OFFICIAL Coarse and Match Fishing Thread

theowlsman

4 hours ago, Bolsterstone Owl said:

Great thread. Plenty of anglers on here. 

Photo is one of 20 Grayling I had on Don at Oughtibridge, S35 on worm in week. Bloody cold though. All caught trotting through at river pace. River up slightly but running clear. Plenty Grayling showing all over, just odd trout. 

_20180224_131240.JPG

Nice one mate. Never fished The Don. Was polluted all the time I lived in Sheffield.

9 minutes ago, Fuzzy logics said:

Always fancied it but never got round to it. Let us know what it's like...

No match for me today either, dreaded lurgy has struck :sad:

Sorry to hear about that Andy. A hot toddy is what you need, and your Mrs waiting on you hand and foot whilst you lay in bed all day reading Pole Fishing and Match Fishing magazines. Get her to pick you the magazines up in a bit, and then bring them to you with a coffee. Sorted!

To be honest, looking at the exhibitors, they mostly seem to be catering for the carpers. Of interest to us, I can only see Guru, Matrix, Maver and one other match brand (I forget which). I’m still going though because 

a)It gets me away from the house, and any jobs the Mrs has lined up

b)I told Andy (Kinder) I’d pop over for a natter. Haven’t seen him since the summer when I was at Tunnel Barn at the same time he was at Barston winning the Barston Bowl. We met up for dinner and a pint and he introduced me to Paul Holland. What a nice lad he is btw, he gave me his phone number and said I should ring him for the heads up once I’d done my draw the next day at Tunnel.

Speak laters mate. Just setting off now. Get well soon. Another one on the injury list lol

20 hours ago, Bolsterstone Owl said:

Great thread. Plenty of anglers on here. 

Photo is one of 20 Grayling I had on Don at Oughtibridge, S35 on worm in week. Bloody cold though. All caught trotting through at river pace. River up slightly but running clear. Plenty Grayling showing all over, just odd trout. 

_20180224_131240.JPG

This takes me back -- as a lad was in the Sammy Foxs angling section fishing the Tim mill dam . One day it was a bit slow so tried my luck with maggots on the stretch of the Don we had use of which ended at the stepping stones at Wortley station. Caught nowt until I actually trotted it down the "deep run" away from the stepping stones actually standing on the stone at the top end of the run . Had bites almost straight away and missed em all :wacko:. Changed to 20 hook and 1lb bottom and it was a fish a chuck for about an hour catching hand sized roach and the odd larger grayling.  Was getting to the end of my maggots and was about to pack it in when it went all quiet on the bites front , tried one last swim down the peg with a bunch of maggots on the size 20  when the float disappeared and didn`t come back up !! didnt miss this one and was almost pulled in off the stepping stone !  It was a trout of 3lb  which I finally landed at the bank after walking gingerly across the stepping stones to my landing net on the bank . How I didn`t fall in during this is a thing of luck and the balance of Billy Elliot..  Great times 

• Haha 1

29 minutes ago, nevthelodgemoorowl said:

Hook, Line and sinker not for me. When in Coldstream it has to be Stick (TNT) line, sinker and 3 second delay detonator.

The bang is muffled by the water in the dead of night and up to 30 Salmon just float on the surface waiting to be collected. Quite profitable really ! 

Not very sporting Nev and lacking in angling skill. Save that behaviour for when we next play the Blades. lol

I remember for some strange reason we once went down Chatsworth river with crab lines and my mate caught a duck and it was going crazy and we had to free it feathers everywhere the lot went up and people were walking about tutting and shaking their heads. Looking back surprised no park ranger came and shot us for poaching their ducks but pleased to say the duck was okay in the end, maybe a little shook up but it was okay.

But I digress, when you catch fish in these matches do you have to put them back after you catch them? I always wonder about that.

53 minutes ago, mrgund said:

I remember for some strange reason we once went down Chatsworth river with crab lines and my mate caught a duck and it was going crazy and we had to free it feathers everywhere the lot went up and people were walking about tutting and shaking their heads. Looking back surprised no park ranger came and shot us for poaching their ducks but pleased to say the duck was okay in the end, maybe a little shook up but it was okay.

But I digress, when you catch fish in these matches do you have to put them back after you catch them? I always wonder about that.

Yes, they get put back in Mr G. 

And off that river you refer to, the Derbyshire Derwent, I've had my best brown trout of 3.5lbs, and my best grayling of 2lbs 2oz.

• Thanks 1

Andy - Northern Angling Show was a good day out. More geared towards carpers but enough there for us matchmen to justify entry. Very busy, was told they'd had more than 20,000 people through the door in the first couple of hours. Interest in fishing seems to be booming again. Loadsa interest.

Bought a few bits and pieces and got a few bargains. Best bargain was subscribing to a year's supply of Pole fishing magazine for £38.50 and getting shedloads of free bait, groundbait, pellets, soft pellets, mini boilie wafters, flavour glug, flavour spray, etc plus an angling calendar and groundbait bucket. Also got a free Maver baseball cap from Andy.

Best laugh of the day was at the pole alley, when 3 old blokes strode up, and one insisted on wanting to buy the seatbox Maver had provided for customers to sit on, to test the poles. 

Both Andy and Callum (another nice lad btw), insisted it wasn't for sale but this old geezer wasn't having any of it. Sent Callum off to get a price. He came back, and said £170 if you want it. Old bloke says you're having a laugh, I'll give you £120 and I want you to chuck a platform in for that. Think he thought he was at a car boot. Callum said no and the bloke then buggered off to allow Andy and Callum to carry on showing punters the poles. lol

• Haha 2

Remember years ago fishing with my mates near Dunham Bridge. One caught a decent eel. He was waiting for it to stop squirming before he dehooked it when a cat jumped out of a a nearby hedge and grabbed on the eels tail. Therefore he'd managed to catch an eel and a cat with one cast. Had the pee ripped out of him for the next week. 

• Haha 2