MATCHFIXING

Like many of you I guess still angry this morning. Like many of you I Don't think what I saw yesterday was not unduly influenced

It will no doubt be cast as one of those things that happen but for the first time ever I Don't believe that was the case. 

8 minutes ago, Markowski77 said:

The one thing that gets me is 1 foul all game, I don't think I've ever witnessed a game where that's happened

To put this into context I commented on this with 30 minutes gone to my mate alongside. Well at that stage we had 0 

There were even comments at HT when folk got the match stats up

4 minutes ago, A12owl said:

Apparently he sent off the wrong player for Man city not too long ago. There are several incidents linked to him where he has severely got it wrong.

Apparently in 2006 he sent off 2 of our players at Coventry before HT

15 hours ago, owltilidie said:

Never seen anything like today. You’ll always have the odd baffling decision and sometimes it might cost you a game. Other times the officials might be generally terrible.  In some ways, unfortunately, that’s part of football.  Today (I hate to say it!) made me genuinely question whether money is changing hands. 

Suggesting corruption is libellous against the hundreds of refs and assistants trying to do their best. They have a really difficult job. The game is faster than ever. Players and managers have little respect for officials. Players and managers routinely cheat to try and gain an advantage for there team. 

Secondly, if corruption was rife, don’t you think we would’ve cottoned on and we would have seen some strange refereeing performances in our favour?

Thirdly, don’t you think someone would have found proof by now and blown the whistle. 

Yesterdays ref was incompetent and favoured the “bigger” club and names (especially Snodgrass) He should be marked down by the assessor and dropped. 

However the ref didn’t concede 3 poor goals to lose the match, our defence did. I don’t include the penalty which I believe was a bad decision but the game was lost by then. 

2 minutes ago, Lawrie’s Left Peg said:

Suggesting corruption is libellous against the hundreds of refs and assistants trying to do their best. They have a really difficult job. The game is faster than ever. Players and managers have little respect for officials. Players and managers routinely cheat to try and gain an advantage for there team. 

Secondly, if corruption was rife, don’t you think we would’ve cottoned on and we would have seen some strange refereeing performances in our favour?

Thirdly, don’t you think someone would have found proof by now and blown the whistle. 

Yesterdays ref was incompetent and favoured the “bigger” club and names (especially Snodgrass) He should be marked down by the assessor and dropped. 

However the ref didn’t concede 3 poor goals to lose the match, our defence did. I don’t include the penalty which I believe was a bad decision but the game was lost by then. 

Nothing to take major exception to here, but all of the goals were influenced by the official's decisions.

The first was a very dodgy dive by Snodgrass where they score basically from the free kick, another was a highly dubious linesman decision where the ball looked like it gone out. Another came from second phase play following yet another dubious free kick and then the penalty.

Factor in the photo that clearly shows the ball over the line.

Factor in Nuhiu getting hacked down one on one, that would have given us a free kick in a dangerous position and put them down to 10 men.

Factor in the number of times play was stopped in their favour which broke up promising positions.

It goes on and on and on.

You are right that it wasn't the referee who conceded 'poor' goals but he sure as hell had a massive hand in them and made it almost impossible for us to get a result from this game. 

1 minute ago, bigthinrob said:

Nothing to take major exception to here, but all of the goals were influenced by the official's decisions.

The first was a very dodgy dive by Snodgrass where they score basically from the free kick, another was a highly dubious linesman decision where the ball looked like it gone out. Another came from second phase play following yet another dubious free kick and then the penalty.

Factor in Nuhiu getting hacked down one on one, that would have given us a free kick in a dangerous position and put them down to 10 men.

Factor in the number of times play was stopped in their favour which broke up promising positions.

You are right that it wasn't the referee who conceded 'poor' goals but he sure as hell had a massive hand in them and made it almost impossible for us to get a result from this game. 

Agree with all your points. Everything that could go wrong did go wrong. Pressure situations wouldn’t have happened without poor refereeing decisions. 

Just feel that allegations of corruption from other posters go too far.

Also we had to deal better with those situations. Once the (bad) decisions have been given the team have to refocus and defend properly.

First and second goal really poor marking. Third goal no one busting a gut to block.

As you say the penalty was a poor decision.

28 minutes ago, Lawrie’s Left Peg said:

Agree with points about difficulty of job, little respect, team needing to focus on our own job. My point was simply yeaterday’s refereeing performance was different to anything I have ever seen and made me question why that was. I didn’t state that corruption was rife but was - and still am! - trying to understand what I saw. It was incompetence but (and I stand by this) the consistency he showed in his preferential treatment of one team (body language, communication, helping players to their feet as well as decisions) over 95minutes raises uncomfortable questions in my mind. I don’t want corruption to be the answer to those questions, but for the first time I have genuinely considered it a possibility 

6 minutes ago, Lawrie’s Left Peg said:

Agree with all your points. Everything that could go wrong did go wrong. Pressure situations wouldn’t have happened without poor refereeing decisions. 

