OFFICIAL Coarse and Match Fishing Thread

theowlsman

Anyhow my match today in Arctic conditions (almost - it never got above 1 degree C).

Won the match with 16lbs 8oz of silvers, mainly skimmers. 2nd 13lbs. 3rd only 5lbs odd. 

Back home and still trying to warm up.

Anyone else been fishing today / had a match? 

56 minutes ago, Bolsterstone Owl said:

Not been for three weeks now. This weather has to change soon! 

The weather has been pants all winter, and now into spring too, seems never ending. Should be a lot warmer now with carp starting to feed in earnest, but not here, just not showing at all. 

Where I am, even further north, near Blackpool, I reckon we’ll still be a month behind everyone else when it does start to warm up a bit. 

The few matches I have fished have all been gruellers, with bites, never mind fish, being at a premium. I’ve done nothing but scratch around for the odd bite all winter. Been very difficult. Still, when they do eventually go on the feed, I reckon some big weights will be caught early season. That’s what I keep telling myself anyhow.

Have just booked to take the caravan down to Market Harborough  a week today  until the thursday before the Preston match according to the manager the carp have been on the move as soon as the last lot of snow went so that will mean it will be chub o clock :rolleyes:. (she knows about as much about fishing as I do about needle point ) .  Couple of years back it was as cold as it is now and the awning zips were frozen overnight. First cast in was a mis cast --too short  but got a pull round before I could reel back in from  15lb carp. Dont know who was most surprised me or the carp who must have thought it was too cold for anyone to be fishing :biggrin:

• Haha 3

where's all the other s we had a decent number go on the fishing match have they all left OT  lol ,Wouldn't mind a crack at the old lilly pond at aston ponds Tarquin seen some monsters in there many years ago , is it still private mate

Its was bought from Forgemasters a good few years ago but its now one of the best commercial fisheries in the area. Extra ponds have been added and there is a match on somewhere almost every day  http://www.astonparkfisheries.co.uk/

Not been for quite a while as I dont fish in the winter anymore and now i`m retired I go in the caravan somewhere which suits er indoors ant dog as well as provides me with piscatorial pleasures:biggrin:. Waterloo farm Leisure at Great Oxendon near Market Harborough.  http://www.waterloofarmleisure.co.uk/

• Like 1

13 hours ago, theowlsman said:

Busy getting all my rigs done at the moment. Only another 30 more to do. 

Sorting my slappers out for when it gets warm. Oo er Mrs lol

There you go again Simon . bringing up memories from my youth . In my day slap was always followed by tickle !!

One of the lads who I was at school with told me about a fishing trip to Underbank Res with his then girlfriend for a days pleasure (fishing) :rolleyes:.

As the day got warmer the fishing side was overtaken by the other pleasure in life and as he was riding " bare ar##d to brighton" as they say he was rudely interrupted by the local sailing club junior section doing a bank clear up . His response was that they thought they were late for there tea as "the moon was up"

• Haha 2

those ponds have changed Tarquin my first jaunt with a tank ariel rod started there ,I was 9 i think , Andi remembered catching a snake and kept it in a sweet jar lol until it was pointed out as an adder ,kids huh we also went up to the railway bridge over kiveton / wales bar road where there was a small horseshoe pond it was as clear as crystal and about seven feet deep I seem to recall , you could catch small perch all day in there it was great in those days and not a care in the world

15 hours ago, Bolsterstone Owl said:

Used to enjoy Underbank.

Plenty of Bream on corn. Once had 80lb. Not one over 2lb.

Not been since the early 90's though.

Often pass it....very lightly fished now.

Looks a bit neglected, and you can't park near the Dam House anymore.

Always been better than the Flask.

Ahh, Dam Flask I have actually only fished it once . 

Not long after I had passed my driving test I blagged a drive in my dads car "so I could keep my hand in" . Went around Ewden  and over to Bradfield . At Low Bradfield I turned down the north side of the Flask and was assailed by a sight of the "neck end "of the res just covered  in basking Roach obviously intent on breeding . Needless to say the bank was covered in anglers as well . Stopped and watched for a while but nobody was catching much,went down to the bank and asked a chap how it was doing he said its like this most years but nobody catches much but sometimes they feed like mad and we catch loads. Watched him and a load of others casting out with self cocking floats and bunches of maggots and catching nowt but any loose maggots chucked in were being taken .  With this I shot back to Deepcar picked up my tackle and went back to the Flask , I had to wait until the pub opened at 12.00 before I could get on a peg amongst the others . Chap at the side of me said "tha waistin thi time lad not ad a bite since aif past 6 ". 

