How did you rate the players

Atdhe improves every game.

Just shows what happens when you get some regular game time.

Reach was excellent again.

Joao looks dangerous whenever he is involved in play - joao and Atdhe upfront looks like a good partnership.

But Clare has to be MOM - he looks a very very good player- he does remind me of dele Ali 

Clare MoM for me. Reach continued to do well, as did Pudil. The front two did ok and I think we need to stick with them for a while now.

I don't think Joey is good enough - he's too small and just doesn't offer anything. Venancio was poor for me - especially his distribution which was dire.

Wildsmith - 5 - Should've held Terry's header for the first goal, and wasn't commanding enough coming for some dangerous crosses throughout the game. Also, baffling decision making when it came to playing out from the back. 

Venancio - 6 - Thought he did alright today again. Positive distribution, and was strong throughout. But, he's part of a backline that's conceding 4 goals. 

Pudil - 6 - Same as Venancio really. Didn't do a great deal wrong, some important headers/challenges. 

Fox  - 6 - Generally, did OK. Looks much better at centre half than at left wing back. Up against Snodgrass and El-Mohammady is a tough gig...Boyd not exactly too much help defensively. 

Hunt - 6 - He's looking much better in this wing back role, and was a threat going forward. However, should've defended better for Villa's 2nd goal. 

Boyd - 5 - Decent first half, couple of decent balls across and maybe should've won a penalty. 2nd half, he was much of the problem as to how Villa came back into the game. Little back up for Fox, poor decision making, and looked out of gas after 60 minutes. Switched off for 4th goal. 

Pelupessy - 6 - Better game today from him to be fair. Looked on top for much of the first half, although another poor first touch led to him getting his caution. Perhaps didn't get to grips of the midfield as much in the 2nd half. 

Reach - 7 - Another class display. Looks effortless on the ball, and remains our key player. 

Clare - 9 - Man of the Match - What a wonderful performance. Full of energy, oozing confidence. Made Villa's ageing players look geriatric. Continually glided past them, with direct, penetrating runs. Superb finish and unlucky not to get a 2nd. Need to sign this lad up. Based on the Derby performance, and today's, he could easily pick up the void left by Lee's injury.

Joao - 8 -  Another top notch display. Run Chester and Terry ragged. Superb touches and flair. Great header for the goal. Looking every bit the genuine top class striker he could be. 

Nuhiu - 8 - Impressive yet again today. His hold up play was key. Very much the catalyst to our pattern of play today...play through the thirds into Nuhiu's feet, he drops it off, and advanced players look to run in behind. Looks a lot fitter, and as a result, a much more effective player. 

Overall...a positive display, and you cannot knock the players at all. They gave their absolute all, and on another day would've won that game by the same scoreline Villa have. The intensity in the 1st half was brilliant to watch, and I thought we managed the game reasonably well in the 2nd. Had we scored the guilt edged chances we had or had a referee who gave us a decision, we'd have won at a cantor. 

The result wasn't what we wanted, but as fans, with the situation we find ourselves in, we have to be encouraged by that display. I hope Luhukay takes Tuesday seriously...it's a great chance to make this season memorable. I know the gap is now only 7 points to the drop zone, but based on that display, we shouldn't be worried about the drop (just yet!). 

49 minutes ago, frastheowl said:

Wildsmith - 5 - Should've held Terry's header for the first goal, and wasn't commanding enough coming for some dangerous crosses throughout the game. Also, baffling decision making when it came to playing out from the back. 

Venancio - 6 - Thought he did alright today again. Positive distribution, and was strong throughout. But, he's part of a backline that's conceding 4 goals. 

Pudil - 6 - Same as Venancio really. Didn't do a great deal wrong, some important headers/challenges. 

Fox  - 6 - Generally, did OK. Looks much better at centre half than at left wing back. Up against Snodgrass and El-Mohammady is a tough gig...Boyd not exactly too much help defensively. 

Hunt - 6 - He's looking much better in this wing back role, and was a threat going forward. However, should've defended better for Villa's 2nd goal. 

Boyd - 5 - Decent first half, couple of decent balls across and maybe should've won a penalty. 2nd half, he was much of the problem as to how Villa came back into the game. Little back up for Fox, poor decision making, and looked out of gas after 60 minutes. Switched off for 4th goal. 

Pelupessy - 6 - Better game today from him to be fair. Looked on top for much of the first half, although another poor first touch led to him getting his caution. Perhaps didn't get to grips of the midfield as much in the 2nd half. 

Reach - 7 - Another class display. Looks effortless on the ball, and remains our key player. 