Just feel that allegations of corruption from other posters go too far.

Also we had to deal better with those situations. Once the (bad) decisions have been given the team have to refocus and defend properly.

First and second goal really poor marking. Third goal no one busting a gut to block.

As you say the penalty was a poor decision.

I agree with the poor marking, and we never looked comfortable with set pieces yesterday.

So many 50/50s went their way though. First goal I was bang in line with the defensive line and Terry was close to being offside, so would like to see again. Then you've got the penalty incidents. Then the Nuhiu incident. Don't think we were rougher than them either and we have 16 fouls given against the one.

I've seen some shocking reffing before and that is right up there, and that is supposedly one of the best referees we've got in the country. Bring back Uriah Rennie!

• Haha 1

8 minutes ago, owltilidie said:

Agree with points about difficulty of job, little respect, team needing to focus on our own job. My point was simply yeaterday’s refereeing performance was different to anything I have ever seen and made me question why that was. I didn’t state that corruption was rife but was - and still am! - trying to understand what I saw. It was incompetence but (and I stand by this) the consistency he showed in his preferential treatment of one team (body language, communication, helping players to their feet as well as decisions) over 95minutes raises uncomfortable questions in my mind. I don’t want corruption to be the answer to those questions, but for the first time I have genuinely considered it a possibility 

Very reasoned argument. It was extreme as the sixteen fouls versus ONE foul statistics show. How can any football team at any level be deemed to have committed only one foul in 95 mins. Wonder if their some kind of record???

14 hours ago, vulva said:

If you sat down and went through every game, you would spot loads of decisions in our favour. When teams lose managers, players and fans to an extent look for excuses, and the referee is often an easy target. The referees have nothing to do with our league posion this season. 

You have a point and most of what you've posted is correct but a team only commiting one foul in 94 minutes of football just doesn't happen. As I said earlier ring paddy Power on Tuesday and see what odds they'll give you for either team to only commit 1foul in our replay. I seriously think that the FA or somebody should be looking at betting patterns if only for the fact that it's so unusual. It's like a bowler bowling several no balls in a row,  unusual. 

There are some reasoned comments and i would usually have come around to that view. There is something about yesterday that just has left me with a nagging doubt that I have never had before post match. The fact a lot of us feel the same way - well perhaps we are all wrong ultimately 

6 minutes ago, Lawrie’s Left Peg said:

Very reasoned argument. It was extreme as the sixteen fouls versus ONE foul statistics show. How can any football team at any level be deemed to have committed only one foul in 95 mins. Wonder if their some kind of record???

Whelan not scored since about 1932, lowest foul count in history of football. We watched history in the making yesterday :) 

• Haha 1

14 hours ago, Dot said:

When we got our first free kick on 60 minutes

probably about 70% of the north stand stood up and (ironically) applauded

I've never seen anything like it before

You'd almost think Swarbrick thought poo I haven't given them a foul yet. Better give em one now or its going to look dodgy. Then he forgot again 

44 minutes ago, bigthinrob said:

Factor in every time a Wednesday player went to clear the ball/head the ball out from a corner there was a villa player behind with two hands straight in their back..no free kick. Wednesday corner and no pushing in the box..villa FK.

12 hours ago, StudentOwl said:

Villa were behind for about 40 minutes today, level for about 40, and ahead for about 10. Possession for sake of argument was 50/50 over the 90.

I'm not sure there is a football game above semi-professional level where a team only commits one foul in 80 minutes of not winning a game. It's just not possible when you're trying to be competitive. I never thought I'd say there was match fixing because it just comes across like you're making up an excuse to justify a poor performance. But it seems a damned sight more likely than a team that's only in front for 10 mins fouling the opposition only once. 

They had 51% to our 49% possession. Both teams had 25 shots think they had 2 more on target than us. We had 7 corners they had 6. Then we come to fouls. Fairly evenly matched up till that point. Then again I read 3 articles pre match about Villa's injury crisis. Apparently we had no worries because Rhodes was returning after feeling ill. 

9 minutes ago, HullOwlPhil said:

I posted on here at half time, when we were 2-1 up, that the ref was bent as fizz. 

Something stinks about his performance yesterday. I'm still fuming about it.

As i posted earlier I worked in a bookies for three years and saw fixes on a regular basis.  Dog racing mainly fixed, horse racing some of it fixed, boxing, well don't get me started, but football, well it would be harder to prove, unless the ref is involved.  Makes you think after yesterday,