Set up with what I would have fished the Tin Mill dam with to catch very nervous Roach . 11ft fibreglass whippy rod Mitchell fixed spool reel and 4lb main line . Topped off with a "Dawsons special " 3/4 lb bottom and 22hook single maggot and a very small float taking two small lock shot on the main line . Didn`t have to cast out very far anyway and had a fish a chuck for four hours and had an "audience " behind me but nobody asked me how I was fishing which seemed strange . As I was packing stuff back in the car there was a rush to get into my vacated peg by a bloke from 3 pegs further along and I watched him firing out his self cocking float and bunch of maggots  for a few casts without success  and travelled back to Deepcar with a very smug smile on mi clock

• Haha 3

5 minutes ago, Bolsterstone Owl said:

No pike trouble then! 

Fished about 50-60 matches on the Flask and it was always a race to get the fish in before a pike took it! 

Not then but can remember my mate Brian Yarnall catching a Pike when we wer about 14/15 in Underbank and taking it home for the pot . His grandad was happy as larry and gutted and cooked it for there tea  next day after soaking it in brine overnight . Brian said it tasted good and was a peppermint green in colour when cooked , I was glad to take his word for it :rolleyes:  

• Haha 1

As the wife and I are resoundingly unhappy in Portugal I'm going location scouting April 23rd-30th to Spain, 7 days booked in La Manga and Mazarron, planning to take a fair amount of tackle with me so really looking forward to some lrf, most likely this will be my first fishing of the year so hopefully I'll have some catches to share! :)

On 23/03/2018 at 10:27, Tarquin said:

There you go again Simon . bringing up memories from my youth . In my day slap was always followed by tickle !!

One of the lads who I was at school with told me about a fishing trip to Underbank Res with his then girlfriend for a days pleasure (fishing) :rolleyes:.

As the day got warmer the fishing side was overtaken by the other pleasure in life and as he was riding " bare ar##d to brighton" as they say he was rudely interrupted by the local sailing club junior section doing a bank clear up . His response was that they thought they were late for there tea as "the moon was up"

Used to fish Underbank. When you were allowed to fish the dam wall.

Those bloody yachts were a nuisance at the weekend, they used to come in too close to the bank, and ruin your swim. The plan was always to have your catapult close, and a few balls of groundbait made up. And if chance, some maggots too.

17 hours ago, Bolsterstone Owl said:

Used to enjoy Underbank.

Plenty of Bream on corn. Once had 80lb. Not one over 2lb.

Not been since the early 90's though.

Often pass it....very lightly fished now.

Looks a bit neglected, and you can't park near the Dam House anymore.

Always been better than the Flask.

Used to fish there most weeks at one point. Bream, roach, perch, and Tommy Ruffe was the normal fayre. Perch to 2lbs 2oz, roach to 1lbs 4oz, Bream averaged about 2.5lbs. 

Oh yeah, and the brown trout of course, which all congregated at the neck-end during early spring, ready to spawn. 

My best pike was from Underbank, at a modest 13lbs 7oz, but there were some monsters caught in there to 38lbs. Caught on a lure btw

Edited by theowlsman

1 hour ago, Tarquin said:

Ahh, Dam Flask I have actually only fished it once . 

Not long after I had passed my driving test I blagged a drive in my dads car "so I could keep my hand in" . Went around Ewden  and over to Bradfield . At Low Bradfield I turned down the north side of the Flask and was assailed by a sight of the "neck end "of the res just covered  in basking Roach obviously intent on breeding . Needless to say the bank was covered in anglers as well . Stopped and watched for a while but nobody was catching much,went down to the bank and asked a chap how it was doing he said its like this most years but nobody catches much but sometimes they feed like mad and we catch loads. Watched him and a load of others casting out with self cocking floats and bunches of maggots and catching nowt but any loose maggots chucked in were being taken .  With this I shot back to Deepcar picked up my tackle and went back to the Flask , I had to wait until the pub opened at 12.00 before I could get on a peg amongst the others . Chap at the side of me said "tha waistin thi time lad not ad a bite since aif past 6 ". 

Set up with what I would have fished the Tin Mill dam with to catch very nervous Roach . 11ft fibreglass whippy rod Mitchell fixed spool reel and 4lb main line . Topped off with a "Dawsons special " 3/4 lb bottom and 22hook single maggot and a very small float taking two small lock shot on the main line . Didn`t have to cast out very far anyway and had a fish a chuck for four hours and had an "audience " behind me but nobody asked me how I was fishing which seemed strange . As I was packing stuff back in the car there was a rush to get into my vacated peg by a bloke from 3 pegs further along and I watched him firing out his self cocking float and bunch of maggots  for a few casts without success  and travelled back to Deepcar with a very smug smile on mi clock

Some people have no idea mate. Presentation is, and always has been, key.