Clare - 9 - Man of the Match - What a wonderful performance. Full of energy, oozing confidence. Made Villa's ageing players look geriatric. Continually glided past them, with direct, penetrating runs. Superb finish and unlucky not to get a 2nd. Need to sign this lad up. Based on the Derby performance, and today's, he could easily pick up the void left by Lee's injury.

Joao - 8 -  Another top notch display. Run Chester and Terry ragged. Superb touches and flair. Great header for the goal. Looking every bit the genuine top class striker he could be. 

Nuhiu - 8 - Impressive yet again today. His hold up play was key. Very much the catalyst to our pattern of play today...play through the thirds into Nuhiu's feet, he drops it off, and advanced players look to run in behind. Looks a lot fitter, and as a result, a much more effective player. 

Overall...a positive display, and you cannot knock the players at all. They gave their absolute all, and on another day would've won that game by the same scoreline Villa have. The intensity in the 1st half was brilliant to watch, and I thought we managed the game reasonably well in the 2nd. Had we scored the guilt edged chances we had or had a referee who gave us a decision, we'd have won at a cantor. 

The result wasn't what we wanted, but as fans, with the situation we find ourselves in, we have to be encouraged by that display. I hope Luhukay takes Tuesday seriously...it's a great chance to make this season memorable. I know the gap is now only 7 points to the drop zone, but based on that display, we shouldn't be worried about the drop (just yet!). 

Agree with all ratings apart from Fox, I thought he played better with no help really from Boyd second half. I know defence conceded 4 goals but he played better then at at wing back in a back 3. After all the stick aimed at him lately - some deserved most not deserved i'd give a 7 may be. Reach was better admittedly. But fox was against some good opponents and is improving slowly. After beating Derby and beating Villa apart from the ref with such limited resources I really looking forward to JL getting his own squad together at full strength. We seen all the top teams recently and we are capable of beating them all even now.

Edited by hirstys_achilles
no sense

Guest LittleG

Pudil, Hunt, Reach, Clare and Joao had good games. Boyd was better than he has been and will hopefully improve further with more game time. Fox and Venancio not good enough and we need better than Nuihu up front. Why did Wildsmith revert to trying to play out from the back constantly putting the defence under pressure.

3 minutes ago, LittleG said:

Pudil, Hunt, Reach, Clare and Joao had good games. Boyd was better than he has been and will hopefully improve further with more game time. Fox and Venancio not good enough and we need better than Nuihu up front. Why did Wildsmith revert to trying to play out from the back constantly putting the defence under pressure.

Wildsmith been doing this alot lately. Against Millwall I thought it was due to having nobody to target with a kick. I now wondering if he has a slight injury as when Nuhui playing he has a person to aim at. If its tactical I not sure we have defenders with the skill to start playing ball out of trouble. JL in post millwall press conference did say he not a long ball type manager which i thought an odd answer so i suspect wildsmith has a slight muscle injury that he trying not to make worse by not kicking when he can.

Guest Grez Bez

Wildsmith - 7

Venancio - 6

Pudil - 8

Fox  - 6 

Hunt - 8

Boyd - 8

Pelupessy - 6

Reach - 7 - 

Clare - 9 -

Joao - 8

Nuhiu - 7

7 minutes ago, LSOwls said:

Wildsmith - 7

Venancio - 6

Pudil - 8

Fox  - 6 

Hunt - 8

Boyd - 8

Pelupessy - 6

Reach - 7 - 

Clare - 9 -

Joao - 8

Nuhiu - 7

Agree except nuhui and Fox.

Nuhui does a few things ok but he’s way out of his depth and doesn’t win nearly enough headers for his size.

Fox is just an awful player. Slow, nesh, poor in the air, poor positioning sense. 

Guest Grez Bez

1 minute ago, sweetsheri said:

Agree except nuhui and Fox.

Nuhui does a few things ok but he’s way out of his depth and doesn’t win nearly enough headers for his size.

Fox is just an awful player. Slow, nesh, poor in the air, poor positioning sense. 

Although Fox is terrible. He did his job ok today. 

Probably the best I've seen from home but. He needs replacing..

Clare takes it today,by a short head from Reach,Hunt and Adthe who slogged away despite bieng hacked at without any protection all afternoon.

improved game from Boyd,the rest......were ok,Ive noticed hestiancy among our defence in both our last two games thats VERY alarming,wether its the fact weve two LBs filling in and miss a more natural CB im not sure,although Pudil and FV could be seen berating the lack of help from some of our outfield players for their first equaliser.

Thought we deserved far better then the scoreline,missed chances have proved VERY costly today,has have individual errors.

Some very good performances from reach,jaoa and nuihu and an outstanding performance from Clare looking a real find good energy positive running kept the ball moving and a super finish. Overall a good showing that could have led to a win and merited at least a point but I suspect no matter what the ref would have found a way to gift villa the win