OFFICIAL Coarse and Match Fishing Thread

theowlsman

26 minutes ago, פɹᴉɯqɐɹᴉɐu said:

As the wife and I are resoundingly unhappy in Portugal I'm going location scouting April 23rd-30th to Spain, 7 days booked in La Manga and Mazarron, planning to take a fair amount of tackle with me so really looking forward to some lrf, most likely this will be my first fishing of the year so hopefully I'll have some catches to share! :)

Yes please Grimmy, post them on here

2 minutes ago, פɹᴉɯqɐɹᴉɐu said:

Will do :) You ever done any LRF in Spain? Not sure of the best tackle/tactics to be honest.

I haven’t sorry. No idea what LRF is to be honest.

Are you fishing rivers, in which case, I’d probably fish feeders, packed with a smelly, oily, groundbait like crushed halibut pellet, with hair rigged halibuts as hookbait. I believe Spanish rivers contain carp and barbel, so should be a good starting point

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, theowlsman said:

Used to fish Underbank. When you were allowed to fish the dam wall.

Those bloody yachts were a nuisance at the weekend, they used to come in too close to the bank, and ruin your swim. The plan was always to have your catapult close, and a few balls of groundbait made up. And if chance, some maggots too.

Had a similar problem on the trent in Nottingham just downstream from the Forest ground . Think it was called Parkside stretch, which had the sea cadet HQ across the river and loads of small sailing boats with would be young Lord Nelsons showing a complete disregard for other river users never mind us poor anglers trying to win a match. We cured it by a broadside of maggots and arlesey bombs and groundbait . They sent for the police who arrived at the cadet HQ as we were weighing in and by the time  they got round to our side of the river we would probably have been somwhere near chesterfield on the way back .:biggrin:

• Haha 2

1 minute ago, theowlsman said:

I haven’t sorry. No idea what LRF is to be honest.

Are you fishing rivers, in which case, I’d probably fish feeders, packed with a smelly, oily, groundbait like crushed halibut pellet, with hair rigged halibuts as hookbait. I believe Spanish rivers contain carp and barbel, so should be a good starting point

Sorry LRF = light rock fishing, basically light tackle sea fishing from rocks/jetties and harbours (well not harbours in Spain it's illegal) and the like, light spinning or bait fishing.

8 hours ago, theowlsman said:

Used to fish there most weeks at one point. Bream, roach, perch, and Tommy Ruffe was the normal fayre. Perch to 2lbs 2oz, roach to 1lbs 4oz, Bream averaged about 2.5lbs. 

Oh yeah, and the brown trout of course, which all congregated at the neck-end during early spring, ready to spawn. 

My best pike was from Underbank, at a modest 13lbs 7oz, but there were some monsters caught in there to 38lbs. Caught on a lure btw

My best Pike came on a Kuusumo Professor lure in 1991 at the Flask at 27-12. Sadly no photos but it frightened the life out of my missus. Who could not believe I was deliberately fishing for something like that. 

Spent two whole days last year luring the Flask and never had a enquiry. 

Funny place. 

9 hours ago, פɹᴉɯqɐɹᴉɐu said:

Sorry LRF = light rock fishing, basically light tackle sea fishing from rocks/jetties and harbours (well not harbours in Spain it's illegal) and the like, light spinning or bait fishing.

Sorry, no, not my type of fishing, don’t think I can help mate,

1 hour ago, Bolsterstone Owl said:

My best Pike came on a Kuusumo Professor lure in 1991 at the Flask at 27-12. Sadly no photos but it frightened the life out of my missus. Who could not believe I was deliberately fishing for something like that. 

Spent two whole days last year luring the Flask and never had a enquiry. 

Funny place. 

Wow, nice pike mate.

Dire fishing again today. Had a pleasure fishing session on The Basin, at Whitmore's Fishery, Kirkham nr Blackpool.

Woke to a bright clear day and an overnight frost and it killed the fishing. Only 4 bites and these two fish all day. Carp of about 6lbs and a 2lbs+ Ide. 

20180325_153559.jpg

20180325_095951.jpg

• Thanks 2

On ‎2‎/‎25‎/‎2018 at 18:56, Bolsterstone Owl said:

It seemed at one time like half of South Yorkshire were on the Trent or down Lincolnshire every weekend. Such fond memories of club coach matches down there in the 80's as a lad. 

Used to catch one of the fishing excursion coaches that used to leave Pond Street at 5.30am to stay with my Grandad in the summer who had retired from one of the steelworks and was a bailiff on the Welland.

Went out with him a few times and virtually everyone on every peg on the bankside for miles would be from South Yorkshire.

Mainly used to fish the drains around Splading and the river Glen at Surfleet and the Vernatts drain.

On 26/03/2018 at 19:46, Bolsterstone Owl said:

Try and get a couple of hours in most evenings from now what with the lighter nights. 

First fish of my evenings campaign 2018.

Nice little roach. Scale perfect. IMG-20180326-WA0000.thumb.jpeg.102a81f53d9222076ae14d9521c11f90.jpeg

Where did you catch that one?