OFFICIAL Coarse and Match Fishing Thread

theowlsman

5 hours ago, Bolsterstone Owl said:

It seemed at one time like half of South Yorkshire were on the Trent or down Lincolnshire every weekend. Such fond memories of club coach matches down there in the 80's as a lad. 

used to do the trent quite regular in the old days they buggered it up though with I believe dredging or something , my first trip early seventies bagged up with chub at those A1 pits ,fishing peg 1 just under the bridge on feeder took two of us to lift the keepnet out , still go sometimes now and get the odd barble but nowhere near as prolific as it used to be 

13 hours ago, trevdi9 said:

used to do the trent quite regular in the old days they buggered it up though with I believe dredging or something , my first trip early seventies bagged up with chub at those A1 pits ,fishing peg 1 just under the bridge on feeder took two of us to lift the keepnet out , still go sometimes now and get the odd barble but nowhere near as prolific as it used to be 

First match I ever fished was on the Trent at Fiskerton as a 10yr old . It was with the Sammy Foxs angling section taken by my uncle Walter Titterton who had made me that tank aerial rod a couple of years earlier. Any "juniors " who went along were not allowed to fish in the actual match but could fish in any spare pegs . 30 pegs booked - 25 on the match I was allowed to "draw  " the upstream end peg  (  so if I fell in there would be rescuers down stream  :sad:.) 

It was so foggy you couldnt see the opposite bank and only one peg either side .  I set up with the aerial rod , center pin reel with 5lb line , 4 "yard bottoms" to 18 hooks  and a coffin lead stopped by a BB shot.  Uncle Walter came along before the "all in " and was going to tell me how to fish with the float and how to plumb depth  in moving water (it was my first time on deep flowing water )  . When he saw how I had set up he said " weers tha lernt  ar ter du that ".  "Library book-- Mr Crabtree goes fishin"  says I ,  "Well ar nivver , dunt gu fallin in when tha catches owt " and off he went :biggrin:

Ended up catching 39 gudgeon  and one roach about 1/2 lb . Ended up with 2lb 5 oz  and would have been 3rd in the actual match . A lot of jokes were aimed at those who caught less than me  as we trundled back to Deepcar .

Few days later dad came home from the Miners Arms  saying my exploits at the match would probably be mentioned in the works magazine , it wasnt,  but the angling bug that was slowly overtaking me was now in overdrive and has been ever since . 61 yrs later and that day in the fog is as clear to me now as it was then .  

• Like 2

23 hours ago, Bolsterstone Owl said:

It seemed at one time like half of South Yorkshire were on the Trent or down Lincolnshire every weekend. Such fond memories of club coach matches down there in the 80's as a lad. 

Same here. Just downstream from Fiskerton. 

18 hours ago, trevdi9 said:

It was at its pomp when the old fashioned power stations were along its length, pumping out warm water into the river. When the power stations started closing down, and the water got cooler, it didn’t fish as well.

Also fished better when it was more coloured (more crap going into it). Also affected by the clearer water as it exposed the fish stocks to predators from above, herons, cormorants etc.

Favourite method is wag and mag, but really enjoyed putting a stick through the Trent in winter when the cold air mist rolled over the lovely warm water below. Your feet were toasty in waders all day, and your keepnet micromesh  was clogged up grey from sieving the river all day! And a stone of roach had men drooling! Oh and orange hands. Once had 64lb of roach at half depth at Clifton Grove. Happy days.  

2 hours ago, theowlsman said:

It was at its pomp when the old fashioned power stations were along its length, pumping out warm water into the river. When the power stations started closing down, and the water got cooler, it didn’t fish as well.

Also fished better when it was more coloured (more crap going into it). Also affected by the clearer water as it exposed the fish stocks to predators from above, herons, cormorants etc.

Exactly what happened. And within the space of two seasons really. 

1 hour ago, Bolsterstone Owl said:

No fishing today! 

IMG-20180228-WA0017.jpeg

Part timer:biggrin: its nowt burra flurry.  Arm gunna shift moor than that in mi back garden.

Lookin ont brightside cant see cormorants bein a problem terday:rolleyes:

• Haha 1

Last round of my winter league yesterday, on Trio lake, at Blundell’s Fishery nr Warrington. Went into it in 2nd place. 

Unfortunately, had a disaster at the draw bag. We’d had an easterly wind for the last few days, and that meant it blowing towards the far corner, peg 23. I said the only peg I don’t want today is peg 23. Fifty odd pegs, and I draw first, to pull out peg 23! Bloody hell.

Knew there wouldn’t be many fish there under the circumstances, and there weren’t. No features either besides my margins, and the fish aren’t coming to the margins yet.

Chucked a method feeder out, and had just three small F1s in the first hour before it all went quiet. 

Went on my 13m line with corn but as soon as I did, I missed a bite, then the easterly got up to make holding the long pole still an impossibility.

Came in shorter to snare a few more small F1s but it was very slow.

Ended up 2/3rds down the field, and out of the Top 3 in the league. A very disappointing finish. I have a feeling that my fishing season is going to mirror Wednesday’s lol

Never really been that lucky at the drawbag. Tried first dib, last  dib, others drawing for me. In 500 matches probably drawn a flyer three times! Like rovers where you draw on paying then when everyone has entered whoever drew 1 has first choice wherever they fancy and so on. Good cos at least you have more choice where to spend five hours. Not generally used though nowadays. 

BTW Trev nice photo! 

• Thanks 1

Have another match tomorrow too, and apparently it’s going to feel like minus 7 degrees. Likely to be down to minus 3 tonight. Might have to break some ice (bloody hell again).

A different winter league, and I have to turn up whatever the weather as I missed the last one, and you only drop one match’s result.

Hudson’s Farm, St Michael’s on Wyre, Doughnut Pool. I know already it’s going to be another grueller. Will be scratching for bites again. Another cold Easterly, and a 25 mph one at that. Best I can hope for is a peg not in the teeth of the wind (why did I say that?) lol