill of it..it just drags the afternoon down..yesterday was a complete crash of a performance for the officials..thinking of not renewing after the drag of this season

1 minute ago, HIGHERSTATE said:

Honestly its been getting at me the last couple of seasons and yesterday id had my fill of it..it just drags the afternoon down..yesterday was a complete crash of a performance for the officials..thinking of not renewing after the drag of this season

To be honest I usually take it as part of the game. You win some, you lose some. But anyone who saw it, including a lot of the Villa fans, couldn't believe what they were seeing.

10 hours ago, airborne_rat_of_s6 said:

What’s the alternative? Sit on your hands and belittle fellow fans for trying to air a legitimate gripe?

Football is pretty unique industry in that the customer can often come way down the list of priorities.

Despite the rubbish served up by the officials yesterday, football knows that we will all be back next week, sharing our hard earned dollar, and the problem is forgotten. The economists call it "exploiting the elasticity of the demand curve".

Other industries respond more quickly and with more satisfaction (in the main) because they will lose business to competitors.

The FA doesn't have to bother to that extent. It appears to be a reactive organisation and will only do as it is told when government gets involved (e.g. All seater stadia, child protection measures, hooliganism, fans on boards or other representation, etc, etc)

12 hours ago, HOSTAGE IN PYONGYANG said:

I have sent the following letter to fa@info.com

It will be in the bin by now.

"Dear Sirs,

I would like the FA  to investigate the level of officiating during the Sheffield Wednesday vs Aston Villa played at Hillsborough yesterday.

I know as a paying member of the public I cannot instigate a full enquiry, but the FA, as the regulatory body should be aware of what happened at the game.

Firstly the amount of fouls awarded was somewhat disproportionate. 16 to 1. I find this very strange. I am aware that refereeing is a difficult job to do, but 16 to 1 seems to suggest one team were 16 times more, shall we say physical, than the other. This was not the case.

Secondly the overall standard of the officials was somewhat one-sided.

I have never written to the FA before, as in the past I have assumed the referee had made poor judgements, as we all do. Sadly that cannot be said of the referee in yesterdays games, as the decision making was consistently poor.

I look forward to your response.

Regards"

I have a feeling you will be waiting a while for a response lol

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Will69 said:

Turn off Owlstalk, go get a beer, look at pretty younger adults in sexy swimwear, chat to new people about exciting things planned for your retirement years, enjoy your holiday.

So much more positive things to be doing rather than moan at the ref on a football forum when you’re meant to be on holiday.

Relax.

lol lol  Ye're a feckin good WUM dude lol  I applaud you.

Mother Theresa re-incarnate lol 

12 hours ago, Rebowl Yell said:

I regularly read forums from other clubs as entertainment and no word of a lie every single club has fans who think:

A) they always get the worst decisions against them and them alone.

B) there’s some sort of conspiracy to keep them down

C) if they have a major rival then point B is something to do with them (Man City are big on this)

I too regularly read other teams forums - similarly i used to read the fanzines of loads of other clubs - i actually used to subscribe to about 8 fanzines and in total had read fanzines from around 120 UK clubs

And for all bar a handful if you took the name of the club out of the equation and read the fanzines or latterly forums of most clubs - they are almost all exactly the same themes

The world is against them - ref had a shocker - ref was biased - ref took a bung - their goals should not have stood - we should have had 2-3 goals that didn't stand - authority conspiracy against them - TV/media companies are biased against us - why hasn't our (usually decidedly average player) been called up for England//whoever etc etc etc

Swarbrick may have had the beast of all beasts - but i absolutely refuse to believe he took a bung - and if he did then he could have at least make it look like he didn't

2 minutes ago, scram said:

I too regularly read other teams forums - similarly i used to read the fanzines of loads of other clubs - i actually used to subscribe to about 8 fanzines and in total had read fanzines from around 120 UK clubs

And for all bar a handful if you took the name of the club out of the equation and read the fanzines or latterly forums of most clubs - they are almost all exactly the same themes

The world is against them - ref had a shocker - ref was biased - ref took a bung - their goals should not have stood - we should have had 2-3 goals that didn't stand - authority conspiracy against them - TV/media companies are biased against us - why hasn't our (usually decidedly average player) been called up for England//whoever etc etc etc

Swarbrick may have had the beast of all beasts - but i absolutely refuse to believe he took a bung - and if he did then he could have at least make it look like he didn't

Ahh the old double bluff 

8 minutes ago, scram said:

The old double bluff kato...

You have much to learn my Oriental friend...lolffs.

• Haha 1